January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sign four strikers one of them should come good, or they could score 5 each and save us from relegation,

Benteke
Dembele
Batshuayi
Willian Jose

Biggest job will be convincing players to come to us, I think. We will probably pay over the odds for mediocare players

If we sign four strikers one of them should come good, or they could score 5 each and save us from relegation,

Benteke
Dembele
Batshuayi
Willian Jose

Biggest job will be convincing players to come to us, I think. We will probably pay over the odds for mediocare players
I think the amount we pay in wages will help to convince them.

Benteke
Dembele
Batshuayi
Willian Jose

I dont think we will get them

Benteke - struggling palace need the player to keep them up
Dembele - no interest in leaving as he would miss out on another winners medal
Batshuayi - scoring important goals for chelsea at the moment and getting some game time
Willian Jose - dont know the current situation with him

ive been racking my head and i cant really think of anyone .. only thing i can think of is get someone in from the championship and pay over the odds

I think the amount we pay in wages will help to convince them.[/QUOTE

Yeah but you have to accept that, now, transfer fees have doubled since last season, so if we went and spent £60m of Benteke, people would freak, because he went to palace for about £30m two seasons ago

Kone was 6m and would walk into the starting 11 of this team.
Alcaraz was a free and 4th choice backup. Who is our fourth choice backup now because Jags is 35, Williams is 33 and Holgate is a kid and completely untested as a CB.
Robles did really well. Kept coming in and getting a string of clean sheets and then getting booted for no obvious reason apart from looking a bit hapless.
McGeady was another free.
Clevery was another free who we sold on for a big profit who is now an important player for a team far higher up the league.
Galloway is a kid.

How much did that entire list cost? 10m->15m.

That's less than one Klassen.

The problem with Martinez is he blew his load with Lukaku and wasn't backed by the board in subsequent windows. He even tried to tell us this by saying we would have to wait 3 or 4 years before he could make another Lukaku like signing. What squad gets to wait 3 or 4 years.

I thought at the time Martinez wasn't great in the transfer market and just got lucky with Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu but christ I didn't know how bad it could get.

Kone was 6m and shot. Didn't have one good game for us and would rank alongside Niasse, except he didn't have the latter's drive.
Even with our current defense having aged 3-4 years since then, anything we have now is better than Alcaraz was then. Holgate is just as mistake-prone but will hopefully learn. Funes Mori is as injury-prone but miles better.
The fact that we look like we haven't practiced defending in 5 years is both down to Martinez and Koeman. Our current centrebacks are Jags, Williams, Keane, Funes Mori, Holgate. Alcaraz would not even play for the U23s.

The fact that neither Martinez nor Koeman bothered to bring in a decent back up striker to Lukaku is enough for me to write them off completely. The defense needs sorting, but how do you do that without bringing in a new player since it's october? I think Jagielka and Keane are our best current partnership, but with Baines being wildly underwhelming lately and the right side looking a shambles I'm not sure how you shore things up.

you joke but i would take him at the moment ... oh everton what have you done to me :confused:
It's no joke. Klopp has ruined him, was arguably one of the top 3 strikers in the Prem before he arrived. He should be at least on the list, you know, after they've cocked up the first 6 or 7 top targets

As far a centre halves go Ben Gibson is worth a look. Finding a left footed one out there who we could get, who's decent, is quite a tricky one at the moment.

It's no joke. Klopp has ruined him, was arguably one of the top 3 strikers in the Prem before he arrived. He should be at least on the list, you know, after they've cocked up the first 6 or 7 top targets

he is one of the few names on here that we might have a chance with, we obviously put all our eggs in one basket and tried to get grioud that didn't work out last minute, sounds like it was more liley to happen then not at some point. then i think we went to chelsea tried to get Batshuayi hence i think hazard came out and said yeah he should go on loan to get the experience.

that didn't pan out then while there they prob said what about costa we snapped at the chance but he just wasn't interested at all. (not that i know anything or have any itk status just purely my feeling of it

Batshuayi - scoring important goals for chelsea at the moment and getting some game time

ive been racking my head and i cant really think of anyone .. only thing i can think of is get someone in from the championship and pay over the odds

Even in the championship, look at who is down there, there is no one of note, you could sign someone from the championship as second choice, but that’s about it.

Benteke is our injured at the moment anyway, but if we offered enough they would sell.

Dembele will want to come to the top flight, he is only at Celtic to play champions league and raise his profile, he would get 5 times the money playing for us as he does for them

Could be right about Batshuayi, he will be on top Wack at Chelsea, so it would be difficult to prise him away

Willian Jose has signed a new deal at Sociedad, but I heard the club did this to up his release clause from £34m to £50m

An SPL winners medal with Celtic in the current climate isn't worth the pewter its imprinted on. If he comes here even for half a season and does well he gives himself an outside chance of making the France World Cup squad. Any of these Celtic players over the last few seasons look for the first exit door they can get. It's proven a very reliable market for Southampton recently and I like what I see from the likes of Dembele and Tierney. The question would be would Celtic sell knowing there would be takers in the summer anyway...

Dembele.. sounds interesting, I like the idea.
Tierney.. heard good things but not took much notice..a solid lb will be a bonus.
Rondon... Not sure about his age and WBA are a tough one to do business with.

Central midfield problems can be sorted with better tactical coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.