Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The frailties in the team will not change until the manager does. Stubborness he is learning frm mistakes he isnt. A cup will only gloss over the cracks. A chicken is still a chicken if it wears a leather coat

Freakin' hell. We're discussing on the basis of a cup run. "If he wins the cup he gets another year". Basically he's ONE game away from being sacked. One game. What does that tell us about the current state of this magnificent club? Has he made any progress?

To me he's as good as gone, no matter what happens on Wednesday.

He should've been sacked after last season

Stones and/or lukaku will be leaving in the summer am sure.
If we are getting all that money maybe a new manager would also be wise.
I've always backed and liked Martinez and I still do like him. As a person he's seems great probably a nice fella around FF with players and staff. However he has got us playing like a more talented Wigan so we will always finish 9th-14th
The board will love this they don't care about ambition of the club it's all about being in the league gaining the money.

The fact Martinez continues to play certain players when they have either past it or not in form has pushed me over the edge and want him gone.

Had this thought on my way to work.

People keep saying 'well if he wins a cup he gets one more year'

I'm sure if you ask now Wigan would swap that F.A cup they have for a much better league performance in hindsight. At what price is a cup win under martinez considering his last one?

Its getting to the point for me now that if he wins the League Cup but doesnt show the he can and will change then he can go. "Thanks for the Cup, Roberto but this team should be winning cups & challenging top four."

I take a bit of confidence from the fact he said this conceding is not good enough.

At least we're not being fed the old "it's a unique opportunity for the opposition to take part in a phenomenal goal scoring defeat".

Is this really what we have now come to as a club though mate, our manager speaks 10% less bullshit and we lap it up as a positive, sorry but 1 win in 10, worse defensive record in the league at home, 10 wins and 10 losses in the last season and a half at Goodison, even the Sunderland game which is one of the good results at home this season should have seen them take a 2-0 lead against us at home, and they still managed at 2-0 to come back to 2-2, bloody Sunderland...

We are so bad at home compared to away this season and it has nothing to do with the support, its to do with the mentality of the squad, away from home their is no pressure, at home they will always have the pressure on them and they fold like a house of cards - and that is down to the manager entirely.

First season i was in love with the guy for what he did, hindsight as @chicoazul and his vaulting/liking of old posts is great in that way, in reality looking back we benefited from a legacy what Moyes left - Martinez made us more exciting but we still had that solid shape, tougher mental approach to games etc, now thats gone THIS is the Martinez Everton and sorry to say but it is not an Everton that will ever win anything

I've slept on it to see how I feel, and this morning I'm still fed up. Leaning towards wanting him gone for the first time since the meltdown in Kiev last season. The results aren't good enough and if I continually failed to rectify issues at work in the way he does I'd be sacked.

He should be given until the end of the season, anything less than a sharp change in form and he doesn't deserve the job.

Its getting to the point for me now that if he wins the League Cup but doesnt show the he can and will change then he can go. "Thanks for the Cup, Roberto but this team should be winning cups & challenging top four."
To be honest, the problem here is that essentially we are on a ticking clock. We haven't got all the time in the world to get things right, we haven't got another 11 years of a manager to make progress. We win the cup and great, a trophy, well done Roberto. It may convince the players with ambition to stay for another season, then what? another season like these two and they will be gone, and so will any chance of actually kicking on.

I said it before on the transfer thread, the problem is, we can sell our best players but the type of player we would then need is already here. A young 20 goal a season striker, a creative and explosive midfielder, a young defender who can command a first team place already, an assisting winger etc With all the money in the world, how do we come up lucky finding all of that, and hope they bed in, and can play in this league? that is essentially the long term problem we face with martinez, without him, perhaps we have another shot at looking like a team with ambition.
but that is the key word, ambition. right now, our ambition is to finally win a game, is that good enough? Is a league cup our ambition just because it is a cup when the league is wide open to go that extra step, make that extra money and most importantly keep our best players?

Is this really what we have now come to as a club though mate, our manager speaks 10% less bullshit and we lap it up as a positive, sorry but 1 win in 10, worse defensive record in the league at home, 10 wins and 10 losses in the last season and a half at Goodison, even the Sunderland game which is one of the good results at home this season should have seen them take a 2-0 lead against us at home, and they still managed at 2-0 to come back to 2-2, bloody Sunderland...

We are so bad at home compared to away this season and it has nothing to do with the support, its to do with the mentality of the squad, away from home their is no pressure, at home they will always have the pressure on them and they fold like a house of cards - and that is down to the manager entirely.

First season i was in love with the guy for what he did, hindsight as @chicoazul and his vaulting/liking of old posts is great in that way, in reality looking back we benefited from a legacy what Moyes left - Martinez made us more exciting but we still had that solid shape, tougher mental approach to games etc, now thats gone THIS is the Martinez Everton and sorry to say but it is not an Everton that will ever win anything
Thing is mate, we are threatening to win something this season. Sad thing is, our league form is again holding us back again, and we haven't got the excuse from last year to blame it on.

Thing is mate, we are threatening to win something this season. Sad thing is, our league form is again holding us back again, and we haven't got the excuse from last year to blame it on.

reached two semi's and a final under Moyes too mate, won nothing and never would have under him, same with Martinez - we won't get past both City at their place followed by winning a final against the rs/stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.