NEWCASTLE UNITED VS EVERTON MATCH OFFICIALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day it all stems from the manager and his philosophy of management. Does he make a big deal of these things? No. Does he put pressure on referees to even out their mistakes? No. Other managers and players do, so is it really any surprise when we're treated as a sort touch by those making the decisions? Penalty decision last minute at Stamford Bridge, Terry would be all over the referee, Cahill, Ivanovic, Matic, Costa would be surrounding him piling huge amounts of pressure on him, the official knowing Mourinho will be publicly slating him if he doesn't give the decision. Same situation at Goodison, we'd perhaps ask the question, the players would just carry on playing and Martinez would cite poor decisions in his post game interview. Referees know they can have an easy time and go home without any controversy with Everton by turning away any iffy calls or simply avoiding an earful from other teams.

At the end of the day it all stems from the manager and his philosophy of management. Does he make a big deal of these things? No. Does he put pressure on referees to even out their mistakes? No. Other managers and players do, so is it really any surprise when we're treated as a sort touch by those making the decisions? Penalty decision last minute at Stamford Bridge, Terry would be all over the referee, Cahill, Ivanovic, Matic, Costa would be surrounding him piling huge amounts of pressure on him, the official knowing Mourinho will be publicly slating him if he doesn't give the decision. Same situation at Goodison, we'd perhaps ask the question, the players would just carry on playing and Martinez would cite poor decisions in his post game interview. Referees know they can have an easy time and go home without any controversy with Everton by turning away any iffy calls or simply avoiding an earful from other teams.

It's a fair call mate and something as fans we would love to see publicly and it would be nice if a few if them take a hit and come out and basically admit the ref has been a tit and cost us.

mourinho is showing the way today btw. chelsea have probably barely had a bad decision against them this season, yet he is shouting conspiracy. all refs in this league are spineless, watch them get the majority of decisions now.

martinez is too nice at the end of the day, get ferguson in front of the mic.

that was utterly shameful from the ref today, disgusting from cisse, it wasn't one elbow that he may have missed, it was 3 times right in front of his face with him clearly looking at it. i think refs are too scared these days to give things like that because they think they may have seen something that didn't happen. get a replay up on TV for them or a 4th official to see and the right decision is made. same as the walters one. if the ref gets another look at the replay, he can make the right decision. the game has already been stopped, who cares about the extra time it will take. stop the clock ffs.

players feiging injury every week takes up more time anyway.

back to the cisse point, what in the world is going through that ugly [Poor language removed]'s face? your mentally ill and deserved to be locked up if you lash 3 elbows at someone after being unprovoked. if someone does that on a street it's assault right?

3 game ban, justice served blah blah blah - changed the game, regardless of how on top they were. like i said after stoke, you don't see teams get the bad luck in the last couple of games like we do and end up winning it.

Yeah were getting shafted left right and center by the officials but were also architects of our own downfall. We cant keep looking at the mistakes these guys are making when we are making ones of our own which are far worse.

Some of the unenforced mistakes Everton players have made this season have been shocking, dithering from McGeedy today, just like Barry did at Spurs...etc are what is really costing us. Its to simplistic to look at the refs and blame them for us dropping points, we need to look closer to home.

Aside from that were going to get nothing from the officials this season and Martinez is too nice to make a real point about it. Try making the calls against some of the more outspoken managers that have gone against us this year and it wont just be the clubs highlighting it but the media as well.

There's real concern when a player is getting UFC moves pulled on him and none of his team mates or manager have the balls to stick up for him.
This. Bunch of carts. No spine, just happy to take home their paychecks and have an easy life.

Yeah were getting shafted left right and center by the officials but were also architects of our own downfall. We cant keep looking at the mistakes these guys are making when we are making ones of our own which are far worse.

Some of the unenforced mistakes Everton players have made this season have been shocking, dithering from McGeedy today, just like Barry did at Spurs...etc are what is really costing us. Its to simplistic to look at the refs and blame them for us dropping points, we need to look closer to home.

Aside from that were going to get nothing from the officials this season and Martinez is too nice to make a real point about it. Try making the calls against some of the more outspoken managers that have gone against us this year and it wont just be the clubs highlighting it but the media as well.

Likewise, it's simplistic to say "we're making mistakes" and dismiss the many things that influence them beyond straightforward laziness or players nodding off.

Part of it's going to be injuries, which are preventing the players from bedding in as an actual team.

Part of it could well be the atmosphere - there's been plenty of discussion about what we could do about that as fans.

Part of it's definitely various seemingly bizarre decisions Martinez has made (or not made) and he needs to sort those out.

And part of it is the fact that we're currently averaging a dodgy penalty every other game, and are seeing repeated dangerous play go unpunished.

You have to play every bit of the game which is under your control, as Mourinho seems to realise. We might not like it, but playing the referee is worth as many points each season as (say) playing the offside trap. And from a basic psychological perspective, it is much easier to perform when you know that your performance will, close as makes no odds, be the determining factor in what happens. Yes they're professionals and we can demand a basic standard from them for that (which they're arguably not meeting right now), but in the grand scheme of things money is actually a pretty poor motivator when you've got loads of it and you know you're going to keep getting loads of it.

If we keep getting crap decisions, heads are going to keep dropping - if we want to get back on track, we need to do everything in our power to make that happen, and not rolling over for officials like we do now is (for better or worse) part of that.

why should we be happy enough to accept our own failings, but not those of the officials? at the end of the day we could play a perfect game and still get screwed over by officials.

mind you monk at swansea seems seems to be bringing it up week after week, but still the following week a bad decision goes against them. no surprises that they're a nice team as well, whereas a thug team like liverpool seem to get a lot in their favour. less so this season with their biggest snide gone - funny that.

As long as the Everton players quietly accept any awful decisions from the referees this will just go on longer and longer. We must have the worst squad in the world for leadership and a pathetic mouse of a captain in Jagielka who simply refuses to get involved with referees no matter what the injustice.

Annoys me every week for about the last 10 or 12 years. It was a Moyes thing, "don't argue with the ref"

Was watching UTD yesterday, EVERY decision against them, at least one player having a proper moan at the ref. Just for fouls given, not even bookings. Let the ref know you think he's a Fin idiot, it does make them think twice. He's human after all. Nobody like's confrontation, particularly when you are on the back foot.

Martinez needs to learn from Mourinho too, Mourinho who is top of the league yet he complains about refs every week. As previously mentioned, City should have been down to 9 men, Stoke 10 and Newcastle 10.

I'm against video refs but something has to change, maybe it's the only way for 'justice' to be served. A three game ban for Cisse doesn't help us at all.

A good friend of mine was a top ref in the 80s and he used to tell me that he hated reffing Everton. Reid, Sharp and a few others would give him a mouthful even when he'd given the decision in our favour. And that, I would suggest, is one reason that team rarely got bad decisions against them - and why they were so successful. Under Moyes we were too accepting of poor refs. Under Martinez we're all Corinthians.

oh look, BBC running a story on whether there's a conspiracy over chelsea. because of mourinho's rants. nothing about everything against us - didn't even mention the Cisse elbow in their match report.

grow a pair everton, you're like that guy who stays with his missus every time she admits she's shagged another bloke.

Go back a few years, I used to love the fact that we don't get involved in berating officials, and that our players seemed to do everything they could to stay on their feet unless really solidly fouled, and that we'd always put the ball out for an "injured" opposition player. I liked the fact that we played (and for the most part still do) the game the way it's supposed to be played.

But you know what, over the last month - and particularly last night - the penny has finally dropped.

I'm sick to the fkn back teeth of us playing a different game from everyone else in the league.

Yeah, we're playing badly, but it doesn't help when it feels like we're up against 14 men three games out of every four... And as others have said, we make it SO EASY for the officials and the opponents to shaft us with stuff like this.

Last night, it started with Eto'o putting the ball out for Tioté (arguably the biggest snide on the pitch)... Now, if a player has had their leg snapped in half, then fair enough, you need to get the physio on asap... but he'd taken a shot to the knackers! Painful, yes, and we can all sympathise... but it's hardly fkn life threatening!

And what do we do? We've got the ball in their penalty area, and with their defence all over the shop, and we PUT THE BALL OUT OF PLAY! An opportunity to maybe take a 2-0 lead, and really try to cement our confidence (which I still think is one of our biggest problems at the moment) and we pass it up to "be the nice guys"... Now if everyone did the same, then fair enough, but does anyone here reckon Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, any of them - or even Tioté himself - would have done that? Would they [Poor language removed].

Then there's the Cissé incident. Cissé elbows Coleman in the face... Once? No, three times in as many seconds... The ref is looking straight at it, but do we kick up a fuss? No, we just get on with the game, and make it easy for the official to err on the side of not making a decision.

And do we get help from karma for this gentlemanly conduct? Do we hell, instead we get bent over by it, when the same player who should be off the field and up for a minimum 3 game ban pops up and scores the equaliser not 3 minutes later.

There have also been occasions in at least 3 of the last 4 games where our players have been fouled in the box, and stumbled on, trying to stay on their feet. Now I'm still not advocating all out diving, but when you're fouled in the area, in this day and age, you HAVE to go down. These pricks of referees aren't competent enough to make decent decisions at the best of times, so you have GOT TO do what you can to make them make the right decision.

We also need the manager to make more of an issue out of these decisions - it's not like it's one big one a season - at the moment it's one a game. It's no good saying "we felt maybe some calls went against us, but the refs have a tough job"... There's a reason the likes of Ferguson and Mourinho got/get the majority of decisions.

I'm sick of being a soft touch when it comes to the officials, and getting NOTHING back in return for being "nice". We need to start playing the same game as everyone else.

Working the referee at all levels of football is an integral part of the game. watch Wayne Rooney ,as soon as 2 or 3 decisions go against united he is in the refs ear.

Go back a few years, I used to love the fact that we don't get involved in berating officials, and that our players seemed to do everything they could to stay on their feet unless really solidly fouled, and that we'd always put the ball out for an "injured" opposition player. I liked the fact that we played (and for the most part still do) the game the way it's supposed to be played.

But you know what, over the last month - and particularly last night - the penny has finally dropped.

I'm sick to the fkn back teeth of us playing a different game from everyone else in the league.

Yeah, we're playing badly, but it doesn't help when it feels like we're up against 14 men three games out of every four... And as others have said, we make it SO EASY for the officials and the opponents to shaft us with stuff like this.

Last night, it started with Eto'o putting the ball out for Tioté (arguably the biggest snide on the pitch)... Now, if a player has had their leg snapped in half, then fair enough, you need to get the physio on asap... but he'd taken a shot to the knackers! Painful, yes, and we can all sympathise... but it's hardly fkn life threatening!

And what do we do? We've got the ball in their penalty area, and with their defence all over the shop, and we PUT THE BALL OUT OF PLAY! An opportunity to maybe take a 2-0 lead, and really try to cement our confidence (which I still think is one of our biggest problems at the moment) and we pass it up to "be the nice guys"... Now if everyone did the same, then fair enough, but does anyone here reckon Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, any of them - or even Tioté himself - would have done that? Would they [Poor language removed].

Then there's the Cissé incident. Cissé elbows Coleman in the face... Once? No, three times in as many seconds... The ref is looking straight at it, but do we kick up a fuss? No, we just get on with the game, and make it easy for the official to err on the side of not making a decision.

And do we get help from karma for this gentlemanly conduct? Do we hell, instead we get bent over by it, when the same player who should be off the field and up for a minimum 3 game ban pops up and scores the equaliser not 3 minutes later.

There have also been occasions in at least 3 of the last 4 games where our players have been fouled in the box, and stumbled on, trying to stay on their feet. Now I'm still not advocating all out diving, but when you're fouled in the area, in this day and age, you HAVE to go down. These pricks of referees aren't competent enough to make decent decisions at the best of times, so you have GOT TO do what you can to make them make the right decision.

We also need the manager to make more of an issue out of these decisions - it's not like it's one big one a season - at the moment it's one a game. It's no good saying "we felt maybe some calls went against us, but the refs have a tough job"... There's a reason the likes of Ferguson and Mourinho got/get the majority of decisions.

I'm sick of being a soft touch when it comes to the officials, and getting NOTHING back in return for being "nice". We need to start playing the same game as everyone else.

Great post mate,almost feel I've written that myself!!also our lot stay on their feet in the box when there is contact,Baines is a right one for this,we get walked all over by these beggars,you can become paranoid but fella's like Lee Mason?you can't tell me he hasn't got an agenda against us,remember the WBA game 5/6 years ago when Baines was wiped out with a head injury and Arteta was sent off?We will never get anything til unfortunately we become like the rest of them and our Manager/Players moan their heads off.

Great post mate,almost feel I've written that myself!!also our lot stay on their feet in the box when there is contact,Baines is a right one for this,we get walked all over by these beggars,you can become paranoid but fella's like Lee Mason?you can't tell me he hasn't got an agenda against us,remember the WBA game 5/6 years ago when Baines was wiped out with a head injury and Arteta was sent off?We will never get anything til unfortunately we become like the rest of them and our Manager/Players moan their heads off.
Have said for yonks we are too nice,need to get a bit Snidey like, I remember Jimmy Gabriel running the clock down by playing a bit of keep,uppy on the touch line, which also helped in putting a bit of silver ware in the cabinet,this mister nice guy doesn't work IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.