Jarrad Branthwaite’s Leaving Thread [Exact Date TBC]

Dear Jarrad,

Have you ever heard of the phrase “stabbing someone in the back?” Especially if that someone has stood by you through the darkest of times, tribulations, controversies, blatant mistakes as well as your success and achievements? Wouldn’t you be betrayed and hurt if it was you at the receiving end? Wouldn’t you be ashamed and embarrassed if you are betrayed in front of other people?

If you can understand this, then you should also comprehend the metaphor that I am referring to. I am using it because (I speak for other Liverpool supporters also) I was deeply hurt, angered and betrayed when that moment of madness came. The madness which we had thought had ceased over the last year. A madness which no supporter would have wanted to see. Yet, we saw it – that monstrous moment when you decided to switch to your animalistic instinct of trying to bite a fellow player (Giorgio Chiellini) for the third time at the grandest stage of all.

I have watched countless images, clips, slow motion replays as well as real time videos, but I was never in doubt about your heinous act. You knew what you were doing and to think of executing it at the World Cup where millions of people would be watching was just an idiotic thing to do. Having arrived at Brazil as one of top three players in the world, I was looking forward to seeing the sensational and genius Suarez which we have also been accustomed to. And after two matches, which included the brilliant performance against England, all I am left to ponder is; how can you have not been indebted to me or all the other supporters?

Last year in the month of April, you had destroyed whatever little reputation you had and the reputation of the club when you tried to blatantly bite Branislov Ivanovic (for the second time in your career). The image of you trying to chomp off someone’s skin sent ripples worldwide, but more than that you had chewed off a certain part in me which had started admiring, revering and idolizing you. I had looked past your various antics that involved diving, handling a ball and also the infamous racism row with Patrice Evra, which I believed was more of a cultural misunderstanding than anything else.

We stood by you through all those controversies. We were ridiculed by other supporters, yet we never lost faith in you. We protected you like our own and our club icon and legend Kenny Dalglish lost his job and reputation only because he defended you. Yet you decided to bring shame to a club by trying to bite another human being.

If the bite wasn’t enough, your reputation was left hanging by a thin thread when you tried to leave the club last summer. You talked about broken promises and betrayal by the club in your open interview to the English media. The club dug in and refused to let you go which I believe was the right thing to do. You owed me and the other supporters for sticking our necks out for you. Do you now understand what betrayal is? You looking for a way out after your crime and not trying to fight for the people who stood by you. That is what betrayal means.

But, we still welcomed you with open arms after your 10 match ban. Most of us were skeptical whether you would represent the club with the right attitude but you proved us wrong. Over the course of few matches, everything was forgotten for me and burnt bridges were finally starting to be repaired. I was back to celebrating your tricks, nutmegs, passes and everytime you scored a goal, whether it was with your right foot, left foot, tap in, headers or an audacious shot from the half line. I was delighted that you were taking efforts to improve and become a better person on the pitch as well.

You had brought unimaginable hopes back for us. You received well deserved accolades and trophies for your success and professionalism on the pitch. As a fan, I couldn’t have been more elated. You had brought a smile back to our faces and we genuinely believed that there was a legend waiting to be made.

We had begun to believe that a new Luis Suarez was resurrected, one who would let only his football do the talking and not his darker side which he seemed to have erased. Yet, the darker side reared its head again and this time at the World Cup! You can hopefully understand now how it feels to be your supporter. There is a sense of injustice towards us. As I sit and write this letter, all I can feel is disgust and disgrace that we had started believing in you again. Should we not have known that you were capable of doing this? Should we not have blindly believed in you turning a new leaf?

Do you know why Liverpool football club is such a historic and glorious club? This club has been represented by great managers, great players and players who have achieved greatness while wearing the famous red strip. As a club, we have won whatever trophy that we could ever lay claim to. We have been the most successful English club in Europe. But above all, Liverpool is also known for its intelligent and passionate supporters. Supporters for whom the club is like a family.

But nobody is bigger than the club.

So what if you have been the most talented player to grace Anfield and so what if a genius like you might never come again? We will not stand by someone who wants to repeatedly tarnish the image of the club. I have supported the club since my childhood and I cannot see the fact that Liverpool’s name has been dragged to the dirt because you chose to bite someone to win. The club is bigger than you, Suarez, and we will find someone who can protect the club for what it stands for.

I will always remember and recollect that we had a true footballing genius who had brought hope to us as supporters. But the bitter fact still remains that it will be hard forgetting the darker things you have done.

Thanks for all the memories!

At the end of the storm, is a golden sky,

And the sweet silver song of a lark.

We walk on with hopes in our heart.”

Sincerely,

An Everton fan through and through.

Dear Jarrad,

Have you ever heard of the phrase “stabbing someone in the back?” Especially if that someone has stood by you through the darkest of times, tribulations, controversies, blatant mistakes as well as your success and achievements? Wouldn’t you be betrayed and hurt if it was you at the receiving end? Wouldn’t you be ashamed and embarrassed if you are betrayed in front of other people?

If you can understand this, then you should also comprehend the metaphor that I am referring to. I am using it because (I speak for other Liverpool supporters also) I was deeply hurt, angered and betrayed when that moment of madness came. The madness which we had thought had ceased over the last year. A madness which no supporter would have wanted to see. Yet, we saw it – that monstrous moment when you decided to switch to your animalistic instinct of trying to bite a fellow player (Giorgio Chiellini) for the third time at the grandest stage of all.

I have watched countless images, clips, slow motion replays as well as real time videos, but I was never in doubt about your heinous act. You knew what you were doing and to think of executing it at the World Cup where millions of people would be watching was just an idiotic thing to do. Having arrived at Brazil as one of top three players in the world, I was looking forward to seeing the sensational and genius Suarez which we have also been accustomed to. And after two matches, which included the brilliant performance against England, all I am left to ponder is; how can you have not been indebted to me or all the other supporters?

Last year in the month of April, you had destroyed whatever little reputation you had and the reputation of the club when you tried to blatantly bite Branislov Ivanovic (for the second time in your career). The image of you trying to chomp off someone’s skin sent ripples worldwide, but more than that you had chewed off a certain part in me which had started admiring, revering and idolizing you. I had looked past your various antics that involved diving, handling a ball and also the infamous racism row with Patrice Evra, which I believed was more of a cultural misunderstanding than anything else.

We stood by you through all those controversies. We were ridiculed by other supporters, yet we never lost faith in you. We protected you like our own and our club icon and legend Kenny Dalglish lost his job and reputation only because he defended you. Yet you decided to bring shame to a club by trying to bite another human being.

If the bite wasn’t enough, your reputation was left hanging by a thin thread when you tried to leave the club last summer. You talked about broken promises and betrayal by the club in your open interview to the English media. The club dug in and refused to let you go which I believe was the right thing to do. You owed me and the other supporters for sticking our necks out for you. Do you now understand what betrayal is? You looking for a way out after your crime and not trying to fight for the people who stood by you. That is what betrayal means.

But, we still welcomed you with open arms after your 10 match ban. Most of us were skeptical whether you would represent the club with the right attitude but you proved us wrong. Over the course of few matches, everything was forgotten for me and burnt bridges were finally starting to be repaired. I was back to celebrating your tricks, nutmegs, passes and everytime you scored a goal, whether it was with your right foot, left foot, tap in, headers or an audacious shot from the half line. I was delighted that you were taking efforts to improve and become a better person on the pitch as well.

You had brought unimaginable hopes back for us. You received well deserved accolades and trophies for your success and professionalism on the pitch. As a fan, I couldn’t have been more elated. You had brought a smile back to our faces and we genuinely believed that there was a legend waiting to be made.

We had begun to believe that a new Luis Suarez was resurrected, one who would let only his football do the talking and not his darker side which he seemed to have erased. Yet, the darker side reared its head again and this time at the World Cup! You can hopefully understand now how it feels to be your supporter. There is a sense of injustice towards us. As I sit and write this letter, all I can feel is disgust and disgrace that we had started believing in you again. Should we not have known that you were capable of doing this? Should we not have blindly believed in you turning a new leaf?

Do you know why Liverpool football club is such a historic and glorious club? This club has been represented by great managers, great players and players who have achieved greatness while wearing the famous red strip. As a club, we have won whatever trophy that we could ever lay claim to. We have been the most successful English club in Europe. But above all, Liverpool is also known for its intelligent and passionate supporters. Supporters for whom the club is like a family.

But nobody is bigger than the club.

So what if you have been the most talented player to grace Anfield and so what if a genius like you might never come again? We will not stand by someone who wants to repeatedly tarnish the image of the club. I have supported the club since my childhood and I cannot see the fact that Liverpool’s name has been dragged to the dirt because you chose to bite someone to win. The club is bigger than you, Suarez, and we will find someone who can protect the club for what it stands for.

I will always remember and recollect that we had a true footballing genius who had brought hope to us as supporters. But the bitter fact still remains that it will be hard forgetting the darker things you have done.

Thanks for all the memories!

At the end of the storm, is a golden sky,

And the sweet silver song of a lark.

We walk on with hopes in our heart.”

Sincerely,

An Everton fan through and through.
..and in some ways, Jarrad, welcome home