Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I hope that we can give Roberto the same sort of time to build his empire and bring through some of our promising, young players.

At a certain point people go for what they imagine is the coup de grace and end up slicing their balls off

I strongly suggest that Roberto might not be afforded such largesse by the new owner, and that Rom might have seen enough of the dodgy foundations and ain't sticking around waiting for Rome to be built

I disagree with that.

Moyes was given a splendid farewell against Hammers in his final match.

We parted on the best of terms.......I know of no one who begrudged him his chance to move to Old Traffird.

It was in that summer when he alienated the Everton fans with his patronising comments about our club and his derisory bids for our best players.

The hatred was never "irrational".....he brought it on himself.

I for one would regard it as a retrograde step to fetch him back and it would shatter all my illusions that the new money coming in is going to transform our fortunes.

I would also say he doesn't "know the club" anymore.

One of the snidey comments he made was about "I know how Everon works.....Roberto will soon find out".

Well, within a year Bobby was paying £28 million for a player and a year later was able to tell Jose that money can't buy you Stones.

Luxuries wee Davey was never afforded in the club he knew so well.

And with Mr. Moshiri now involved the landscape has changed yet further.
Excellent , excellent post

I disagree with that.

Moyes was given a splendid farewell against Hammers in his final match.

We parted on the best of terms.......I know of no one who begrudged him his chance to move to Old Traffird.

It was in that summer when he alienated the Everton fans with his patronising comments about our club and his derisory bids for our best players.

The hatred was never "irrational".....he brought it on himself.

I for one would regard it as a retrograde step to fetch him back and it would shatter all my illusions that the new money coming in is going to transform our fortunes.

I would also say he doesn't "know the club" anymore.

One of the snidey comments he made was about "I know how Everon works.....Roberto will soon find out".

Well, within a year Bobby was paying £28 million for a player and a year later was able to tell Jose that money can't buy you Stones.

Luxuries wee Davey was never afforded in the club he knew so well.

And with Mr. Moshiri now involved the landscape has changed yet further.

Definitely irrational - not unusual for a manager going to a new club to try to poach his old players - for Moyes it was the only network he had. He made comments but think that was more his own media ineptitude rather than malice intended

Plus he was never comfortable at Man U - imagine the pressure on him succeededing SAF when he wasn't used to winning vs top 4 as it was. Ferguson picked him partly because he was s fellow Scot / UK manager - nice idea but didn't work

The dislike of Moyes is definitely emotionally driven - he was with us so long and did pretty well consistently, then to turn to such vitriol so quickly isn't rational

Moshiri could afford to buy us outright but he hasn't been allowed to..yet. I'm sure that the new investor will defer to Bill's experience and, if he doesn't, they could simply outvote him anyway.

It was not a question of what he was allowed - Moshiri will take full control of the club be in no doubt, but it was not sensible for there to be a change of ownership (ie Moshiri acquiring more than 50.1%) at the time of his purchase because of the stadium situation and the Prudential loan.

However this will be resolved shortly.

He owns a bit more than 49%. Hell, Granchester hates Kenwright, if Moshiri decides he wants to sack ANYONE at the club, he just needs less than 1% to back him i think for a majority say.

It was set at 49% (49.9% according to Wiki) deliberately so that the existing shareholders retain a majority interest.

I'd imagine that Lord Grantchester has a passive interest in the club these days, as he left the board in 2000. He has a net worth of £1200m and could easily have bought Kenwright out a long time ago or sold his shares altogether if he detested him that much.

It was not a question of what he was allowed - Moshiri will take full control of the club be in no doubt, but it was not sensible for there to be a change of ownership (ie Moshiri acquiring more than 50.1%) at the time of his purchase because of the stadium situation and the Prudential loan.

However this will be resolved shortly.

He will only take control if he finds willing sellers. He's on probation until the the old guard decide that he's the right custodian for the club.

If it was for any other reason he could have bought a greater or a lesser stake.

Had a great conversation with a Utd buddy of mine who was at the game yesterday. Things that stood out for me was loads of Utd fans spent majority of time watching cricket final on on the phone such was the Boring nature of the match. He said Everton players looked programmed and disinterested, Barkley looked a class act but when faced with space his first instinct is to play the ball backwards, they look like a team totally overcoached who retain possession well all very pretty but are resorted to hitting balls into the feet of Lukaku who is totally isolated. Players arguing McCarthy and Stones having pops at Lukaku and Coleman and Deulofeu blatantly ignoring Martinez when he was trying to shout out orders. The body language of the players was poor and he felt that they were just going through the motions, on paper he said he DeGea, Blind, Martial, Smalling and Mata would be the only players he reckons would get into Everton squad.

Fairly depressing that we are so far behind them when he said it's the worse Utd team he can remember.

Nothing that we probably didn't know but to hear it from an opposing supporter rammed it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.