Set Pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muggins

Player Valuation: £60m
Sorry lads but some of the freekicks / corners yesterday were not great.

The thing is though. Baines & Bily used to cross the ball with some good height, pace and venom.

Baines' set pieces are getting worse. I assume the 2 hands in the air before taking it means - Low ball coming in straight at the first defender -

and Bily has stopped taking them altogether!! (his crosses against AEK in the home leg were second to none)

Now if this was me. IF this was me. I would spend spare second practicing delivering the ball.

Everyone is jumping on Cahill for doing nothing...i just think the balls aren't good enough.

Baines, you can do much better mate. I have seen you do it and do it well.

But does no-one practice???

I dont get why Bily doesnt get a look in with a few. We should try an mix it up a bit. baines has lost his confidence at set pieces..!!

I hear lots of other teams fans criticizing there set pieces aswell, the Reds hate Steven Gerrard taking them and he's one of the best strikers of the ball in the league, in terms of power and technique.

I think Brownie made a good point the other day, there are very few consistent corner/freekick takers around. Arteta's probably the best we have and even he's inconsistent and frustrating with them.

The only man I'd back to beat the first man is Osman, and that's only because he floats them in with little power. Sometimes it works, alot of the time it's easy to deal with.

We should try short corner more often. It's less predictable and harder to defend.

good point mate. we never do that.

we should though, it disrupts the defenders marking, pulls a bit of space, coz when you play a short corner you might do 1 of 2 things, cross it or pass it through, with the standard corner, everyone knows whats coming.

watch how many other teams vary it.

especially arsenal, but probably coz they are all 4ft 4.

It frustrates me, because for most teams, a corner will result on a shot on goal. For Everton however, it results in either hitting the first man or going into the hands of the goalie. I can't understand why we are unable to have a decent corner. They get worse every week. Surely they must practice them in training?

Another thing with set pieces is how defensive we are at corners. Most of the time we have all 11 players in the box, no one on the half way line or beyond. This means it is just expecting more pressure. If we put Yakubu or someone on the half way line, it draws at least 2 of the oppositions players back to cover him. Its just frustrating as we are just inviting more pressure

Why cant players take turns with em, especially corners?

Baines takes a [Poor language removed] one. Heit on the next. He's [Poor language removed]. Ossie next up. And so on.

Im sure they're train on corners every day and they work out routines in the box that, come game time, never come off because we never clear the first man.

What's up with Billy anyway? Cant he take freekicks? Didnt he set up 2 when he played his 1st game in the Europa League? 2 corners 2 goal?

I dunno.

Sure i'm not expecting top quality delivery from every set piece but it is amazing how often they get wasted.

Surely they must get practised and Moyes can see how ineffective our set pieces have been for a while now.

Its pretty much floated in to the keepers hands, hits the first man or goes too far past the far post where we havent bothered putting any players.

Very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.