Everton Youth Teams Thread

I still don't think Small ends up a full back he's too good going forward and far too much of a liability the other way. Which makes it tricky for him because who loans a LB in the lower league with plans of playing him higher up? And who loans an 18 year old who can't defend to play him LB

Southampton are gambling an awful lot on kids and them being just about good enough to stay up the next two seasons until the kids get properly ready. Small, Livramento, Lavia, bazanu and potentially Colwill is a very young core and I question how effectively a manager can bleed all these kids in at once and develop them all.

It’s not clear that he’s got anything lined up, just seems to be backing himself to succeed
@themoderndaygk
“Pat wanted a guarantee of a loan move to a men’s team for the new season, but the club were not able to do this. They didn’t seem to see the value of a loan move as much as we did. They also offered incentives for playing u23 football rather gaining proper experience.”

Its a bold move for an 18 year old , 6 foot goalkeeper who is apparently technically gifted . While you can’t argue with wanting a loan move the reality is very few teams are likely to give a young, and inexperienced GK a chance, a few mistakes and they’re dropped , we saw that with Virginia.
In reality, I think he’s been released.

They may have offered him a role to stay as a training goalkeeper on a small wage, which is where’s the comment about refusing a contract have come from, but I know he wasn’t rated at all.

I still don't think Small ends up a full back he's too good going forward and far too much of a liability the other way. Which makes it tricky for him because who loans a LB in the lower league with plans of playing him higher up? And who loans an 18 year old who can't defend to play him LB

Southampton are gambling an awful lot on kids and them being just about good enough to stay up the next two seasons until the kids get properly ready. Small, Livramento, Lavia, bazanu and potentially Colwill is a very young core and I question how effectively a manager can bleed all these kids in at once and develop them all.

You can't put small in the same category as livramento or bazuna, they have achieved far more than him and potentially already more than he'll ever achieve.

The guy was either deluded/badly advised/just wanted a move (or all 3).
He was nowhere near ready for 1st team footy

….I suspect he made a lot of money from the move, money he wasn’t guaranteed to make with us. I actually think Samuels-Smith is a greater loss. I don’t blame any of these youngsters doing what they think is best for them.

You can't put small in the same category as livramento or bazuna, they have achieved far more than him and potentially already more than he'll ever achieve.
I'd say Small was following Tinos trajectory rather similarly given playing up for England etc. Small is 2 years younger and a top quality wing back vs his peers. Just because he has now left doesn't mean Small is a bad player his youth pedigree is rather phenomenal up to this season where I stopped following as much. Its a big jump to where Livramento has ended up but he still is probably in the top 5 for fees received for a 17 year old. For any other non top 6 side he'd be the jewel to build around

The way we act with goalies is bizarre

There’s some new, very good, young goalkeeping coaches in our academy now, 1 in a very senior role who’s a top drawer, exciting coach with modern ideas. I think we’ll see a dramatic change in what we do in future and I expect we may see a lot of the current keepers leave.

I know a lot of fans say they don’t want ex-players in coaching roles, they just want the best young coaches whether they’re blues or not. I can say with confidence we’ve definitely done that in the academy goalkeeping department even though it may not have come with a big fan fare.

I'd say Small was following Tinos trajectory rather similarly given playing up for England etc. Small is 2 years younger and a top quality wing back vs his peers. Just because he has now left doesn't mean Small is a bad player his youth pedigree is rather phenomenal up to this season where I stopped following as much. Its a big jump to where Livramento has ended up but he still is probably in the top 5 for fees received for a 17 year old. For any other non top 6 side he'd be the jewel to build around

I just meant to include him in the 'young core' Southampton will be relying on with those 2. He might never play a premier league game for them or anyone, those 2 will play 100s of premier league games if they stay healthy

I saw the lad, looks a decent keeper but just way too small for me.
That’s it, his distribution was great and very eye catching but ultimately, keepers have to keep it out the net by any means and his shot stopping was below average.

He’s been over hyped by the people he was working with and we’ve gave him a chance due to the keepers we already had not being good enough but he wasn’t the answer. I’m not exactly sure how long he was here but I think it’s only about 6 months and we’ve quickly decided he’s not for us.

That’s it, his distribution was great and very eye catching but ultimately, keepers have to keep it out the net by any means and his shot stopping was below average.

He’s been over hyped by the people he was working with and we’ve gave him a chance due to the keepers we already had not being good enough but he wasn’t the answer. I’m not exactly sure how long he was here but I think it’s only about 6 months and we’ve quickly decided he’s not for us.

If it’s that impressive can’t he just play outfield lol

He looked about 5 ft 6. He might grow, but honestly just way too small.

Harry Tyrer has always looked ok. We had a lad from City too we signed who looked ok. Mist be about 18/19 now.