2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cause he clearly isn't world class. He wouldn't be at Everton if he was.u

But my word is he an improvement on Howard, Joel and Stekelenburg.
He’s a good keeper like, but there’s aspects to his game that are flawed currently imo, and I’m still to be convinced that he’s big enough to be a true top keeper in this era. I hope the lad improves and stays, but I’d not weep if he moved on.

I wouldn’t be arsed if he was lured away, I’m not having him as a Worldie at all. I think he’s overrated
I was having a conversation with my mate last night he doesn't rate him as anything more than average, had to agree with him on a few things , pushes the ball away to often, and not commanding the box to good, needs to catch the ball more than just go for the punch.
On the other hand, he is young, good reflexes and quick to come out and communicates well he cant be helped by having a constantly changing backline in front of him, none of whom must really fill him with confidence.
in a better more settled backline I suspect with more experience he could be a really good keeper in the coming years.

He’s a good keeper like, but there’s aspects to his game that are flawed currently imo, and I’m still to be convinced that he’s big enough to be a true top keeper in this era. I hope the lad improves and stays, but I’d not weep if he moved on.
If you look at the best goalkeepers in the world at the minute, Pickford is smaller than most if not all. If you look at the best goalkeepers of all time, most are around the same height as Pickford. I don't think anything has changed which means a top goalkeeper needs to be 6'4" and above all of a sudden, it just happens that all the top ones are at the moment.

Still very young for a keeper though isn't he?
I've mentioned this before, but he's not really very young for a keeper, no.

I think the days of keepers not peaking until their 30s are well gone. If you look at the keepers who we would think of as world class now, De Gea was first choice and winning the Europa League with Atletico Madrid at 18, Courtois was doing the same at 19, Ter Stegen won the Champions League at 22. You've got players like Donnarumma who's playing regularly for Italy at 18. In the generation above that the likes of Cech and Buffon were being recognised as world class while still under 21s.

Pickford is about to turn 24, and he's been good rather than outstanding for us so far. I'm not saying he can't go on to be world class, but he needs to improve quite dramatically, and soon, if he's going to be that good.

I've mentioned this before, but he's not really very young for a keeper, no.

I think the days of keepers not peaking until their 30s are well gone. If you look at the keepers who we would think of as world class now, De Gea was first choice and winning the Europa League with Atletico Madrid at 18, Courtois was doing the same at 19, Ter Stegen won the Champions League at 22. You've got players like Donnarumma who's playing regularly for Italy at 18. In the generation above that the likes of Cech and Buffon were being recognised as world class while still under 21s.

Pickford is about to turn 24, and he's been good rather than outstanding for us so far. I'm not saying he can't go on to be world class, but he needs to improve quite dramatically, and soon, if he's going to be that good.

I feel for him though to be honest, as the defence has been utterly chaotic all season. Defending is a team activity and we've been awful at it this year. Pickford may not progress to be one of the best in the world, but he's certainly good enough for us right now.

I feel for him though to be honest, as the defence has been utterly chaotic all season. Defending is a team activity and we've been awful at it this year. Pickford may not progress to be one of the best in the world, but he's certainly good enough for us right now.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong he's a very good keeper. And as I say, i'm not saying he won't kick on and be great. I have to admit though, if United did offer us £50m for him, i'm not sure i'd be dismissing it out of hand.

Why the criticism? Have you seen the state of our defense? He's our best keeper since Martyn and has a very big future. If the 2 CBs could make their mind up on how to defend then I'm sure he would be more commanding. He's made few mistakes (the derby one was massive though). He can be our keeper for 10+ years

I can't believe people think we should be looking to sell!

Status
Not open for further replies.