Ken Bates wants us "punished like Chelsea"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton should really take a strong line on this, the implication is that Everton have acted improperly & deserve punishment - it makes the fee set by the tribunal seem like a fine. It's bad enough to see Leeds United posturing beforehand to try & maximise the fee set, but for them to be making unsubstantiated allegations afterwards should not be allowed to pass without action on the part of Everton, otherwise the club's silence will appear to confirm this to be true.

Just because the conniving Bates runs his blow-dryer to the papers, and we try to have a little class about it doesn't mean we are confirming it to be true.

I think it is apt we remain silent over this, as getting into mud slinging with Bates is useless and makes us look as immature as him. Bates has already shown he is willing to go right to the bottom of the ditch, and we are WAY above that.

Don't worry about it, if a tribunal sets the fee, he has no other legal recourse, he is just trying to drum up a storm right now, and ride out the FIFA decision to get himself more publicity.

Angry Santa Clause:

Ken Bates the Chairman of Leeds United has entered the debate over the poaching of young players and has used Everton as a prime example of what the big clubs are doing.
Everton have been forced in to paying £600,000 compensation rising to a possible £1.5million, for 16-year-old defender Luke Garbutt but Bates is far from happy about it telling The Yorkshire Post
“The up-front payment is £600,000, which is a lot more than the insulting offer that Everton made.
“But the real problem is that Everton are a club who have just been paid £24m for Joleon Lescott and will receive another £40m from the Premier League for television and so on.
“Bearing that in mind, what is £600,000 going to be to them? It is petty cash and certainly not a deterrent to them doing it again.
Bates saying that it is no deterrent to Everton doing it again (basically poaching the youngster) is backed up with a great example.
“It is about time some proper punishments were introduced such as points deductions or exclusion from European competitions. It is the only language these clubs will listen to.
“Anyone who doubts that only has to look at Chelsea’s behaviour. They had to pay us £4.5m for poaching our players and yet still went out and got themselves in trouble by doing the same thing to Lens.
“And Chelsea are by no means the only club who have been asset-stripping the lower clubs.”
Bates is spot on, these big clubs do need far stronger punishments because the fines or compensations being awarded are a joke and a deduction of points and/or ban would be far more effective.

Last edited:
Just because the conniving Bates runs his blow-dryer to the papers, and we try to have a little class about it doesn't mean we are confirming it to be true.

I think it is apt we remain silent over this, as getting into mud slinging with Bates is useless and makes us look as immature as him. Bates has already shown he is willing to go right to the bottom of the ditch, and we are WAY above that.

Don't worry about it, if a tribunal sets the fee, he has no other legal recourse, he is just trying to drum up a storm right now, and ride out the FIFA decision to get himself more publicity.

A lack of response obviously doesn't mean that we are guilty, but it could be interpreted that way - nature abhorrs a vacuum & so does the media, much to the delight of the likes of Bates. I don't for a moment suggest we start "mud-slinging", but it might be appropriate for the club to re-state their belief that they have folowed the correct procedure & inviting Leeds United to do likewise if they have any evidence to the contrary. I'm not worried about an old ******** hawking himself & his club through the press for money, but the club need to manage the general perception of the club in the media, not just as regards this instance but for the long-term benefit of the club.

Im sure its all bang out of order and that its just that Bates is a bad dirty Santa looking prick who bores the living [Poor language removed] out of me.

Oh and its us, so everything is sound if were doing it.

Im sure its all bang out of order and that its just that Bates is a bad dirty Santa looking prick who bores the living [Poor language removed] out of me.

Oh and its us, so everything is sound if were doing it.

Amen to that

Although whats annoying me is that the original Gael Kakuta thing was because chelsea tapped him up, NOT because they signed him when he was young

Bates has just twisted it to his own advantage. The slimy get:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.