On this day 45 years ago . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton appointed a new manager. Welcome to Everton Gordon Francis Lee.
View attachment 154109
Lee took over from Billy Bingham.
In what is generally considered a very poor period for the club Lee finished his first season (1976-77) In 9th position, but also led us to that titanic League Cup Final against Aston Villa which lasted longer than your average Everton board decision. Aston Villa eventually winning the second replay 3-2 at Old Trafford.
We also had that epic FA Cup run which was eventually brought to an end by Clive (expletive deleted) Thomas following a replayed Semi Final against the Devils spawn.
The following season (1977-78) we finished 3rd in the table with signings like George Wood and Trevor Ross.
1978-79 we finished 4th.
1979-80 was a disaster finishing in 19th place. Another FA Cup Semi-Final went to a replay before West Ham won 2-1 (with Frank Lampard Sr. scoring the winner in Extra time)
1980-81 saw a 15th place finish and Lee was sacked on 6th May 1981

Ultimately a failure of course, but looking back now, I wonder how many of our younger fanbase would like to have experienced those 3 games of the League Cup Final against Villa, or the FA Cup runs in 1976 and 1980?
Went to the cup final against Villa at Wembley. What an awful game but great atmosphere and occasion. I was 17. Went to the West Ham Replay at Elland Road but we took the wrong turning, never got there, drove all the way home and listened to in the car outside the pub. The Clive Thomas semi (the rat). Heartbroken. If we'd have have won any one of those games I think we'd have gone on to achieve better things, if we'd have won them all, it could have been the catalyst to greatness. Everton that.

The Gordon Lee era has a very special place in my heart. I was a teenage match going regular, standing on the Gwladys Street and loved them all. Bob Latchford, Martin Dobson, the adorable Ronnie Goodlass who is an absolute gent on Twitter, Georgie Wood.
Not sure what you are on about here,
one of the first things he did was sell Goodlass and replace him with Dave Thomas

View attachment 154109
In what is generally considered a very poor period for the club Lee finished his first season (1976-77) In 9th position, but also led us to that titanic League Cup Final against Aston Villa which lasted longer than your average Everton board decision. Aston Villa eventually winning the second replay 3-2 at Old Trafford.
We also had that epic FA Cup run which was eventually brought to an end by Clive (expletive deleted) Thomas following a replayed Semi Final against the Devils spawn.
The following season (1977-78) we finished 3rd in the table with signings like George Wood and Trevor Ross.
1978-79 we finished 4th.
1979-80 was a disaster finishing in 19th place. Another FA Cup Semi-Final went to a replay before West Ham won 2-1 (with Frank Lampard Sr. scoring the winner in Extra time)

Ultimately a failure of course, but looking back now, I wonder how many of our younger fanbase would like to have experienced those 3 games of the League Cup Final against Villa, or the FA Cup runs in 1976 and 1980?
Kev, never mind those cup games….I think we’d all love a 3rd or 4th placed finish. It’s been far too long.

Reactions: kev
Was at Wembley and Old Trafford my old man wouldn't let me miss school for the Sheffield based replay.

Cried when we lost, Dad said not taking you again if you gonna cry! Hard Toffee he is!!

Was a strange Era late 70's Lee overall had a good run ruined by poor decisions and Clive(expletive deleted?) Thomas.

Only a few years to wait until the Beautiful mid 80's though.
My dad wouldn’t let me go to Wembley, but arranged for me to go with his mates to Hillsborough and then Old Trafford. I can still clearly picture standing behind the goal and watching Brian Little running in to slot their winner past Lawson. It was a long journey back on the East Lancs that night.

So close to winning something back then, maybe it was bad management and player recruitment, but in the FA Cup, it was deffo down to a corrupt referee!

But Howard wasn’t too far away…

Now, coz I’m apparently auld, matron says it’s time for my evening enema followed by watching Call the Midwife.

Night, night all you bed wetting youngsters.

UTFT

My dad wouldn’t let me go to Wembley, but arranged for me to go with his mates to Hillsborough and then Old Trafford. I can still clearly picture standing behind the goal and watching Brian Little running in to slot their winner past Lawson. It was a long journey back on the East Lancs that night.

So close to winning something back then, maybe it was bad management and player recruitment, but in the FA Cup, it was deffo down to a corrupt referee!

But Howard wasn’t too far away…

Now, coz I’m apparently auld, matron says it’s time for my evening enema followed by watching Call the Midwife.

Night, night all you bed wetting youngsters.

UTFT
Great Post!

*gets tube and warm water ready......

Still going plays golf etc - deserved a trophy - Clive Thomas -

1643576197062.png

View attachment 154109
1978-79 we finished 4th.

Those 3 league cup final matches. Duncan McKenzie dropped. A loopy shot ( that could have gone anywhere) at goal from the English guy who played for N.Ireland. Chris something.( Can't remember). David Lawson grasping fresh air. Still rankles a wee bit that we couldn't win that cup.
And then there was Frank Lampard seniors loopy header that could have gone anywhere also. But no.......being Everton......loopy shots and headers hit the back of the net.
And then there is Clive Thomas. Why did I even look at this thread. Aaarrrggg.
But there again. We won nothing. But we did see McKenzie.....Latchford.....Dave Thomas......Andy King......Martin Dobson.....Mike Lyons. If only we had a proper keeper and a few more competent defenders.

View attachment 154109
1978-79 we finished 4th.

Yes,we were still expected to win stuff then and that was his downfall

Reactions: kev

Status
Not open for further replies.