Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a valid point.

If James is everything that some on here say he is and seem to think he is..... then why is he at Everton and why are teams not fighting to sign him ?
I’m no huge defender of James. I don’t think him leaving would be the bombshell some think, but I don’t follow this logic. If mid-table clubs could only ever attract mid-table players unopposed, they’d never move and there’d be little point to competitive football.

As I’m sure you well know (and we found out to a degree last year) his injury record is sketchy. As a club we took the view that we’d rather have that calibre of player available to us 2/3 of the time than not at all, and that the outlay for that was justified.

In terms of reputation and ability he is light years ahead of the rest of the team. We saw a glimpse at the start of the season of what he could do for the team but unfortunately we dragged him down to our level rather than the opposite.

A bit disingenuous this, mate.

He knew with certainty he couldn’t play. We all knew that he’s not hiding an Everton tattoo on his bumcheek; he’s not going to stay around to watch our final game for the love of the club and evidently Carlo - who he undoubtedly DOES have respect for - gave him permission to go, so in THAT situation he may as well get back a bit early to the family he hasn’t seen in ages. Other players didn’t do the same because they weren’t ruled out, although to suggest they played in that final match may be a stretch…

Look at Brazil though mate - it was hammered by Covid at one stage yet Richarlison never left the squad when he was suspended for 3 weeks, Bernie barely featured last season and was left out of the matchday squad on a few occasions - he never left Merseyside to jet around seeing family.

And again I don't think it was massive deal in itself and Rodriguez seems a nice enough fella - but he isn't the right fit for this club. He suits a club like Chelsea who let their dressing room run the show but are good enough to still succeed.

We have a massive mentality issue at this club and primadonnas and players who want indulging and privileges dont help the managers job in trying to instil a strong work ethic.

It is a valid point.

If James is everything that some on here say he is and seem to think he is..... then why is he at Everton and why are teams not fighting to sign him ?
That's not what the original point was though which is why I'm confused. He's started by talking about his mentality or some nonsense.

The answer is the injuries and his age though. Before us he had been signed by Monaco when they decided they wanted to spend a ton of money for a few years, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. It's proper weird going on about how he's always been crap.

Frankly he's an all time what if for me. He was a top ten or so player in the world in 2014 and 2015 but he had to be phased out at Madrid to accommodate a top 2 player in the world. He never got a good move and then the injuries came on top of that. There's a world where thing break different and he's viewed at like a Nedved or Lampard type level. It's a shame. I'd love for him to have a good last few years here but frankly you don't hire Rafael to get the most out of #10s in 2021.

I thought they were all Argyle fans , especially around Looe.
Maybe they are up near the Tamar. Not seen many green shirts down our neck of the wood though.

I think this is where Villa have been smart with the Ings signing.

They've probably paid too much, but if he stays fit he pretty much guarantees double figures of goals and that's a huge boost for a side which is trying to rebuild - and it's where we went so badly wrong after selling Lukaku.

Bailey is a quality player but may need some time, while Buendia has been in the Prem and England for a long time so not really sure he can be deemed risky. However, Ings coming in takes the strain off Watkins to score their goals. I think they've done it smartly.
I like all three players they've bought. Plenty of shouts on here for all 3 of them over the last 12 months. Funny how they're a risk now they've signed for Villa.

Villa were in a different position to us. We needed two players to bring in to give us a good first XI. So keeping hold of our existing best players was important. Villa arguably needed 7 or 8 players to give them a first XI strong enough to compete. Selling Grealish allows them to bring in players for 4/5 of those positions.

Sadly we don't look as though we're going to bring in either of those 2 players we need, at least not of the calibre required, on top of which we'll probably sell at least 1 of our key players. So I can easily see us and Villa reversing positions this season. People forget how close the positions 4th to 10th were last season. We went into the last game and could have finished anywhere between 6th and 10th depending on the results. Villa finished 11th, 4 points shy of us and 10 points clear of the next team. I think Villa will take our place in the teams challenging European places and we'll be mid table with an eye on the relegation tussle.

This would be a perfectly valid complaint if it wasn't a year beset with Covid where he couldn't see his kids for a very long time. Cut him some slack. He still scored and assisted more than any mid without pens, in less time. We are better with him than without
@ForeverBlue92 has been banging this drum for weeks now.

Take no notice of the blert , he cant wait to see Iwobi or Dross in his position.
But its all good cos "ignore the talent" as he says these boys can run.

Anyway any transfer news ?

I am one of the Villa fans that wanted us to take the 100m for Grealish. As many on here correctly point out, we were too dependent on Grealish last season. He was the focus of our team and we setup to play to Grealish's strengths. With him gone we will have more freedom to play to a style of football rather than playing a style that suits Grealish. I am hoping and expecting a much more balanced team this season.

As for the players we brought in, obviously, we will not know until we see them play and see how the season unfolds. But I think we have bought quite well. Ings is a risk with regard to injury but if he is fit he will score goals. He is a clinical finisher and we haven't had one of those in a long time. I think 25m + 5m could be a bargain for him if he stays fit. He played 91 games in the last 3 years so I am hopeful. Buendia is a good player and I think will be a success in the PL. I think he is the most risk-free of the 3 big purchases. Bailey is the unknown wildcard but I think the player that excites Villa fans the most. He is lightning quick, he was clocked at 22.62mph in a league game in Germany. I know speed isn't everything but he will cause many defenders and particularly the older ones all sorts of problems. So I am happy with the business we have done but like all fans, I will have some bias towards their own purchases.

It is only one player that hasn't played in the PL. We bought Young, Buendia, Bailey and Ings. Young and Ings are PL veterans and Buendia played a full season in the PL with Norwich the season before last. During that season, in a team that was relegated he had better stats than Grealish had with Villa that season. So I expect Buendia to be up to speed with the PL quite quickly. Bailey is the only player without PL experience and he is the biggest risk but I also believe the potential for the biggest reward
Mate that first paragraph is very much "it's OK that Rom is gone we'll spread the goals around." I can understand what you're saying and respect the positive outlook but there's a good reason the team played to Grealish so much and it's that your midfield is utterly crap. Which you've done nothing to improve. And while Bailey and Buendia do give you a large chunk of what Grealish did that midfield remains a weak point for me. I expect you'll be at least as good as we will, definitely better to watch, but I still feel like you're just shy of having enough to make a run at Europe.

But considering you've sold your best player this window probably hasn't been a catastrophe so you should feel good!

Can't agree with that at all. The injuries are the reason he is at a mid table Everton. We all know we'd never have got him if he were a 90min full season player. You can't put injuries aside. We wouldn't be talking about him if they were a side issue, he'd still be at Madrid or another top club

Aguero is injury prone yet wasn't legged out of City for years and he hasn't ended up at a midtable outfit either..

Look at Brazil though mate - it was hammered by Covid at one stage yet Richarlison never left the squad when he was suspended for 3 weeks, Bernie barely featured last season and was left out of the matchday squad on a few occasions - he never left Merseyside to jet around seeing family.

And again I don't think it was massive deal in itself and Rodriguez seems a nice enough fella - but he isn't the right fit for this club. He suits a club like Chelsea who let their dressing room run the show but are good enough to still succeed.

We have a massive mentality issue at this club and primadonnas and players who want indulging and privileges dont help the managers job in trying to instill a strong work ethic.
If the management had no issue letting unavailable players go for compassionate reasons then I can only surmise Richy and Bernard never asked. I wouldn’t ask a lad who is missing his family to stick around for no other reason than some of the others did.

Also not sure what you think making him stay would have done for his commitment/work ethic. I don’t run a footy club, like, but in my experience happy employees are more productive in the long run.

Aguero is injury prone yet wasn't legged out of City for years and he hasn't ended up at a midtable outfit either..
Aguero wasn't given a new contract this year either when the injuries were at their worst. He hasn't ended up at a midtable club but he has ended up a club that can't afford to keep their star player and are looking for deals. James was a good signing for us, in what he contributed in the time he played and in raising the clubs profile. Nobody in our squad can contribute what he did. It wasn't just the injury record that got us him, it was also Carlo selling him the idea. I want him to stay, I'm guessing you don't?!

Mate that first paragraph is very much "it's OK that Rom is gone we'll spread the goals around." I can understand what you're saying and respect the positive outlook but there's a good reason the team played to Grealish so much and it's that your midfield is utterly crap. Which you've done nothing to improve. And while Bailey and Buendia do give you a large chunk of what Grealish did that midfield remains a weak point for me. I expect you'll be at least as good as we will, definitely better to watch, but I still feel like you're just shy of having enough to make a run at Europe.

But considering you've sold your best player this window probably hasn't been a catastrophe so you should feel good!

They're after a midfielder I believe

On the first bit about Rom, I think that's why Ings is a good signing for them. Takes the pressure off Watkins, in theory.

Weirdly, the Bailey one - as good as he is - seems to be the odd fit for me.

It seems they're going to play Buendia central and I think he may get crowded out there. He's better off the right is he not, or did he play central more for Norwich last season?

McNeil - who they do like too but think they've probably left it now - seems a more natural fit for the winger they need to compensate for Buendia on the other side, and would probably also let them get both Watkins and Ings in the team.

Whereas, for the same price, we really needed a player of Bailey's profile, and not McNeil's - this is given McNeil has never played right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.