Moyes admits derby mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Player Valuation: £1m
Everton manager David Moyes believes he should have rested even more players for the recent derby defeat to Liverpool in order to help his side's FA Cup chances.

Moyes came in for fierce criticism from the fans after he rested six players for the short trip to Anfield on March 13, which resulted in a convincing 3-0 defeat.

The Scot made the decision in order to preserve some of his key stars for the FA Cup sixth round tie with Sunderland the following Saturday.

However, his gamble nearly backfired when Sunderland held out for a draw, meaning a tricky looking replay at the Stadium of Light.

The Toffees eventually did make it through to the last four, Nikica Jelavic opening the scoring in a 2-0 win in the North East on Tuesday to set up a Wembley meeting with Liverpool.

Moyes agrees he made a mistake in making six changes for the derby clash, but insists he should have made more - and not less - alterations to his starting XI.

"I made a mistake against Liverpool - I should have rested more players," said the 49-year-old.
First time

"If I had done that I would probably have got through the first time.

"I didn't rest enough players in that game and I should have gone with my gut feeling that night and then we probably wouldn't have needed a replay."

Ermmmm.

Well,when i seen he admitted he made a mistake,thought like most it would be to say he made to many changes,not that he did not make enough lol

Whilst I don't agree with his thinking or will I ever forgive him for what he did - I can see what is motivating him. After all this time in charge he desperately wants a trophy more than anything else.

At least he has the courage of his own convictions, and that on its own needs to be commended. It is a rare quality in this day and age.

He took a massive gamble, and it's paid off for him and the club....Just don't do it again you ginger freak!

Oh my god. I thought when I read the title 'Moyes admits mistake' he was going to say he shouldn't have thrown the derby. Now he's saying he should have rested more?

Terrific banter. I'm sure he's on his phone right now munching the popcorn and watching GOT eagerly.

Terrific banter!

Revealing though TBH, he doesn't care about local rivalry, he just wants his trophy so he can move on to another club

/trollface

Whilst I don't agree with his thinking or will I ever forgive him for what he did - I can see what is motivating him. After all this time in charge he desperately wants a trophy more than anything else.

At least he has the courage of his own convictions, and that on its own needs to be commended. It is a rare quality in this day and age.

He took a massive gamble, and it's paid off for him and the club....Just don't do it again you ginger freak!
if he wanted a cup that bad he shouldve motivated the team vs birmingham 2yrs ago. fcken home tie against shiite like that and we rolled over. and after all this time at EFC he obviously hasnt realised that the main worry in a derby is the ref ffs- resting players hur hur, give them a day or two off training minge

Status
Not open for further replies.