Follow Follow Follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Echo are saying he will be on the bench as well:

MIKEL ARTETA could be named as a substitute for Everton’s FA Cup tie with Birmingham City today.

The inspirational Spaniard has trained with the first team squad this week, after spending 11 months on the sidelines with a cruciate ligament injury.

David Moyes has seen enough to have lined-up the 27-year-old fans’ favourite for a place on the bench.
The Everton boss had already stated earlier this week that Arteta was targeting a return to first team action in time for next month’s derby a Anfield.

But Everton’s coaching staff have been thrilled with the progress Arteta has made this week, and how his knee has responded to full training.

Although it is unlikely he will be asked to play any part in today’s game, his presence on the bench will provide a major lift for the club.

And Moyes believes the return of players like Arteta means Everton can finish strongly in the league.
He said: “We need to go on a terrific run to have any of the teams above us worried, but we have to try and aim for that.

“When we have our players back we are a match for most teams. We are capable of beating most sides on our day and I think our day is looking more likely than earlier in the season.”

The Blues boss also said he has not given up hope of making three more additions to his squad before the January transfer window closes.

But he believes the options provided by his young guns are impressive, and urged James Vaughan and Seamus Coleman to emulate last season’s FA cup heroes Dan Gosling and Jack Rodwell.

He said: “I hope I might have one more loan signing coming in. I may have a possibility of another couple.
“I’m sure Seamus and James will look at the FA Cup contribution of Dan and Jack last season as an example.
“They both made important contribution and helped us get to the final. If Seamus and Vaughany get their chances hopefully they’ll do as well as the two youngsters last year.”
Meanwhile, the manager has revealed that he decided to let Jo leave Everton after he missed training again earlier this week.

Jo joined the Toffees on a season-long loan deal from Manchester City, but the Brazilian has struggled for form and angered Moyes last month when he returned to Rio de Janeiro without permission.
Jo was suspended for going AWOL and then allowed to return to training, but Moyes’ patience ran out completely on Monday when the 22-year-old failed to show up for a session at the club’s Finch Farm complex.

Everton severed his loan spell and City immediately sent him out to Turkish club Galatasaray for the remainder of the season.

Moyes said: “Everybody is aware that Jo didn’t come in over the Christmas period and we fined and suspended him.

“I brought him back in, spoke to him and I explained to all of the players that I was going to give him another chance.

“He came and trained with us last week, but he didn’t turn up for training on Monday again. So when he hadn’t turned up again, I don’t know how many more chances I can give people.”
Moyes explained he was worried about the impact Jo’s conduct may have had on the rest of his squad.

He said: “I then thought it might disrupt players. The players accepted that it was the right decision to bring him back after suspension. But he never came into work on Monday and that was the final straw.”

Even if moyes doesn't give him the start straightaway I dream of this scenario:

90th min..0-0 the scoreline vs Chelsea at GP. Arteta comes on for Cahill, wins a freekick straightaway 30 yards out.

Martin Tyler : "it's certainly in Arteta's territory this one, can he win it for everton?............ARTETAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!..the magician is back!! With a bang!";);)

I just had one of those shaking with excitement moments. The moment is edging nearer. He will return soon.

Even if moyes doesn't give him the start straightaway I dream of this scenario:

.Arteta comes on for Cahill, wins a freekick straightaway 30 yards out.

Martin Tyler : "it's certainly in Arteta's territory this one, can he win it for everton?............ARTETAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!..the magician is back!! With a bang!";);)

Can he get everton into double figures? - sounds more appealing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.