Ken Bates wants us "punished like Chelsea"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bates is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most disgusting characters ever to be involved with football

I detest him as much as I detest Leeds

They really really deserve each other

Rant over :mad:

I have to agree with you there Neville . Leeds are a horrible club followed by equally horrible tedious thugs who seem stuck in a time warp .

I dont like Bates but he has a point - compensation for good young players really is a joke and the top clubs really do take advantage of it, it happened, how annoyed would we be if Rodwell could leave for under a million if he was poached before he signed a pro deal. Anyone remember Sean Doherty - who left us for Fulham for bascily nothing?

Who knows the move for Garbutt, could have done us more damage then not - apparently we were strongly in for Dellph but Leeds wouldnt do buisness with us after the Garbutt affair.

Apparently we are after a 15 year old England youth winger at Swindon.

Take that St. Nic:

Robert Elstone has refuted claims that Everton didn't play by the rules over the signing of Luke Garbutt.

Everton picked up the 16 year old defender from Leeds United in the summer, leaving Leeds chairman Ken Bates infuriated over a lack of suitable compensation being offered by the Toffees. Following Chelsea's transfer embargo, placed on by FIFA over their illegal approach to signing Gael Kakuta, Bates wants the same punishment handed down to Everton.

Bates told the media over the weekend: “On Monday we have a tribunal for Garbutt, who Everton nicked from us. We are dissatisfied. We’re chasing the matter with the Football League and the Premier League and we are seeking substantial compensation.

“The days of nicking Leeds players and paying peanuts are over. We are determined to be adequately compensated for the work we are doing in our academy.

“I hope the ruling that has been handed down from FIFA on Chelsea will set the scene. It certainly sends a message to the Football League compensation tribunal about compensation.”

However, Everton's chief executive hit back today, stating that Everton played by the rules and had done nothing wrong.

Elstone told the Liverpool Echo: “We are very comfortable that we have played by the rules and we are very comfortable that the club elected to go to a tribunal to establish a fair value.

“They are the two salient points for me. We absolutely played by the rules. There is a right way to do business and that’s the way we conduct ourselves here, while the tribunal is there to establish a fair value for the player.

500k up front and possibly another 500k depending on success, seems a bit excessive as these things go?

Everton will have to pay up to £1million for untried 16-year old Luke Garbutt after being stunned by the findings of a tribunal into his recent move from Leeds United to Goodison Park.

A Football Association hearing was set up to determine how much Everton should pay for the Leeds left-back after an initial £200,000 offer was not only rejected but described by Elland Road chairman Ken Bates as 'paltry'.

The panel appeared to side with Bates after ruling that Everton must stump up an initial amount of over £500,000 that could almost double with add-ons to cover appearances, international caps and overall achievements.

Everton are committed to footing the bill, after Garbutt turned down a scholarship at Leeds to sign on at Goodison Park, but are unhappy at a judgement they feel may have been influenced by the recent furore over talented young players being lured away by bigger clubs.

Highly rated though Garbutt may be, he was still some way short of being ready to challenge for a first-team place and will continue his development at Everton's Academy before even being considered for David Moyes' senior squad.

Everton bosses sense the timing of today's tribunal may have counted against them and that they have been forced to pay over the odds for a player who only turned 16 in May.

Last edited:
Seems moderately fair, to be honest. He's an England player, relatively close to adulthood, and I believe we originally offered more (225,000 plus add-ons) for the stunning abilities of Scott Spencer.

A bit high to me on the initial fee for a sixteen year old. I would rather have seen more of the initial fee moved to future add ons since there's a high rate of promising youngsters not working out.

500k up front and possibly another 500k depending on success, seems a bit excessive as these things go?

Everton will have to pay up to £1million for untried 16-year old Luke Garbutt after being stunned by the findings of a tribunal into his recent move from Leeds United to Goodison Park.

A Football Association hearing was set up to determine how much Everton should pay for the Leeds left-back after an initial £200,000 offer was not only rejected but described by Elland Road chairman Ken Bates as 'paltry'.

The panel appeared to side with Bates after ruling that Everton must stump up an initial amount of over £500,000 that could almost double with add-ons to cover appearances, international caps and overall achievements.

Everton are committed to footing the bill, after Garbutt turned down a scholarship at Leeds to sign on at Goodison Park, but are unhappy at a judgement they feel may have been influenced by the recent furore over talented young players being lured away by bigger clubs.

Highly rated though Garbutt may be, he was still some way short of being ready to challenge for a first-team place and will continue his development at Everton's Academy before even being considered for David Moyes' senior squad.

Everton bosses sense the timing of today's tribunal may have counted against them and that they have been forced to pay over the odds for a player who only turned 16 in May.

Has this been confirmed anwhere else? nothing on the OS only the Daily Mail seem to be reporting it at the moment

Its bollocks IMO. Bates struck in while the iron was hot. Its not surprising that Bates has bagged 8million in total from Chelsea and Spurs for similar things. So unless all clubs are in to rip him off and he's letting them so he can get more money, I think he's just snide.

The lad turned down a scholarship to join a premier league club. Someone agreed a fee. The lad wasnt contracted to Leeds. He's 16.

Doesnt make too much sense to me but he bagged more coin so well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.