Everton v Crystal Palace. 21st Sep at 16.00.

Result?

• Everton

Votes: 286 83.9%
  • Palace

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Atsu -- I thought he was dangerous going forward and creating chances, though he was a little loose with some passes near midfield. Don't see the complaints about him myself, except that he didn't make an impact tracking back.

Osman -- good distributor but that is literally all I trust him to do. Worthless for putting pressure on the ball and/or winning it back. Is not strong or fast enough to hold the ball. Falls over like a strawman argument. A squad member for non-league games unless health/fitness require his presence in the side.

Besic -- think the comments above are spot on re: there not being trust with him yet. The coming Cup and Europa matches are going to be huge for him to establish that trust.

Overall what can you say about the match? 3 bad mistakes led to 3 goals. Palace made the most of their chances and Everton left loads of chances unfinished. The Howard errors are troubling because he's the clear number 1 keeper. He simply must be sharper. The Osman mistake didn't surprise me given his limitations. Fingers crossed for Barkley to be healthy and for Besic to prove himself, both as soon as possible. Otherwise I thought Everton played well but just failed to capitalize. Wonder how much of it was an "off night" and how much of it can be attributed to playing Wolfsburg on Thursday.

So angry that we have managed to throw 3 points away. As soon as we scored we sat back and just let them come at us building momentum. Last season Martinez inherited a solid defensive from
Moyes, for all his cons that was what you could generally rely on, a good solid defence; this season them defenders (Coleman aside) have deteriorated massively and Martinez looks clueless as to what to do about it. His defensive mishaps at Wigan were well documented and we're now seeing them here. John Stones was our best defender against West Brom and Wolfsburg at CB yet he shifts him out to RB, why?!

Let's not make Martinez like what Moyes was for a large majority of Everton fans, bulletproof.

It's 2pm on Monday afternoon in NZ. The game finished about 9 hours ago, and I am still mightily pissed off at that Everton performance. Very disheartening which is lending very little to the productivity of my day.

Lift your game Everton!

Aye, I woke up in a fume this morning. The only prescription is hurting the people I love.

*Smashes empty Smirnoff Ice bottle and blames family for something innocuous that happened 10 years ago

So angry that we have managed to throw 3 points away. As soon as we scored we sat back and just let them come at us building momentum. Last season Martinez inherited a solid defensive from
Moyes, for all his cons that was what you could generally rely on, a good solid defence; this season them defenders (Coleman aside) have deteriorated massively and Martinez looks clueless as to what to do about it. His defensive mishaps at Wigan were well documented and we're now seeing them here. John Stones was our best defender against West Brom and Wolfsburg at CB yet he shifts him out to RB, why?!

Let's not make Martinez like what Moyes was for a large majority of Everton fans, bulletproof.
I see your point but to be fiar to Martinez who would have expected Distin and Jagielka to start so badly? They look like a new partnership. It's not like they've been terrible for a long time, even last season with injuries we still had one of the best defensive records in the league. The blame has to land at the players doors, they know what is expected of them at Everton and they need to up their game. Simple as that. They're both more than capable so start one of them with Stones and let them play their way back in. Beside's startin Alcaraz there isn't much of an alternative. It's stupid mistakes that are costing us. If the players could concentrate for the full 90 minutes we'd be sitting pretty in the leage.

I see your point but to be fiar to Martinez who would have expected Distin and Jagielka to start so badly? They look like a new partnership. It's not like they've been terrible for a long time, even last season with injuries we still had one of the best defensive records in the league. The blame has to land at the players doors, they know what is expected of them at Everton and they need to up their game. Simple as that. They're both more than capable so start one of them with Stones and let them play their way back in. Beside's startin Alcaraz there isn't much of an alternative. It's stupid mistakes that are costing us. If the players could concentrate for the full 90 minutes we'd be sitting pretty in the leage.
Jagielka was terrible the second half of last season, coupled with his World Cup performance and his poor pre-season form I think everybody saw it but Martinez.

The blame has to be taken collectively of course but Martinez is the manager. He can't help individual errors on the pitch but he can address the issues that have affected us most by dropping the players who are consistently making these errors.

No matter what anyone says you do not change a winning team and and move your best CB to RB just to accommodate your favourites. This season has been like watching Wigan and I worry that Martinez doesn't have the tactful awareness to change our defensive problems because he sure has hell hasn't learned from any of the 11 goals we conceded prior to yesterday.

Jagielka was terrible the second half of last season, coupled with his World Cup performance and his poor pre-season form I think everybody saw it but Martinez
No matter what anyone says you do not change a winning team and and move your best CB to RB just to accommodate your favourites. This season has been like watching Wigan and I worry that Martinez doesn't have the tactful awareness to change our defensive problems because he sure has hell hasn't learned from any of the 11 goals we conceded prior to yesterday.

...tactical

Martinez should know that if you choose to play attacking football (back3) you need to score more goals than the opposition -
and if you play defensive football (back 4) you need to let in less goals than the opposition -
Crystal Palace played successful defensive football yesterday and we failed in trying to play attacking football

It's 2pm on Monday afternoon in NZ. The game finished about 9 hours ago, and I am still mightily pissed off at that Everton performance. Very disheartening which is lending very little to the productivity of my day.

Lift your game Everton!
It is now 8pm Monday evening in NZ...and I would like RM and the bottlers that represented us today, to know that I am still not a happy camper. The lowest paid player on an Everton contract, on that pitch, still earns probably 4 times what I do, and I employ over 150 people. I want accountability, not RM's " I didn't think we were phenomenal today" bullshitisms.

Terrible result, but not necessarily a terrible performance. Just individual mistakes that cost us, again.

We dominated the game (76% possession), and at times played some really good stuff, particulalrly in the first half. But I felt that without Naismith and Mirrallas we couldn't really turn that possession into clear cut chances. We started to panic a little after they equalised, which was silly, because they were so awful.

Palace knew exactly what to do to win this game, it was so obvious what their game plan was. They just had to sit back and relax, and keep frustrating us. As soon as they got the penalty (which was fortunate because it was the first time they'd got anywhere near our box) then the game was just playing into their hands.

I thought Lukaku actually played a lot better than he has been in previous games, his link up play was good. Atsu had a good performance, bar a few mistakes, and his one touch passing was good. He'll defintley give us something completely different from McGeady. Eto'o played well, but I thought that he was less effective out wide, I would have prefered him to play directly behind Lukaku. Can't really find fault with Barry or McCarhty's performances, they worked hard throughout the game.

Osman...don't wanna single him out as the scapegoat, but I don't want to see him starting anymore Premier League games. His mistakes (which mostly involve him falling over in a crucial area of the pitch from the slightest bit of contact) cost us too often. Granted, he created the first goal, but he cancelled it out by causing the third.

It's funny how Howard can go from having a man of the match performance on Thursday, to making two massive mistakes a few days later (though perhaps the penalty was more Stones/Distins fault). It is what is, I think it is knee-jerking to say that he is not good enough. He has a couple of bad mistakes in him each season. He'll know what he done, and he'll be angry that he cost us. But he is still a good enough keeper.

As for Martinez, I can understand the need to rotate a little, and he was obvisouly forced to play Stones at RB because Coleman was injured, but I just can't get my head around the substitutions he made, and I can't quite understand why we finished the game with McCarthy and Barry playing in defence?!

As I said, terrible result, caused by individual errors, but we are not playing bad. Guess you've gotta just look on the brightside: Liverpool, Utd and Spurs threw away 3 points this week as well.

More negatives than positives this is the worrying factor for me.

Osman when he had the ball looked ok to me tbh, hes getting slagged to the hills but he was far from the worst player on the pitch, Howard cost us 2 goals yesterday, i blame him for the Pen (he should have been screaming "AWAY" to Stones iirc to clear the ball not charging off his line when a defender can deal with it) and the header yet its Osman getting the flack.... Lukaku needs a good [Poor language removed] slap off Dunc.

Tuesday we go full strength best possible 11, we need a pick me up both team and fans, not good enough yesterday.

Is Jags still worthy of being captain? I don't get the sense he fires up the team, he seems to instil panic mode than anything. Perhaps it's worth giving the armband to Barry or Bainsey for a game or two?

Looking back at the highlights last night, the fume died down a bit but 2 of those individual errors were absolute howlers and nowhere near Premiership standard. I would have thought the team would be raring to get among them and run up a cricket score, especially as the first goal was notched up fairly quickly. Why ease off / sit back and let the bottom team in the league off the hook like that?

In conclusion: the mentality's still not right and it needs addressing pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.