Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard, Robles.
Hibbert, Coleman (back next week)
Jagielka, Distin (back next week), Stones, Alcaraz (yeah fair point there like).
Baines, Garbutt
Barry, McCarthy, Osman, Barkley
Mirallas, Pienaar, McGeady,
Lukaku (back after a few games), Naismith, Traore (back next week), McAleny (trying to make things look better here).

????????????????????

Martinez says Lukaku is out for 4-6 weeks, which means he'll miss at least 6 matches and as many as 8.

Yes because that's the only option. Derp.

Short termism turns to day to day crisis management.

No one in business or management ever considers what they do without thinking about medium or long term. Or they usually go out of business.

I would sacrifice this window

If it meant Martinez got the players he wants in the summer. For sure.

Howard, Robles

Stones, Coleman, Hibbo(?) : Jags, Distin, Alcaraz : Baines, Oviedo

Gibson, Osman, McCarthy

Mirallas, Pienaar, Barkley, McGeady, Naismith

Kone

Need at least 2 strikers, a cm and another winger in the summer to replace the loanees if Barry doesn't sign.

Then we have Duffy, Browning, Garbutt and Lundstrum who could break into first team. I'm not counting Gueye cos he's awful and Vellios isn't going to be here any longer if he keeps his nonsense up.

All our loanees are basically starters so we need them and also another 2-3 quality players to come off the bench, in particular a defensive mid.
Looking at that it hits home that most of those are over 30 or approaching it.

We need to be buying young in the summer.

No one in business or management ever considers what they do without thinking about medium or long term. Or they usually go out of business.

I would sacrifice this window

If it meant Martinez got the players he wants in the summer. For sure.

Fairly sure taking a risk now when we're four points off the Champions League places wouldn't automatically lead to 'crisis management'.

Were four points off fourth place and playing some decent attacking togger.

In this window we got rid of Jelavic for actual money and Heitinga. Neither of whom have contributed to the team's performance this year.

We added McGeady for not a lot of money and loaned the massive African with the huge lash up front.

As has been acknowledged we tried to sign some cover in midfield but as also acknowledged it just didn't happen. The reason why its left to late in the month is because the whole system is one huge bellfest and clubs don't want to deal until the last moment. That's just how it is.

The whole transfer window has been turned into a huge whopper production for Sky with loads of jarg rumours - tittish ITKs (as I've been doing) and an unrealistic fan expectation for someone new and shiny to get over excited about and play with on FIFA before they eventually turn to plop.

Its been referenced before that Martinez does have some money and has also been established that he's waiting until the summer to spend it. I would hazard a guess on Barry's contract and Lukaku should there be movement on that. So it was a decision not to spend that budget right now unless the right player came up.

We are in a position as a football club where our owners don't invest money into the club which hinders us in trying to progress, but there's a whole other thread for that.

Like you I'm focused on having a boss Everton to make me feel all giddy inside so I would love nothing more to sign some aceness like the previous transfer deadline day but as explained above it has happened this time. Which is cool, I shouldn't have a sense of entitlement for it anyway.

Now the this whole tedious month is over we can get back to enjoying the togger, free from this whole circus of a sideshow.

Deulofeu is to return soon, Coleman too. Lukaku is out for a matter of weeks. Distin will be back before that and Gibson before the end of the season.

Not even mentioning that Leighton Baines has signed a new contract and commited himself to the club for the foreseeable future.

So don't be feeling glum you, yes YOU. Were still ace and hopefully will prove it in the remainder of the season.

The derby was a horror but these are still good times to be a blue.

Now pipe down and get this whole thread closed ffs.

This, vintage stuff today Lid.

Looking at that it hits home that most of those are over 30 or approaching it.

We need to be buying young in the summer.

Yeah I made a couple of threads on this a few weeks ago. TEN of our players will be either out of contract and/or over 30 two years from the end of the season (this may include heitinga).

Should be signing young players to integrate over the next couple of seasons.

Martinez says Lukaku is out for 4-6 weeks, which means he'll miss at least 6 matches and as many as 8.

Ok swap him in that list for Deulofeu or Vellios bra. Still not bad is it?

Spot on.

This, vintage stuff today Lid.

I'm going back to swerving the loons and debate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.