2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Glasgow at the weekend was out with a load of Rangers fans/season ticket holders. They were asking why Patterson wasn’t getting a game. Said I’d no idea but seems to be suggestion he can’t defend. They were all taken aback - quote “he loves a tackle, great defending one on one”. They did say positional awareness could improve but tbf true of almost all young defenders and improves with games. In summary nowhere near the one dimensional great going forward/defensive liability that’s being suggested on here.
I was working with a Rangers fan today and he said exactly the same thing as you. Mentioned about his defending and he reckons that’s no problem with him.
Said he’s a brilliant player and can’t understand why he’s not getting a chance.

In bulk here: a player taken off in a friendly.

You'd think he was waltzing through defences in a meaningful game.
So was half the team. That's what you do in friendlies, you give the squad a run out. Your bigotry is so strong that you can't even commend one of your own players on good performance. Think you need to have a long hard think about your attitude, young man.

D'you know if this lad produced a masterclass in the art of defending his own area and destroyed an opposition winger it'd be a helluva point to make in favour of his inclusion in Everton's starting XI. As it is we have wingers and he wont be getting a start.

I dont think that essential but obvious point is sinking in here. To force Lampard's hand he has to defend the ball. We all know he can get forward and run with it. He's a defender...apparently, so let him prove he can do that. A surging run forward in a charity match against a second string Polish XI isn't going to change his fortunes here.
yes, let him prove it. That would be a start

Dave really banging the drum on this one.

Think he needs to give it up tbh, Patterson alongside Billy Gilmour were absolutely the best players on the pitch.

He is above and beyond Jonjoe Kenny in every aspect, even defending. Play him RWB with Coleman behind him, surely the best and fastest way to learn?

Although when defending I actually noticed him pointing and telling McTominay where to go (Premier League regular McTominay)

He was brilliant going forward and always able to get back because of his pace.

I'm convinced there's some kind of appearance add on the club can't afford to meet just yet

Think he needs to give it up tbh, Patterson alongside Billy Gilmour were absolutely the best players on the pitch.

He is above and beyond Jonjoe Kenny in every aspect, even defending. Play him RWB with Coleman behind him, surely the best and fastest way to learn?

Although when defending I actually noticed him pointing and telling McTominay where to go (Premier League regular McTominay)

I'm convinced there's some kind of appearance add on the club can't afford to meet just yet
That tells you the difference between international and the prem. Gilmour has been tripe in the prem but a top performer in internationals

He's just not a defender. It's well known.

I've said befoe, if you want to play him as a make do winger then do that. But every single game he plays he underlines he's not a defender - tonight included.

….this is the line you keep peddling but it’s not as if we are blessed with good defensive full backs, indeed Kenny and Mykolenko add zero at both ends of the pitch and get more game time than Patterson.

i actually think it’s a nonsense line anyway. Andy Robertson was dropped at Hull for his defensive lapses, giving away 4 penalties in consecutive games yet you laud him as one of the few who are as good defensively as attacking. Your judgement on football and footballers is usually flawed, unreasoned and aimed at causing reaction.

This situation is beyond logic.

I've suspected this appearance add on regarding delle ali's lack of appearances too

Honesty think Coleman hasn’t been as bad as people make out, it’s a fair point he’s been key in our last two wins.

He had a poor game Vs Spurs, but then who had a good one.

He could do with support mind, we’ve been flogging him to death, Ireland will to, then we’re heading into a period of two games per week. Maybe we can use this lads legs at some point.

The way I see it and it’s always been this way, in a relegation fight, managers always veer away from players they may have to compensate for and stick with expirence and play the percentages because results are vital, this is the thing with Patterson. It’s the same at Norwich with Gilmour who is outstanding in my view. Never mind Patterson Alli can’t get a run for the same reason and he’s played in big Tournaments and the CL final.

Status
Not open for further replies.