Moyesy Post match - Substitutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
"I don't think (my decision/substitutions) helped us. I think it was a poor decision by me, we lost our shape. You always look at yourself first and I didn't think today that worked."

I thought that was an intresting admission from Moyesy, maybe even honestly refreshing - he gets a lot of stick for substitutions - by fans of course with the benifit of hindsight.

What do people think, does he get it more wrong then right or vice versa?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Thats football, he didnt really do anything badly wrong today, as I said elsewhere he had very, very few options all over the place really, it was nice that he went with 3 strikers, it showed courage, but it didnt work, cant blame him for giving it a shot.

I'm not sure any of our strikers are really cut out for 4-3-3. The formation generally requires a wide man in the Messi or Ronaldo mould, and all of our strikers are old fashioned centre forwards. Maybe Jo can sit a bit deeper but it still doesn't really suit 4-3-3 that much. Always worth experimenting though. You often don't know until you try something so if he's done that and subsequently decided it doesn't work then fair play, lesson learnt.

Well done for admitting it boss man. Our creativity or at least crossing threat was coming mainly from bilys left boot. Even ossie was using his quick feet and cutting inside effectively. To take both of them off just gave the midfield and defence the option just to punt it.

I maybe wouldve put just the yak on for bily or ossie, maybe even fellaini, but we needed the width.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Thats football, he didnt really do anything badly wrong today, as I said elsewhere he had very, very few options all over the place really, it was nice that he went with 3 strikers, it showed courage, but it didnt work, cant blame him for giving it a shot.

nuff said great post spot on(y)

Where's that thread where some of us dared criticise Moyes tactical ability (or lack of) when you need it :D

3 strikers on the pitch is all well and good but kinda defeats the object when you take off 2 midfielders who could of actually created something for them.

You wouldn't field a team of 11 strikers and expect to win by shed loads would you.

But fair enough, we were limited to choices of exactly who to bring on and did create chances to win the match, if we had of taken one we wouldn't be having this convo.

I'd have changed it half time personally, I could see where the game was going. I think everyone could, we where retaining possession well but there was no craft or creative intent there.

Saha was dropping deep, Cahill and Fellaini where playing very central and neither Bilyaletdinov or Osman did enough outwide.

I wouldn't have brought on two strikers, we only needed one to help Saha. Osman and Bilyaletdinov are also the most likely to pull off a bit of magic and creative something. One of Cahill, Rodwell or Fellaini should have been sacrificed.

Why does he always seem to play his subs after 70 mins though?
It always strikes me that he is giving lads a game, rather than trying to change it.
I'd like to see a first half substitution when things aren't going as planned.

He was going for the win and put a few players on who could turn the match in a millisecond.

It didn't happen but that's ok because it doesn't work out all the time.

But I'm going to give him props for going for the win.

What's the point in having three strikers on the pitch if you haven't got anyone who can supply them? The fact that he took both of our wingers off was even more baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back