from releageted sides who could we sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
WBA -

Morrison and Zuiverloon have looked at home in the Prem and are both young enough to still improve beyond Osman and Hibbert who they'd replace.

Brunt might be a useful, naturally left-sided addition as a squad player - belter of a shot and 8 goals for the bottom team from midfield's not bad, but probably lacking too much technically to be any real use to us.

Boro -

Adam Johnson will be a good player in a few years but may well benefit from a couple of toughening up seasons in the Championship before he'd make a difference here.

Always liked Tuncay, never stops running and is technically sound as, shame that Southgate never figured out how to use him and he's surrounded by footballing dregs - smells of a Moyes type signing.

With Valente's career over and Lescott better in the centre now, we're going to need a spare left-back, could do worse than Andrew Taylor.

Both their young keepers have shown glimpses of promise - but would they want to play back-up?!...

Newcastle -

Gutierrez is quality and the only player they have that seems to give a **** and try 100%, technically gifted and experienced in Europe - would be brilliant having him and Pienaar charging down either flank.

Hull -

Maybe Geovanni as emergency playmaker back-up in case something happens to Arteta again... Nobody else has the quality needed to help us improve.

Sunderland (never know!) -

Kenwyne Jones although someone's bound to outbid us.

Always liked Malbranque since he was at Fulham, likes to run at his man and is quick & tricky - more of a quality winger than anyone we've had for a long time... Think I read about attitude and professionalism issues though which usually means Moyes will stay clear though.

Robert Koren looks like he could be a player if Moyesy gave him the Finch treatment. Reckon hel be in for Morrison as a cert though.

*Say no to Dubai takeovers!

If we could get him on the cheap, I think that Koren would be a cracking squad player as a backup for Arteta.

However, haven't we moved past these sort of players? For the past few years, we've cried out for multiple signings, even if they are just squad players. This season though, we've had probably the worst injury list in the league, yet we kept winning. We actually have a reasonable squad. Even better, only Neville is getting old.

I think most of these players mentioned at these clubs (Koren included) are basically no better and no worse than what we have. Some of them might provide a different option, but is that enough to justify a few million? There are some decent players, and 3-4 years ago they would have walked into our team. Now though? I mean, I agree, James Morrison could be a bit part player in our squad. Is he really THAT much better than Gosling though?

It's not like these players will go on free transfers either, they'll be an auction for the better ones from the likes of Fulham, plus the newly promoted sides who traditionally spend their new found wealth on such players.

Martins
Downing
Jones

but not Owen wouldn,t pay money passed his sell buy date,If they go down may get him on a free. if Owen did come do you think he would Sl*g off the Red Sh*te

Gutierrez, can't see any winger better than him in thoes relegated teams.

Geovanni is too inconsistant.

Stephen Taylor - Not bad but wouldn't want to come in as back up and is definately not better then our current crop of centre backs. Can play right back but not his best position

Downing - No. Too slow, cant beat a man. We need pace and he aint got it. Also he's done well for Boro in the past but has been **** this season and always fails in a team with better players (England)

Adam Johnson - Absolutely no end product. He'd not be cheap and isn't particularly good.

Barton - Hell no! Wouldn't want a bad egg like this in our camp

Martins - A good player but tends to go missing in games and for chunks of the season. Wouldn't be happy being a bench player for us and isn't as good as the Yak... also be expensive.

Owen - Watched the toon match last night and to say he was a shadow of his former self would be an insult to shadows! For the wages he'd cost he'd be an awful buy!

Bullard - Excellent player, shame he's injured and getting on a bit. I think he's a cracking talent for a smaller team but there's no guarantee how good he'll be when he comes back form his injury. Would maybe worth a punt for a few mill if he was fit but as Hull paid £5m for him they'd want that back and I dont think he's worth that.

Gutierrez - Decent if a bit light weight. Hasn't really set the world a light at newcastle (but then again who has?) and I dont think he's scored a goal this season. No real end product but lots of skill. For me he's not the player we need but probs the best shout i've seen on here.

Gutierrez for me! Seen Newcastle play alot this season and he's without doubt one of their best players for me. Although he can't finish to save his life, his pace alone is an asset. Don't know how much we could get him for though? He wouldn't be cheap that's for sure.

As for Downing, I hope to god we don't put a bid in for him, he's dreadful.

What did Newcastle pay fo Gutierrez?

And did anyone else watch the Newcastle match last night? That massive fat fella singing 'Walking in a Shearer Wonderland' in an operatic geordie accent before the match was a sight.

I wouldn't take any of them. All the players mentioned would be squad players.....at best and wouldn't be an improvement on the 1st 11.
We need to sign players who will the replace the lesser players currently in the team, the likes of Ossie & Neville, who would then become the back up players. Only then will we move forward

I wouldn't take any of them. All the players mentioned would be squad players.....at best and wouldn't be an improvement on the 1st 11.
We need to sign players who will the replace the lesser players currently in the team, the likes of Ossie & Neville, who would then become the back up players. Only then will we move forward

Agree. I can´t see anyone strenghten our team. And that´s what we want.

Thirded. Noone stands out for me.

Fourthed. None of the players would push us to the next level, some would make decent squad players and if we need some fillers im sure Moyes will go calling.

I wish people would see this Guiterez for what he is. Hes good on the ball and hes pacy, but he cant cross, cant beat a man and cant shoot. Reminds me of Ryan Babel.

I like Gutierrez too but unless Citeh comes with a giant bid for Lescott we have decent depth at CB. I think Neville could also play CB if needed so its not a priority. He's in the Steven Hunt category, nice player, not a priority.
What?

I see some members here being harsh on Jonas, for me he's an quality player - can play both wings, also he's used to play as full back and central-attacking midfielder. He's pacy, can beat his man and works very, very hard. He would be a great signing and I IMHO he would made us a much better team.
Would consider also Malbranque, even if I rates him slightly less than Gutierres. But he's also versatile and works very hard, more of a playmaking mind though.

Don't really want Downing and really don't want Owen, also striker shouldn't be a priority (even if I really rate Martins and Kenwyne Jones).

Somebody mentioned Geovanni - really a hot and cold player (literally, since he's playing much better during warmer months), he also can't replace Arteta - he's much more attacking player, usually does his best in 3rd part of the pitch. More of a winger/support striker kind of player.

Also, if we would sell Yobo or Lescott Bassong would be a great replacement in my opinion.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.