Our new kids. This year's academy intake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

when i score we riot

Player Valuation: £35m
Figured i should start a thread to put together a little bit of info anyone might have about this years youth intake, announced yesterday at the os:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011/07/01/academy-welcomes-new-intake

efc__1309596291_NEWintake494.jpg

The nine lads to have signed with the Club are (from left to right): Mason Springthorpe, Jasper Johns, Tom Molyneux, Mateusz Taudul, Ibou Touray, George Waring, Chris Long, Matthew Pennington and Conor Grant.

So what do we know about these kids? Let's get our overview on!

Firstly, there's Mason Springthorpe and Mateusz Taudul, both 16 year old goalkeepers recently aquired by our club and discussed on this forum. Here's Mason's thread. And here's our very own polish talent.

Next there's Jasper Johns, a namesake of the famous, gay american artist, he's one of the brighter prospect to come through our academy this year, i believe. From what little i know of him he's a defender/midfielder, most likely one to play in the same areas of someone like Johnny H. Bought from Port Vale at 14 years old, he's already debuted for the England U16's last fall in the victory shield. A game i believe was lost heavily, though i haven't bothered looking that up.

Another player to debut in the same game as Johns, and also in our intake here, is Chris Long. Now, i base all my info about these players on googling, and as a fun thing i found this kid's old Myspace, updated last when he was 14. Mildly hilarious. Long, or Longy, haha, plays as a striker and has bagged a few in younger kids' games, playing up on top with Hallam Hope.

Tom Molyneux plays in midfield, and regularly contributed in the U18's campaign to win the league last year. I know he had the assist for the third goal when we beat Villa 3-2 in the semi final after coming on as a sub.

Ibou Touray is from Toxteth and used to turn out for the Finn Harps. He plays as a defender. Not sure if he's been at the academy for long or if he's an "acquisition" like our two goalies.

George Waring is a striker that originally came from Chester FC. He's a big and strong target man type and took the plaudits when he scored the winning goal in the U18 league final against Fulham with a header after coming on as a late sub.

Matthew Pennington is a defender and as far as i know is an original academy product. Much else is not known about the boy other than that he won the award for best academy player in his age group (U14) at the end of season galla in 2009.

Conor Grant is a midfielder player, also an academy product through and through. Has turned out for the U18's last year and even scored a few goals. Appearantly his nickname is "Sheedy" and his idol is, among others, Mikel Arteta. So i figure that's a good thing.

Right.

Just what a quick googling would tell me about these lads. Anyone got anything else on these, or just an opinion, post it here. We've been screaming for transfer activity, these kids are like 9 new signings! Isn't it great?

It must be doubly exciting for them...to know that without a doubt you'll be sitting on the bench for at least 10 Premier League games when our squad gets nailed around February.

What are the statistics for young players to go from academy to first team and actually contribute?

1 in 10?

1 in 50?

1 in 100?

What are the statistics for young players to go from academy to first team and actually contribute?

1 in 10?

1 in 50?

1 in 100?

About 1 in 75. We're talking Tony Hibbert, Leon Osman, Wayne Rooney, Jack Rodwell and if you want to be nit-picky Phil Jagielka in the last decade or so.

Best of luck lads.

Beware the internet ninjas they will jib you off right now and then go chicken oriental when your not getting a chance in the first team after an impressive preseason cameo!

Status
Not open for further replies.