Status
Not open for further replies.
27 October 1984
Everton 5 Manchester United 0
Sheedy 5, 23
Heath 34
Stevens ?
Sharp 86

Everton: Southall, Stevens, Van den Hauwe, Ratcliffe, Mountfield, Reid, Steven, Heath, Sharp, Bracewell, Sheedy (Gray).

Manchester United: Bailey, McQueen, Albiston, Moses (Stapleton), Moran, Hogg, Robson, Strachan, Hughes, Brazil, Olsen.

Referee: Mr G.Tyson (Sunderland)

Attendance: 40,769.

I cant find details of when Gary Stevens scored his goal.

Last edited:
1984: BRILLIANT EVERTON PUT UNITED TO THE SWORD WITH THUMPING WIN AT GOODISON PARK

Everton simply had a marvellous team in 1984-85. In my books, they remain one of the finest sides of the past three decades in English football. Probably only Liverpool's 1988 vintage and Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United creations of 1999 and 2008 rank higher.
It was this side that means Everton will always be a big club in my eyes, one of the English game's biggest.

Everton had quality all over the park, but their midfield shone the brightest. Paul Bracewell, Trevor Steven, Kevin Sheedy and Peter Reid provided a superb combination and made life unpleasant for all Everton's opponents in that campaign of great achievement.

article-1228019-0049EDC600000258-565_468x306.jpg
Simply marvellous: Everton boss Howard Kendall and striker Graeme Sharp were key figures in the club's brilliant title success in 1984-85

The goal that always sticks in my mind is a diving header from Andy Gray in a 4-2 win over Sunderland, but for a game and complete performance the home match against United was quite something.
I well remember this autumn afternoon, when United under Ron Atkinson were simply no match for the rampant Merseysiders. The Goodison Park faithful had never had it so good.
Everton tore into United from the start, completely outclassing the visitors with a quite stunning show. They deserved their three goal lead by half-time, with Kevin Sheedy scoring twice.
He injured himself in the process of scoring the first with a superb header and after receiving treatment came back on to fire home a second.

Adrian Heath turned in a third goal before the break, and the hosts put the gloss on a splendid win with a powerful drive from Gary Stevens and a header from Graeme Sharp.
For good measure, Everton went to Old Trafford three days later and won 2-1 in a League Cup tie.

The Merseysiders claimed a richly deserved league title that season, and after an unforgettable semi-final victory over Bayern Munich they beat Rapid Vienna in Rotterdam to win the European Cup Winners Cup.

Video of the goals..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb2rJl8uliA&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
great post del, have some pos rep, i couldnt remember the goals tbh, but as soon as shaggy got the ball it all came back to me, wasn't one of the first 1/2 goals on the opening credits for one of the footy shows as well.
i goal i remember vividly is pat nevins against them, greavsie's words were something like "he gave him the arl turkish slipper", jim leighton was in goal that day, the only man who can be nutmegged whilst standing to attention. i think brian'who's farted' mclair played as well, there were so many of them to hate in those days, but mclairs sour face made me hate him more than most.
YouTube - Nevin scoop

this was my first visit to o.t. we played with the boys brigade band before the game and at 1/2 time, i stood where coppell scored from and drained my trumpet on the pen spot to curse it forever.
very daunting for a 12 Y.O. standing infront of a packed o.t. and doin' a solo infront of the stretford end.

YouTube - [80/81] Manchester Utd v Manchester City, Sep 27th 1980

so whenever they miss one infront of the stretford shed, raise a glass to a cocky 12 y.o. who had his everton shirt under his uniform and layed a gallon of gob on the spot.

Ron Atkinson's multi-million pound side arrived at Goodison Park as favourites succeed Liverpool as League Champions. They had been beaten only once that season and saw this as the perfect opportunity to halt Everton's revival in it's infancy.
In many respects, however, this was the day that Howard Kendall's team came of age, the day when the Goodison men proved conclusively that Everton was once again a name to rank with the best in British football.

With a staggering virtuoso performance which personified everything that is best about modern football, Kevin Ratcliffe and his colleagues put United to flight. From the first whistle, Everton never once looked relinquishing their stranglehold. Someone remarked that, if this had been a boxing match, it would have been stopped after ten minutes, so groggy were United at that point.

Kendall's blue-shirted terriers destroyed United in a manner which reminded many of the halcyon days of the 1969-70 Championship season, others felt it was the best single performance of the last two decades. Joe Mercer, watching from the stand, went further. He said it was the best performance he had ever seen by an Everton side.

The pattern was set in the opening two minutes as Derek Mountfield fired just over Bailey's crossbar. Three minutes later there was no such escape for United. Kevin Sheedy, not famed for his aerial prowess, outjumped Moran to glide home a beautiful header. The young Everton star needed stitches to a head wound but bravely carried on.

After 23 minutes Sheedy made it 2-0 after Heath had put him clear. Everton's dazzled hero hammered the ball into the bottom corner from 12 yards. Unable to halt the swirling blue tide, United found themselves 3-0 down after 34 minutes when Heath rammed the ball home from close range.

Everton were hungry for more goals and they surged forward again in the second half. Albiston cleared Heath's header off the line before Stevens almost casually moved into position to lash a fierce drive into the United net via a post. United's humiliation was complete with four minutes left when Sharp marked his own magnificent performance with the fifth goal of the afternoon.

in the lower bullens...

just in me teens great time to be a blue we were blessed.. goal scorers were i know mountfield an sheedy cant remember rest should do tho but the 5th was rifled in by super gary stevens outside the box hard an low 5.0.... the lads now could do with some of the super le coq sportif shootin boots...b)

Status
Not open for further replies.