John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm apparently in the minority, but I thought Stones played alright.

People will single him out for the 2nd goal, but I'd argue against that a bit.

When we're in possession, Martinez likes our shape to become a 343 - something that MNF have highlighted this season.

For the 2nd goal, Barry has possession of the ball and McCarthy drops into defence to make it a back three, this is Stones' (or Coleman's, when fit) cue to move forward with Baines on the other side to create the 343. This happened last night for the 2nd goal, but Barry lost possession, then missed a tackle and McCarthy wasn't wide enough as the 3rd centre back. Stones did turn to run back as soon as possession was lost, but effectively he was only following tactical instructions from Martinez.

Essentially, that goal typified the way Liverpool exploited us tactically last night. You just have to hold your hands up and say well done to Rodgers. He knew Martinez would bring Everton to Anfield with the aim of dominating possession and being on the front foot - he set his side up to capitalise on the space we would leave by doing this.

I think Stones probably had a better game than either of our two centre halves.

He's a 19 year old, playing in not his best position, with 3 Premier League apps under his belt, up against the best striker in the league and Sturridge. What did you expect? He did alright, he's still learning!

Stones was out of position because he was following orders. It's not his fault that the tactics were suicidal, and his captain, although not fully fit, had his worst game in a blue jersey.

Also on the positive I thought his movement with the ball on the flanks was pretty good and he seemed comfortable which in time should be the good building blocks for a ball playing central defender.

Another aspect that does not get mentioned much is his 1 v 1 defending. Sure his positioning may not be perfect and he can lose a man in the box occasionally but that tends to get better with experience. When an attacker goes at him alone he does excellent work. There was a moment in the second half where Suarez had the ball in the box and I thought he would have turned Stones around or drawn a penalty as he does with most everyone but he didn't get anywhere.

He’s never a right back in this system. He’s not comfortable enough on the ball in the final third to make anything work. He just looks nervous and wants to turn back and pass backwards. Coleman or a Hibbert will at least try to mix it up and go past a man or win a throw in/corner. There is a difference between being comfortable on the ball in defence and comfortable on the ball further up the field, a massive difference. Stones looks the real deal at centre back though.

IMO he should have played instead of Alcaraz last night and Hibbert should have played right back. We had 3 players starting who hadn’t played for weeks, and at least one other carrying a knock. It was too much to carry those players, especially when we had two fitter players on the bench in Hibbert and Osman, who are also local lads and experienced in derbies. I think Martinez made a mistake last night.

When we're in possession, Martinez likes our shape to become a 343 - something that MNF have highlighted this season.

For the 2nd goal, Barry has possession of the ball and McCarthy drops into defence to make it a back three, this is Stones' (or Coleman's, when fit) cue to move forward with Baines on the other side to create the 343. This happened last night for the 2nd goal, but Barry lost possession, then missed a tackle and McCarthy wasn't wide enough as the 3rd centre back. Stones did turn to run back as soon as possession was lost, but effectively he was only following tactical instructions from Martinez.

Essentially, that goal typified the way Liverpool exploited us tactically last night. You just have to hold your hands up and say well done to Rodgers. He knew Martinez would bring Everton to Anfield with the aim of dominating possession and being on the front foot - he set his side up to capitalise on the space we would leave by doing this.

Excellent post - completely agree. The second goal was Jags no doubt about it.

i think stones was too far forward for the 2nd goal. but jags/mccarthy didnt have any awareness as to the run sturridge was making. and i dunno about you guys, but when you are busting a gut to get back, theres no easy way to scream and shout at your teammates...

Saw someone mention on twitter last night that Coleman's first Everton game was a 5-0 loss to Benfica where he was played out of position at LB

Stones will still be a top top top defender given time

Feels like I watched a different game from you all, I thought Stones was one of the few (only really) bright spots from the match. He was able to get in space, had excellent ball control, looked pretty composed on the ball. He made a few crucial tackles on Teeth, and as others have said it's not his fault he was caught up the pitch when he followed Roberto's instructions. All 3 of the open play goals were the fault of our centre backs.

Honestly I was saying at halftime maybe hibbert should come on for Alcaraz, and Stones should move to the centre. Alcaraz is a good technical player but is simply too slow to keep pace with forwards like Sturridge and Suarez. My only real criticism of Stones was that he could have swung more crosses into the box, but he was probably following orders when he chose to pass / lay it off instead of crossing as well.

Bang on.

Will be a top player in the future but not ready yet. I don't think he was that good yesterday and was bullied off the ball numerous times. I think he was targetted by Liverpool and he came up short. He did good things also which bodes well for the future. He needs to be nurtured.

Status
Not open for further replies.