Match Thread Sheffield United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're probably the only fanbase who would predict a draw or loss against a team who won zero in 14 games.
Shocking mindsets here.
So, what could possibly be the reason for this, Dr. Freud?

Could it be that Evertonians are inherently congenitally pessimistic? Considering that many of their blood relations, RS fans, are anything but, that seems to rule out genetics.

Or could it be that Evertonians have been burned left, right, and centre for decades on end by a team that historically falls to pieces or gets robbed when they don't?

Hmm.

Funnily enough, when Everton reliably beat the teams we are expected to beat and start winning trophies, I suspect the optimism levels will rise. Until then, forgive some of us for half-expecting the worst. It's pure self-preservation at this stage. :)

ITV that mate, Sky hadn’t started

4.15 pm on a Sunday afternoon i believe. One of the first live Everton games on TV after i started supporting, what a letdown!

Talking of let downs........................tonight is gonna be tough. A more or less fully fit first team would be a different story but with half of them out and our propensity for playing down to our opponents level it's not gonna be an easy win like you might think against a team as poor as them currently.

We might win, we might lose. Hell we might even draw. But games aren't won on paper, whichever side gets picked need to give everything and make sure their extra ability shows through. Fail to do that and they have a chance.

Yup, and people will only have themselves to blame after years of replaying this movie and wilfully forgetting how it ends. It'll be marvelous to win tonight, but I've priced in the likelihood of disappointment (if only out of self-preservation) given the side we'll put out tonight. People will be blaming all sorts - the referee, Ancelotti, Brands, VAR, etc, etc, but the reason we struggle so regularly on these occasions is because our players are generally nowhere near as good as some of our optimists imagine.

That said, I genuinely hope the more optimistic types among us are vindicated in their faith tonight. I've been burned too many times over the last 40 years to see things quite as positively, however, and will take whatever measures I can to mitigate the ensuing pain.

Up the Toffees!

Mate. Would be amazing to win tonight. Results have gone our way. We go second. Would be in dream land.

But our squad is threadbare. United aren't as bad as the results show. It's just tough to be optimistic.

If carlo waves some magic...build his statue.

Yeah I mean 'putting in a shift' is the minimum.

He's done well as of late. Just needs to be quicker when he has the ball sometimes - or more importantly, make the right call.
You'd imagine it'd be the minimum,Gomes mustn't listen too carefully in training. Sigurdsson must have had his ears syringed in the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.