Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a football fan in general, and as someone who has seen both Southall and the Dane in their primes, they were two excellent keepers. Both made the odd error, as all do, but they were excellent and to suggest Schmeicel is not that good does strike me as a little "out there".

Each to their own, like.

EDIT - actually, not sure that Nev did ever make an error.

I remember Stefan Schwartz slotting a thirty yarder at the Park End for Arsenal and thinking Nev could have got it (not sure any other keeper could have like).

Not only were his reflexes great but he was a technically perfect goalie. He is the gold standard in terms of positioning. His angles always seemed to be perfect and his handling was unreal. Can't ever remember him fumbling something that he was trying to catch, particularly low shots that were close to his body. The only problem is that he set my expectations of what goalie should be able to catch unrealistically high. I think it took me about 3 years after Nev left for me to realise that what he made look easy most goalies struggle with. Every goalie since has been a disappointment (bar Nigel Martyn who is very similar in style to Nev - not the biggest but fantastic reflexes, handling and positioning).

I remember Stefan Schwartz slotting a thirty yarder at the Park End for Arsenal and thinking Nev could have got it (not sure any other keeper could have like).

Not only were his reflexes great but he was a technically perfect goalie. He is the gold standard in terms of positioning. His angles always seemed to be perfect and his handling was unreal. Can't ever remember him fumbling something that he was trying to catch, particularly low shots that were close to his body. The only problem is that he set my expectations of what goalie should be able to catch unrealistically high. I think it took me about 3 years after Nev left for me to realise that what he made look easy most goalies struggle with. Every goalie since has been a disappointment (bar Nigel Martyn who is very similar in style to Nev - not the biggest but fantastic reflexes, handling and positioning).
Never fumbled anything though!

Nigel Martyn was good, would have been nice to have him first time round, and Tim Howard is, let's face it, more than decent (Neville had also said this). Man of the match on Thursday for me and miles better than Mingolet.

Richard Wright though, not the quality we want, nor was Paul Gerrard. Thomas Myrhe was a good shot stopper, the less said about Jan Mucha the better.

Joel Robles needs to convince me more, I've seen him in action too. Carlo Nash was a boyhood blue, and who would say no to sitting on our bench if you're a blue?

Iain Turner was ok but was never gonna be a main man, we should've kept John Ruddy.

Actually, we should've snapped up Joe Hart when he was offered to us for nothing. I've met him, he's a lovely fella.

Never fumbled anything though!

Nigel Martyn was good, would have been nice to have him first time round, and Tim Howard is, let's face it, more than decent (Neville had also said this). Man of the match on Thursday for me and miles better than Mingolet.

Richard Wright though, not the quality we want, nor was Paul Gerrard. Thomas Myrhe was a good shot stopper, the less said about Jan Mucha the better.

Joel Robles needs to convince me more, I've seen him in action too. Carlo Nash was a boyhood blue, and who would say no to sitting on our bench if you're a blue?

Iain Turner was ok but was never gonna be a main man, we should've kept John Ruddy.

Actually, we should've snapped up Joe Hart when he was offered to us for nothing. I've met him, he's a lovely fella.
I've always think joe hart is a disaster waiting to happen,you're just waiting for it,Nigel Martyn is the best since big Nev for me,a fantastic keeper who would've been here many years before if certain people hadn't left him sitting outside an office in a chicken factory during the negotiations

I've always think joe hart is a disaster waiting to happen,you're just waiting for it,Nigel Martyn is the best since big Nev for me,a fantastic keeper who would've been here many years before if certain people hadn't left him sitting outside an office in a chicken factory during the negotiations
I thought they gave him directions from Goodison to Leeds?

Neville Southall. Reason I fell in love with Everton. Reason I support Everton. No better feeling than as a kid throwing yourself left and right up and down and pulling off a decent save thinking you were big Nev. First job I ever wanted was to be a goalkeeper for Everton. Unfortunately a garden gnome is bigger than me which put paid to that. Probably the only man on this planet that if I met him I would [Poor language removed] my pants and not know what to say to him as I would still be starstruck. LEGEND and best keeper I've ever seen for Everton and best keeper to grace European football.

He got told to meet Johnston's stooge at park foods didn't he,they then told him Leeds had matched the offer and gave him directions? Unless I'm wrong

He got told to meet Johnston's stooge at park foods didn't he,they then told him Leeds had matched the offer and gave home directions? Unless I'm wrong
"Come and meet us at a hamper factory". Jesus, no wonder he sodded off to Leeds.

Johnson all over, that.

That stefan Schwartz game was the first game I remember going to, if you watch the replay the camera goes on southall after it goes in and just see him shouting 'jammy twa t'...always makes me laugh

*lights fuse

Southall sucks donkey balls compared to American Tim Howard.

*fires Molotov into thread

*runs

*turns around at a safe distance to watch thread go up in flames

Status
Not open for further replies.