Lille - Info (Travel, Hotels, Bars, Directions etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The meeting of Europa League will be played Thursday, at 7 p.m., at the Pierre Mauroy de Villeneuve-d'Ascq Stadium. But the thousands of English fans will start to flock in the morning, in particular to Lille. The authorities are on the alert. The prefecture took this Tuesday two orders prohibiting, the day of the game, groups of supporters without tickets and take-away sales of alcohol and consumption of liquor on the public highway. Hundreds of police will be mobilized.
1982120296_B973862607Z.1_20141021201945_000_G423B97CI.1-0.jpg

February 17, 2011, before the LOSC - PSV Eindhoven match, many Dutch fans had been drinking alcohol for hours in the Centre of Lille. Incidents broke then. The prefect recalled these events in the orders he took Tuesday. PHOTO PHILIPPE PALMER ARCHIVES

The LOSC-Everton match, Thursday, will take place under surveillance. According to the prefecture, 7 500 English fans are expected. Most of them will come by bus. Others will move on their own (car, train...), including about 500 people, considers the prefecture, without tickets for the meeting. This influx will begin in the morning of the match, especially in the Centre of Lille. Everton fans will wait several hours opening, starting at 5 p.m., the Pierre Mauroy Stadium doors. The kick-off of the part will be given at 7 pm. This long wait worries prefecture. "It is conducive to an individuals excessive alcohol and cause problems with local residents and supporters of the LOSC."

The authorities want to avoid reliving the accident scenario the day of the LOSC-PSV Eindhoven match, in February 2011 (our photo). Many Dutch fans had descended from beers in the Centre of Lille, terraces or in the street for hours. Violence then broke out on the Grand-Place and the pedestrian streets.

Two orders

To prevent spillage, the prefect took two orders on Tuesday. The first prohibits any gathering of supporters of Everton or the LOSC without tickets for the game. The measure will be valid from 10 h to 17 h, Thursday, at Lille, Mons-en-Barœul, Villeneuve-d'Ascq, Lezennes and Ronchin. The second order prohibits the sale of alcohol take away as well as the possession and consumption of liquor on the public highway. This provision will be applicable on Thursday, from 10 h to 22 h, in the municipalities of Lezennes, Ronchin, Lille, Villeneuve d'Ascq.

On the ground, a large-scale police device will be deployed, mainly in Lille and Pierre Mauroy stadium or its surroundings. The precise mobilized agents number is not yet known but, according to our information, there should be about 500 CRS, supported by public safety staff, specialized units in the fight against the hooligans in the stages (SIR, rapid response section) and twelve horsemen of the equestrian brigade. A few English police will also attend.
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr

Sometimes I think being so heavy handed actually leads to problems as opposed to preventing them

Have a mate who works as a bouncer. He says he's always polite to people who come in to the bar, as it will relax them. Rudeness will only lead them to be in bad mood and looking for a way of venting it

Sounds like the police are panicking which is not a good sign.
If they have a laid back approach like the Nuremberg police the day will run smooth.
I can see this ending in carnage if they start getting heavy handed. Though the local North African community could be an issue like in Brussels v anderlecht.

Taken from Le Monde English Edition.

Captain Laure Berthaud defends draconian measures put in place for policing football match in Lille.

After previous trouble with PSV fans, Cpt Berthaud has introduced the following measures, Alcohol Ban from 10am-10pm, Ticket checks, Breathalyser checks on all approaches to the stadium, Sniffer and X-ray dogs to be deployed, The Silver Hornet rapid response vehicle will be used, and all officers will be armed.

Cpt Berthaud said last night, after information received about potential disorder from my colleague Sgt Crabtree I have no hesitation in putting these measures in place, I do no want any trouble in The Grand Place.

Later today Cpt Eddy Caplan will be visiting properties in the City's Red Light area warning them to keep their doors and legs firmly closed.

Many Businesses have decided to close their doors for the day, Josephine Karllsonn a local restaurateur and solicitor has decided to close her restaurant Engrenages and many more are expected to follow suit, including all the major fast food chains.

Mayor Jaques Mesrine today said, these unwanted guests can chew my baguette. He also added "it's Thursday night, have they nothing better to do, maybe a neighbours wife, or a port blockade".

Taken from Le Monde English Edition.

Captain Laure Berthaud defends draconian measures put in place for policing football match in Lille.

After previous trouble with PSV fans, Cpt Berthaud has introduced the following measures, Alcohol Ban from 10am-10pm, Ticket checks, Breathalyser checks on all approaches to the stadium, Sniffer and X-ray dogs to be deployed, The Silver Hornet rapid response vehicle will be used, and all officers will be armed.

Cpt Berthaud said last night, after information received about potential disorder from my colleague Sgt Crabtree I have no hesitation in putting these measures in place, I do no want any trouble in The Grand Place.

Later today Cpt Eddy Caplan will be visiting properties in the City's Red Light area warning them to keep their doors and legs firmly closed.

Many Businesses have decided to close their doors for the day, Josephine Karllsonn a local restaurateur and solicitor has decided to close her restaurant Engrenages and many more are expected to follow suit, including all the major fast food chains.

Mayor Jaques Mesrine today said, these unwanted guests can chew my baguette. He also added "it's Thursday night, have they nothing better to do, maybe a neighbours wife, or a port blockade".
Eddy caplan hahahaha theo and Roxanne will be with the football intelligence unit

Eddy caplan hahahaha theo and Roxanne will be with the football intelligence unit

Sadly Theo has passed away, Walter Morlighem said recently"we were moved by the kops tribute to our fallen comrade, and we have passed on the wreath to his family,he will never snort alone"

I don't know if you can as you have to go through ticket barriers and then security to check in, unless you take some bottles or cans with you. I may do that anyway to save the risk, and if I don't drink it I can have it on the way back :)

You're probably on the same trains as me then as the 12.58 arrives in Lille at 15.30 local time.

I'm dropping my stuff in my hotel and then heading next door to the brewpub that is there

2 of us on that train as well. COYB

Status
Not open for further replies.