January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

No its fairly simple, you dont sanction a move, until you have improved or at the very least have a deal in place for replacement if there is a relationship break down, there was no difference selling Gordon or Sunday or today - but if we did today - if we couldn't have got anyone in we had a choice to make - now we dont we are weaker. Its that simple mate. We've limited out choices and made ourselves weaker and short, when even before we decided t sell Gordon we need stretehening - sanctioning his sale was stupid. Nothing to do with rating the plaer or not - player trading it was stupid as the point is making yourself stronger, we did the opposite.
I agree the lack of lined up inbounds reflects what we all know, we are the worst run club in the top flight. I see the likes of players we are connected to picking the other relegation threatened sides and I don't blame them. I believe in the Southampton Bournemouth and Wolves projects more than ours. Their scope seems less of a pressure cooker or solely predicated on survival. All caveats to why I think Dyche was a poor choice.

But selling Gordon regardless I don't view as a mistake. If we get relegated I don't think it will be from his absence. And when the trade off is having his fee cut in half post relegation that could be the difference of us staying in the championship or being on the pathway to becoming Sunderland for multiple seasons. Our return will roll over windows and we sold for a good price. We got an inflated return from the right suitor to do so. And with more evidence or the drop I frankly think that 45 could have ended up 30 or below.

It should have been put to use this january, and needs to be reinvested intelligently. If AG's timeline of being in connection with the Magpies all fall is true it makes that fact look even worse. It still was the right choice.

Last edited:

In time I have a feeling we'll find out that we did, but even if not: Do you think it'd have been good business to hold onto an asset that would markedly depreciate in value in the coming months, in the knowledge that he wasn't committed to the cause of the club?

There is a lot of assumption in that post, say he stayed and assisted in keeping us like last season and triggered interest next summer, his value could have appreciated - both that narrative and your are best of subjectivity.

I know we are short, i know we a player in his position, i know not having said player makes it more likely we go down then if we did have that player, therefore i stick to the opinion - that it would be better having a player then not having a player. It was stupid sanctioning the deal until we had someone lined up - which doesn't seem now to be the case. We could have sanctioned his deal today and not Sunday - knowing whether we had someone in or not.

I can understand people who wanted him gone, now faced with an uncomfortable truth - that we are weaker - but im not even accusing that judgement, it could be Jordon Pickford - be stupid sanctioning his sale - without having another keeper to come in with two days left in the window. I dont blame people for the assumption we would reinvest the money to be honest - i presumed the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.