How long did Moyes hold us back for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should he have gone in 2010, and did our lack of investment hide his lack of ability ?
Yes and yes. I was consistently calling for his head since the Reading FA cup defeat. You can imagine the vitriol i got from some (wasn't this site at the time, it was discussion with blues on the blueroom and guardian...many were afraid of what we'd become without moyes...literally buying into his small club mentality).

Moyes on the whole was very good for us, mind you (relative to the previous years). But he reached his limit with us 2 or 3 years before he finally left.

I would say 4 years ago was his time to go, maybe earlier but he well over stayed his welcome, going when he did though was an amazing piece of luck for the blues because Roberto wasnt on the radar until last season

A few games when he should have been on gardening leave. Other than that, he did an excellent job of keeping Bobby's seat warm until the time was right.

Long enough.

I respect the job he did at Everton, but for me, the year where we got smashed by Benfica and Sporting, he should have went that season, he cried and cried, about having no money, then went and signed Bilyaletdinov for £11m, then cried more in January.

The whole set up became stagnant, maybe you could say us fans were a little to ungrateful for the job he was doing in the final years, considering he took over and transformed our squad from Blomqvist, Ginola and Gazza to Arteta, Cahill, Mirallas, Coleman, Baines etc... But it was too predictable, and well the sub 30,000 crowds were the tell tale sign. I think the majority of the blues turned when he bottled it in the Semi against the RS, and the what little faith was left, well and truly vanished when we lost 3-0 to Wigan.
Those first 5-6 seasons however, were cracking and i'll never forget that run in the Uefa Cup.

I don't think he believed himself that he could take us forward, that's why we got the siege, defensive mentality. The quotes from him at the time always had us as being under dogs, and that we would be lucky against the top 4 because of there spending power...blah, blah, blah.

Martinez has given the players real belief that we can win. That we fear no one.

No more of this knife to a gun fight rubbish.....we are the big guns!

The timing was perfect, if he'd gone sooner we may never have got Bobby.

He built a very good squad for Martinez to work with, signed Coleman for peanuts, signed Stones, I just think everything has worked out perfectly for our club, I'm glad he stayed as long as he did and I'm also glad he's gone.
Too true,
Who knows who we might have been lumbered with if OFM had gone sooner.
Bobby M came along just at the right time
FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW Etc. Etc. Etc.

Long enough.

I respect the job he did at Everton, but for me, the year where we got smashed by Benfica and Sporting, he should have went the following season, he cried and cried, about having no money, then went and signed Bilyaletdinov for £11m, then cried more in January.

The whole set up became stagnant, maybe you could say us fans were a little to ungrateful for the job he was doing in the final years, considering he took over and transformed our squad from Blomqvist, Ginola and Gazza to Arteta, Cahill, Mirallas, Coleman, Baines etc... But it was too predictable, and well the sub 30,000 crowds were the tell tale sign. I think the majority of the blues turned when he bottled it in the Semi against the RS, and the what little faith was left, well and truly vanished when we lost 3-0 to Wigan.
Those first 5-6 seasons however, were cracking and i'll never forget that run in the Uefa Cup.

Perfect summing up. I'm so so happy he left in the end. Roberto has managed to get us to so many Premier league records and hasn't even had time to build up his team yet. Amazing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.