Long, long injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
The op makes it sound like anything beyond a magic sponge and water and they scratch their heads...

"His legs broken in two places. What do we do?... "
"Turn of f that damn pinging machine thingy and try the sponge again... "
"Hasn't worked..."
"Okay don't panic.. try the water.. then the sponge then both together.."

This seems unlikely to me considering they are fully qualified medical staff.

I don't think it is unique to Everton, or even just to football. Athletes nowadays are much more highly tuned than in previous years. While muscle mass can be increased and strengthened, other parts of the body such as ligaments can not be strengthened to the same degree. So you have the situation where a ligament is carrying a lot more load than it is designed to, whether that is increased muscle mass or increased aerobic capacity meaning the muscles are working harder for longer. Eventually these parts crack the sh1ts resulting in a lengthy injury.

As someone who works in the science of tendon repair and damage, you are absolutely right. This is why many injuries last so long.

So if footballers try and bulk up and strengthen their muscles, they are increasing stress and risk of injury to tendons and ligaments as they can't be strengthened.

Could this be why Lionel Messi has had such an injury free career? As he's always struck me as retaining his natural body shape and size rather than trying to bulk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.