Football as We Know It Is Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rb8la.jpg

It's already gone, it went the minute Man City spending so much brought in P&SR. Right there, given the squad they had built, instantly became a disadvantage for the other clubs who had any ambition.

Chelsea had also established themselves the same way in the few years prior. So those two clubs weren't really grown organically and the rug was pulled for everyone else.

We all know it doesn't effect certain clubs because they have revenue streams much bigger than everyone else, so the established order will continue, maybe a miracle Leicester in there but pretty much all the comps are almost impossible to win now.

When you then start factoring in VAR and it is blatantly obvious that the game is heavily rigged in favour of 6 clubs. Even Newcastle are afraid to join the party for fear of FFP, the richest club on the planet, how does this make any sense.

The game has been cooked for years, and not within this league.
Look to other leagues.
Scotland - Two horse race.
Spain- Two/Three (Genoa this year doing a Leicester).
Germany- Bayern.
France - PSG.
Holland - Three horse race.
Italy -Three.

Full disclosure, I haven't gone and checked the other leagues, but from that dip sample, it is the same teams within their respective league constantly challenging.

I have resigned myself to accepting Everton will never win the league again in my life, unless there is a fair overhaul of the system, that allows each club to compete, regardless of their standing - even newly promoted teams.

This top heavy system will inevitably collapse, I just hope it doesn't take established clubs along the way.
This is what used to separate our league from the rest, it was always more competitive from 1 through 20, now we are the same. It is boring.

This is the post of the year. Brilliant and absolutely spot on.

But I watch a lot of 80's football on YouTube and I will say that there are two ways in which the game has improved hugely.
1. The actual quality of the football (ignoring the play acting) is way higher than it used to be. Honestly, some of those 1980's matches, even the ones we remember as being high quality matches, the actual footy on show was awful compared to today. Partly because the pitches were so much worse then, and partly the mentality of the managers now and the influence of foreign coaches.
2. The stadiums in most divisions are full these days, whereas most stadiums were a bit desolate and empty for many matches back then. The big matches we remember most were fine, but the everyday league fixtures would be played out to echoing terraces.

Three things to bring the game back to us a bit:
1. Salary cap as mentioned above.
2. Safe standing for entire stands, which would bring the noise and energy back.
3. Get rid of VAR and put our trust back in competent referees and assistants in order that we can actually celebrate goals again.

The games all about money, which is the fundamental problem causing the corrupt state of affairs we have now. The championship is the closest thing we have to real football, with no VAR and a relatively level playing field for clubs to succeed. It's never going to happen, but would be refreshing if clubs started refusing promotion to the PL. Why go up and get battered in a league that nobody is allowed to compete in?

This is what used to separate our league from the rest, it was always more competitive from 1 through 20, now we are the same. It is boring.
That's true, look at forest tried to get in among the teams in the prem by getting more players in.
Like you would really expect them to .
Now being penalised for it because they didn't do a sheff unt , just come up , enjoy the briefest thrill of the prem then become the whipping boys. And sent back were the so called elite think they belong, like the prem wants them to.

I concur with all of that.

Lower down the pyramid is where it is at. Personally, I watch a lot more Rugby. If there was more League One & Two on the screen then I would also go to that. Watch Barrow through iFollow, but it is hard to know when a lower league game is on the box. Might start getting on to National League games on TNT, I think that is where they are.

Someone needs to put a stop to this nonsense . As a blue i am of course horrified by recent events but as a lover of football for my whole life i am heartbroken . Our game is getting ruined by people clearly with other agendas than making the game better which is surely there remit . The DCL red card summed up how VAR is not working. At the ground - no real appeal from fans or players - no outrage or noise ! how can they gauge that miles away from the ground … At least before when the ref made a mistake it was just part of the game and you either celebrated or rued your bad luck … now everything that happens is reviewed which would be a good idea if we didnt have idiots doing it with there own agendas and pre match instructions. Somebody needs to act here quickly as the game and the set up as we have known for many years is close to an end … Tragic !

Seriously thinking about just packing English footy in and watching the Bundesliga instead.

Far more fairly & sustainably ran were the fans are king. My recent trip to the MEWA Arena (Mainz 05) opened my eyes to what proper 'modern' footy should feel like and I loved it.

Football is now becoming (or is) like F1. F1, stewards decision after the race, now changes the result of the race.

Football is now not being decided on a football pitch.

VAR - You cannot celebrate a goal anymore. It is being decided in an office somewhere on an industrial estate
FFP - Submit your accounts in Dec. Punishment/appeal in April. If you are down there, then you got to wait for the outcome of FFP.

The fun of being a fan of a football club is slowly being taken away. Football is now a big business and so much money involved that playing the game on a pitch is almost becoming secondary.

Yep, that bit about Forest being punished for trying to compete is spot on. What a sickening rule it really is. If the owner has some dough, they should be allowed to spend it.

Everton would have won NOTHING in the 1960's with this set of rules.
Agree and think this is also a big part of the problem .The Rich owners can get the money in through the back door if needed so either way in to the club and for use to buy players … the rules are mad - even the barcodes who are now the richest club are being very careful as they are trying to work to a set of rules that dont make any sense knowing the eye is on them because of the saudi connections … madness

I watch more lower level rugby league now. Honest lads running their blood to water for around £300 a week. Then clocking in on Monday morning to do a days work. Most soccer players wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.