Everton Youth Teams Thread

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ez-tom-cleverley-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu
Martínez refused to be drawn on whether he would make a renewed attempt to sign Cleverley. He said: “It’s impossible for me to say what will happen in 10 months. I can’t say we are going to be after him. We’ve got two or three young players at Everton who might come through and take their opportunity – Liam Walsh, Ryan Ledson, Kieran Dowell – and they would fit into the squad.

Found his comments interesting, as much for the names he missed out (eg Lundstrum) as those he included.

IIRC Ledson and Walsh play in the "Barry" position rather than as attacking midfilelder which is what I thought Martinez saw as Cleverley's potential role.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ez-tom-cleverley-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu
Martínez refused to be drawn on whether he would make a renewed attempt to sign Cleverley. He said: “It’s impossible for me to say what will happen in 10 months. I can’t say we are going to be after him. We’ve got two or three young players at Everton who might come through and take their opportunity – Liam Walsh, Ryan Ledson, Kieran Dowell – and they would fit into the squad.

Found his comments interesting, as much for the names he missed out (eg Lundstrum) as those he included.

IIRC Ledson and Walsh play in the "Barry" position rather than as attacking midfilelder which is what I thought Martinez saw as Cleverley's potential role.

Walsh is a much more attacking player.

First time I've heard Walsh or Dowell mentioned as imminent squad prospects (not that I'm sourced like). Exciting times if Martinez seriously thinks bringing any of them through in the next 12 months is potentially a better bet than bringing in Cleverley.

Henry Winter in the Torygraph once namechecked Ledson and Dowell as examples that English young players are as technically gifted as those from Spain, Holland Germany etc.

These lads are the future of the club, but they are not the present...look at their age.
At the very best they are probably eighteen months or two years away from contesting a first team squad place.

They are the age now that Rooney was when he first played for the first team and he was a freak of nature. He had the build of a man
although only sixteen.

I think the message was clearly meant for Cleverly...telling him that he is wanted at Everton.

Aye all 3 are years away from the first team. They don't have the fitness to challenge and sustain their fitness levels for 90mins in this League. Walsh and Ledson have played deeper midfield roles, Dowell tends to play as an advanced playmaker across the midfield.

Aye all 3 are years away from the first team. They don't have the fitness to challenge and sustain their fitness levels for 90mins in this League. Walsh and Ledson have played deeper midfield roles, Dowell tends to play as an advanced playmaker across the midfield.
I don't think ledson would have been on the bench last season if he was miles away as you put it and Martinez said he would have featured v hull in the last day but for England duty
I think he will get game time for the 1st team this maybe not loads but some

I don't think ledson would have been on the bench last season if he was miles away as you put it and Martinez said he would have featured v hull in the last day but for England duty
I think he will get game time for the 1st team this maybe not loads but some
Thou shalt not argue with Swisso on youth players am afraid mate.