Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reason why this is funny is that I’m an investment manager and all my best mates are either economists or investment strategists or other investment managers.

so I’m guessing my pub chat is infinity more well informed on the global economy than you’ll ever be.

Youve had a nightmare here. Ive been in the financial markets for decades.

Maybe us pulling out of the race has allowed us to strengthen with 2 midfielders instead of just Allan. Cb was never a priority in my opinion, while getting a new Cb in with bags of potential would of been nice I would much rather get say Allan and doucoure. A stronger more physical midfield instantly relieves pressure on the defence.

This may work with your mates in the pub but im afraid it doesnt wash with anyone knowledgeable on the global economy im afraid.
YEEEAAAAAAAH!
the reason why this is funny is that I’m an investment manager and all my best mates are either economists or investment strategists or other investment managers.

so I’m guessing my pub chat is infinity more well informed on the global economy than you’ll ever be.
Ah....touché

Then why not put a £500 million stadium project on hold like LFC did with the stand expansion?

Everyone who peddles this myth of how we were so terrified of going bankrupt had we went through with a deal for Gabriel never answers me that.

If you get made redundant you don't proceed with buying an expensive big house.

Peddles the myth. lol

The players and staff took wage deferrals.

Nobody knows the financial details of the stadium funding because nothing has been made public about it.

This may work with your mates in the pub but im afraid it doesnt wash with anyone knowledgeable on the global economy im afraid.

Let's just agree that you're both losers.

Time will tell whether it was a poor decision, we haven't seen Gabriel Maldini play yet.

It's similar to the stock market, prices change daily and are even more volatile during these times. I think he was right to come back with a lower offer, it shows he isn't a mug and he's actually willing to try and save the club some money.

Looks to have missed out, but there's more than one young CB in the world with talent.

Stocks, commodities, fx, crypto huge volatility.

As ANY trader would tell you...volatility is our friend. Thats how we make money.

Quite frankly its mystifying to see an 'investment manager' claim otherwise lol

People are in denial mode when it comes to Brands - if this happened under Steve Walsh's watch it would have been:

"GET DAT DER BALDY PE TEACHER OOT OF OUR CLERB"

We should have been buying players DURING the pandemic. I mean thats the best time to buy when nervous clubs want to sell.

Sadly our DOF was equally as nervous.

Not signing a player for millions in a global pandemic whilst football as an industry shut down with no income coming through the door was a mistake by Brands?

So that's what it's about really isn't it? Any mental gymnastics it takes to make something negative his fault.

Football clubs were furloughing staff, taking out huge loans just to operate and arranging wage cuts and deferrals.

You can have your doubts about Brands all you want but to trying to blag that not signing Gabriel months ago is just making a holy show of yourselves.

its really basic economics.

Then why not put a £500 million stadium project on hold like LFC did with the stand expansion?

Everyone who peddles this myth of how we were so terrified of going bankrupt had we went through with a deal for Gabriel never answers me that.

If you get made redundant you don't proceed with buying an expensive big house.

Careful, you'll have posters claim theres no link at all to investments made by the club.

Which in itself is quite bizarre.

From Jan onwards was the time to invest in the squad.

In fact for the stadium we would be smart to be making deals in 2021 when we can get more bang for our buck.

Code: My portfolio is down :)

2019 had a lack of volatility, 2020 massive volatility.

Guess where you make money?
Zat you are talking about signing a player at a price agreed before the globe shut down. That isn’t taking advantage of volatility.

We put the brakes on the deal to renegotiate and others stepped in.

The only way we would have purchased the player would have been at the pre crisis deal.

The issue with signing a player during that kind of period ( and let’s face it, at the time no one knew how long we were going to be locked down for - we didn’t know anything at that point) is that even 18 months is a significant portion of a players career. It’s a lot of money to spend on an asset you simply won’t be using.

At a time when the industry was going to be hit massively and no one knew whether even things like TV revenues were going to be hugely affected.

We were unlucky and in hindsight it would have been worth but I’ve no problem with what we did with this deal. We attempted to renegotiate and it went against us. But it was a reasonable and sensible action to take at the time.

Also apologise if I came across as a BSD. That wasn’t my intention. It just made me chat because my pub chat is about global economics a lot of the time (with those lot anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.