Evertonians in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other of these rare breeds like me out there?

The chances of seeing another Evertonian on the street are very slim, Were outnumbered compared to Liverpudlians, Plastic fans (Chelsea), Spurs fans, And Manchester Ushited fans. I was shocked when I was in Liverpool last week and you couldn't turn a corner without meeting a fellow Evertonian. Why can't Ireland be like this?
Can't believe we are outnumbered by Spurs in Ireland, the other 3 maybe but since when have Spurs been successful? I just think blues are a bit conservative and keep a low profile untill we are a force in the game.

It is strange Chelsea being popular in the Republic.

They had their "Blues Brothers" thing with Linfield and Rangers going on for a long time.

I have heard their fans sing "the Sash" at Goodison and they always wave the six county flag.

I thought Arsenal were bigger in the South than that poll indicates.

They certainly were popular in the Brady/Stapleton/O'Leary days and even glory hunters would have more to follow them for than the RS over this past 25 years.

It is strange Chelsea being popular in the Republic.

They had their "Blues Brothers" thing with Linfield and Rangers going on for a long time.

I have heard their fans sing "the Sash" at Goodison and they always wave the six county flag.

I thought Arsenal were bigger in the South than that poll indicates.

They certainly were popular in the Brady/Stapleton/O'Leary days and even glory hunters would have more to follow them for than the RS over this past 25 years.

I think I've only ever met 1 Chelsea fan here, and he was insistent it was a long standing thing. Anyone who 'supports' them now seems to have come onboard since their nouveau riche era began.

Yes there was a lot of interest in Arsenal in the late 70s when they had 8/9 Irish players in their team at one point. Fans (especially younger ones) seem to tend to follow PL teams where there are Irish players, hence the interest in Sunderland in recent years. With our Irish contingent at Everton there has definitely been an increase in our support in recent times among younger fans. Hopefully that's them hooked for life as we all are.

As posted earlier the early flight Saturday was full of Blues heading to see that crap performance (BR family included). A lot of ST holders in the Dublin area who fly over and back the same day for matches.

Those of us living further afield, and with family tend to make it a one or two night stay - still plenty of Blues on the lunchtime flight home on Monday!

I have posted this before, but the Kitbag deal whereby for the last number of years NO official merchandise was visible in any sports shops in Ireland was a serious blow to trying to encourage youngsters to follow the true faith. This has only recently changed but we have years to catch up on the usual mob like RS, Mancs, Gooners as well as clubs like Spuds, citeh, Sunderland etc whose jersies were very visible in the sports retailers while ours were missing.

Another major factor is the failure to come and play friendlies in Ireland. Believe it or not Everton came over to play Shamrock Rovers every summer from 1966/7 to 1971/2 - 6 years in a row. It was 19 years before they played Rovers again, and it has been a further 24 years since that game in 1991.

Everton have played a handful of other friendlies in the past 25 years such as against Cork city in 1990 and Drogheda around 1988 and again around 1995. I also remember one against Bray around 2003 or so. There was talk of a match v Dundalk this season but last I heard was EFC trying to pull out of that - maybe Prof Toffee can illuminate.

Pre season games in Ireland in July would see League of Ireland teams at the peak of their fitness, as the season runs from March to October. It is a very short flight and would be a hell of a lot more beneficial to pre-season training than long haul to USA or the Far East. While these trips could also be done as a PR exercise, there is more potential for serious pre-season preparation over here imo.

I so agree with you @Bluerover with regards coming over to play in Ireland, we haven't been in this strong a position with 4 internationals in our ranks in a long time, if ever. we go off around the world playing matches while there is potential for a really large fan base and match going fans on their doorstep. one week tour play three games in perhaps Dublin,Cork & perhaps Galway or Limerick , three areas where flights to Liverpool are available on a weekly basis.
no brainer to me anyway.

If we had 3 jap/Korean or Chinese players, guess where we would be going for a pre season "tournament"? Can't understand why we don't play at least one friendly in Ireland. Not every year but now and again, just to breed familiarity.

You can buy them in lifestyle in dublin now shop near the lilac centre not sure where else does them.first time ive seen them in any shop with years.good deals on everton club shop online at the minute.ya so true what previous poster said you would think with mcgeady jimmy mac gibson an seamie there they would have a game here against rovers or maybe celtic surely sell out the aviva stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.