McCarthy for captain

Should McCarthy take over as captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you overlook the fact he's been crap for England as well.
Not an over reaction....just fact.
Well said, if ferdinand was a few years younger jags would be warming the bench for England
Don't get me wrong I think he has been great for us but I feel it's time to move on

You can't really take the captaincy away from someone who's had it long term without them leaving though really. It would be a massive kick in the teeth for Jags to have it taken away from him, especially if he's in the team.

You can't really take the captaincy away from someone who's had it long term without them leaving though really. It would be a massive kick in the teeth for Jags to have it taken away from him, especially if he's in the team.
Understandable but if he is not performing and it is costing us points then RM has just got to be ruthless

needs to start taking a bit more responsibility on the ball before he gets the armband for me, his performance made me wonder how fit gibson is, rather than should he be captain

If we were to chage captain, I'd go with either Seamus or Nais as right now they seem to care more.
i agree, seamo for me shows unbelievable passion and is one of the best in the world. jags needs to focus on tackling and heading and running and stuff:rolleyes:

Difficult for me to rightfully say Yes or No as I don't know the players well enough from that perspective.

Although this seems to be an easy question/poll it really aren't. As we all know, selecting a good team captain is vitally important and can affect teams performances drastically. To start off lets look what qualities one are looking for in a good team captain...this is just a quick list of example attributes and by no means complete. Also some of these attributes one expect to automatically find in a professional player...

• Leadership where the captain can lead by example (On and Off the field)
  • The person should also be passionate in building a positive team spirit
  • He should be self confident and enforce positive thinking and motivate his players
  • He should be aware of his players strengths and weaknesses
  • He should be an excellent communicator and speak when necessary
  • He should be a player that has the ability to step up and perform when its most needed
  • He should know his team mates well as individuals and know what inspires each player and which are best left alone
  • He should be responsible and emotionally disciplined despite personal feelings
  • He should ensure that the team are aware of and values each members capabilities
  • He should have a thorough in-depth knowledge of the game and the rules
  • Most importantly have the ability to perform his task as team captain while playing to the best of his ability without hampering his performance

The problem here is that even most of us know the players and the way they play we don't know all the attributes of the players needed to be a good captain to know if they will be a good captain. We can have a good idea of who will best fit the bill etc...but without in-depth knowledge of each player and their characters, abilities etc we can only guess. That's why in my opinion I will trust in RM to pick the right person for the captaincy. I also think that being a good captain is a learning process and at the same time the older the player are the easier it will be to be a good captain...unless of course its a born leader which you also get.

Don't agree with changing our captain during the season, wouldn't mind giving McCarthy the armband when jags isn't playing though.

It's going to happen by default, I think. Jags has been poor in each league game this season and IMHO needs to be dropped to the bench for the next game in favour of Stones. I would give the captaincy to Distin in that scenario, with Jags taking it back if Distin is subbed off. McCarthy is a definite candidate for next year and onwards though, as is Coleman.

McCarthy was mince yesterday and you don't take the captains armband off a player because he's had a stinker. Terrible thread

Status
Not open for further replies.