Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days on both signings really.
Yeah, I was more trying to illustrate that strikers are ridiculously expensive.

I mean...MLS is paying 6 million for over the hill strikers. You either have to have oil money, strike gold on an unknown, get by with mediocre(Kone, Jelavic), or grow your own strikers.

Or use the loan market I guess.

Yeah, I was more trying to illustrate that strikers are ridiculously expensive.

I mean...MLS is paying 6 million for over the hill strikers. You either have to have oil money, strike gold on an unknown, get by with mediocre(Kone, Jelavic), or grow your own strikers.

Or use the loan market I guess.

Hull seemed to have done alright so far.

What the MLS pay for players is not really relevant. They're buying prestige - a big name. Not to mention talent. By it's own standards; Defoe is now the best player in the league by a long way.

Hull seemed to have done alright so far.
I think that's an interesting discussion actually.

I think when you play a game like Hull does (or West Ham, or any Pulis team) you can get by with cheaper strikers. I think those teams need poachers more than anything. Players that can poke the ball into the net as it bounces around in the box. And there are a lot of those players, of varying quality, but there are a bunch of them, which keeps the prices down a bit.

I don't think that style will ever get a team in the CL from the Premier league again though. I don't think it works (often enough) against teams with superior quality. So you need to change the style to be more cutting, and less hopeful. The problem for us, is that strikers that can work on a team set up to make the CL are really quite expensive, because they have more to do. It's no longer just put the ball in the net. Not every attack is funneled to them. Now they need to link up with midfield more and open up space for the midfield players to get goals to go along with scoring themselves. By definition that's a more difficult task.

I suspect that the cost of a midtable striker to a CL striker has a higher cost-growth than any other position because it's not just doing the same job but better, it's doing a fundamentally different job.

Or I'm stupid, Everton get crap strikers and that's just the way it is.

What the MLS pay for players is not really relevant. They're buying prestige - a big name. Not to mention talent. By it's own standards; Defoe is now the best player in the league by a long way.
Not really by a long way.

Henry. Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan. He may be the best player, but it's not like Zlatan in the French league.

Not really by a long way.

Henry. Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan. He may be the best player, but it's not like Zlatan in the French league.

Arguably, out of those names, only Donovan could cut it in the prem. Defoe has still been banging goals in at a much higher level than the MLS for the last season and a half.

Yeah, or he may not be the best player in the league.
You'd know better than me. I don't watch MLS.

Arguably, out of those names, only Donovan could cut it in the prem. Defoe has still been banging goals in at a much higher level than the MLS for the last season and a half.

Bradley was a squad player for Roma this year, and Dempsey was fine for Fulham recently. And lets be honest, Defoe was just a squad player in the Prem as well. Would start for the bottom half of the league, but the bottom half of the league is dross.

Cameron seems to have settled in the PL. The leagues are vastly different, as are the cultures also, but it's a stretch by any imagination to assume that arguably only Donovan could cut it in the perm. Remember he wasn't good enough for the Bundesliga, right? Obviously then PL players can't cut it in Bundesliga either.

I think that's an interesting discussion actually.
I think when you play a game like Hull does (or West Ham, or any Pulis team) you can get by with cheaper strikers. I think those teams need poachers more than anything. Players that can poke the ball into the net as it bounces around in the box. And there are a lot of those players, of varying quality, but there are a bunch of them, which keeps the prices down a bit.

I don't think that style will ever get a team in the CL from the Premier league again though. I don't think it works (often enough) against teams with superior quality. So you need to change the style to be more cutting, and less hopeful. The problem for us, is that strikers that can work on a team set up to make the CL are really quite expensive, because they have more to do. It's no longer just put the ball in the net. Not every attack is funneled to them. Now they need to link up with midfield more and open up space for the midfield players to get goals to go along with scoring themselves. By definition that's a more difficult task.

I suspect that the cost of a midtable striker to a CL striker has a higher cost-growth than any other position because it's not just doing the same job but better, it's doing a fundamentally different job.

Or I'm stupid, Everton get crap strikers and that's just the way it is.

Very astute post that mate and it applies equally throughout the team if aiming to compete with the monied crew. The skill level and pace needs upping battlers/runners and general good eggs are fine if you accept not challenging for trophies and CL but clearly that isn't the Martinez mindset (as it shouldn't be for any EFC manager).

The type of loanees and promotion of Oviedo/Barkley/Stones show RM agreed with many about this long term weakness and the consequent change in fortunes were fantastic.

Any open minded individual would never argue the improvement but it still remains we are short on numbers and quality so come the injuries we are "donald ducked".

Regarding the January window I maintain it was worth sacrificing simply because we ain't got the dough to waste in a cack transfer period far better to be assured and buy accordingly in the summer.

Keep the faith.

Last edited:
I agree, maybe in 11 years we can start the "compared with Moyes" shouts.

Martinez should be judged in his tenure alone, at least for the next 5 years.

Come on mate, it's ridiculous to suggest that we can't compare our current manager with his predecessor for another 11 years.

I understand the idea that Moyes had longevity and had us consistently finishing in the top 6. Fair enough, that is something Martinez can only be judged on in time.

But we can make immediate comparisons - and unfortunately for Moyes lovers, Martinez is already doing better than Moyes did in terms of gathering points, not only compared with last season, but also compared with Moyes 11 years. I mentioned it earlier - if we win our next 2 home games, we'll have more points after 29 games that we've had at the '29 games played stage' of a season since we won the league in 1987.

Martinez is doing fantastically well when you look at how we've fared across seasons historically.

Status
Not open for further replies.