Match Thread Manchester City(1) Vs Everton(2) - Capital One Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg - Weds 27th Jan - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a combination of everything. Bias refs and a big budget. How can you expect success against that. The odds are drastically stacked against you when not only are billionaire teams gifted goals against you but the fact that they are billionaire teams. It's why city are in a final they couldn't give a toss about.

Lukaku looked proper up for it didn't he?

Lots of the squad going through the motions like theyou have had enough, a few will be planning there next move in the summer

Their first goal came from our goal kick, lukaku didn't bother challenging for the header.

Summary of the [Poor language removed] things about this evening's encounter

1) The Subsitutions - just plain wrong. Geri was having a great game and was a constant outlet for the team. Taking him off was outlandishly stupid. Possibly the main reason we lost the game.

2) Cleverly - he's just not good enough. Adds nothing, is too slow, too weak and frequently loses the ball. He's not a bad guy, but he's not a physically good enough footballer for a top premier league side. Especially on the wing!

3) Stones - very low on confidence and NOT a right back. He's very young and will come good again but right now he's afraid to pass the ball, he stands too far off his man and he needs to bulk up a bit. He's learn though and he'll be brilliant, but sadly probably not for Everton.

4) Lukaku - not playing like he was earlier in the season, although i actually thought he wasn't too bad today. Still, I fear his mind is now on a move away in the summer. I don't think he wanted it to go that way but the way the season's panned out, unfortunately in modern day football his agent will make his decisions for him and he'll be out of here this summer.

5) Martinez - I actually like the man and I respect a lot of his concepts on attacking football. What i absolutely disdain however is his absolute DISRESPECT to the art of defensive football. He poo poos it time and time again as if it's not that important so long as you're scoring goals. This season has proved just how false a belief system this really is. I like that he signed Funes Mori, and i think him and Jags work well together. But players need guidance from managers on how to defend as a team and I think Martinez lacks a basic understanding of this side of football. He just doesn't get it and this may ultimately be his demise.

6) GOT forum users blaming the officials - we lost today because we weren't good enough and a disastrous tactical decision made mid way through the second half. End of story.

There's more of course, I'm just not arsed typing them right now...

You know what, I really hope Martinez walks, deserves better support. You all did see Del blowing after an hour right? And Lukaku not getting much support? That's why Kone was brought on, to hold up the ball and bring Rom more into it. We still had Barkley's pace and Rom's to cause damage but it didn't happen did it? That's on the players themselves

My thoughts:

Joel made one great save, couldn't go anything about the goals. Who knows if Howard would have performed better.

Stones horrific again, but played out of position. Yet another error. I called for him to be dropped, but obviously Martinez knows best...

Mori was great, I thought. Jagielka was miles off the pace. Baines was pathetic, and actually looks a shadow of the player he used to be.

Barkley had a great first half, anonymous second. Can't believe they took 10 minutes to stop his nosebleed. Crazy.

Deulofeu should have stayed on, but maybe he was knackered and simply couldn't continue? Cleverley was toilet, and Lukaku - I've not seen a less interested performance by one of our strikers in a long time.

Osman playing was the main indicator that we were going out, even though he wasn't particularly bad.

Martinez needs to go, asap. Give it up, admit you've failed, you've taken us massively backwards. None of them "superstars" are going to want to stay now, and rightfully so.
Totally agree we needs to shuffle the pack with the team, try some youngster we were better when Galloway was playing also we have Garbutt to come back do we need Baines as much as we use to, Barry though ok he always looks laboured, IMO Stones mind is elsewhere ( I'd love to see him go this window). TBH we are in a right old mess and the leader hasn't a clue what to do.

Stones defending for that 3rd is criminal, just rewatched it 2 or 3 times, Aguero is their main threat, he's the first man you look for, he's the first man you mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.