Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season will very quickly fall off the rails if we don't make at least a couple of signings in January.

We've seen what happens when just two or three first team players are unavailable -- we turn into a team that could genuinely get relegated.

Thankfully, even with any future injury crisis this season, that won't be on the cards, but we can drop into our usual mid-table obscurity if we need to play a good number of games without a full squad.

We've done great to re-group and get those nine points recently to genuinely keep us in contention with the top teams, but it can and definitely will go badly wrong if we don't strengthen.

A Champions League place is there for the taking this season and surely the board sees that? The current squad will not achieve that, because:
  • Digne is out until February
  • We have two strikers and no backup and they are knackered already
  • James is injured loads
  • Allan has a bad injury
  • We get almost no goals from midfield
We won't have a full squad to pick from for a long time, and we've had our purple patch with a fit squad. So we've already proven the two extremes, which are:

a. Our fully fit squad is probably good enough to challenge top four
b. If you remove just one or two of those, our levels and points return drop significantly

The board needs to decide if they're ready to put their hands back in their pockets and make a go for a top four place.

If they're not prepared to do so then I genuinely do not see why they bothered bringing in Ancelotti and James.

Let's see what they do. We all know which areas we need to strengthen.

I'd like to see us knocking on PSG's door and asking them to return the favour by loaning us Gana for the rest of the season. They owe us one.

I'd go after Max Aarons for Godfrey-type money, and I'd be looking on the continent for a winger and a striker who is prepared to play a similar role to what Llorente played for Spurs for two seasons.

Last edited:
Funny links really. I sort of have us down to sign lads from above on loans, or very cheap youngsters from probably places like France.

I don't see bit money buys (and these would be). We know what Brands has said about January, and the potential premium.

Norwich are having a great season as well, so would be odd for them to jettison it, unless a private deal has been made with them- along the lines of- play well into January and we will let you go for x.

I'm sure Norwich would want 25m for each, similar to Godfrey. With each game that goes by Godfrey looks a better signing, and probably hows that judging them within the performance of Norwich more broadly is foolish. They were an inexperienced team with lots of talent. Put them into a better team and they can get better.

Taking each on their merits. Buendia is a terrific player. For me an upgrade on Bernard in the squad. If Bernard goes out on loan, or maybe a permanent it would make sense. Made a lot of chances last season and seems to have added goals.

Aarons is also very very quick like Godfrey. What he's got, compared to most 20 year old fullbacks is that he has lots of games under his belt. We know Ancelotti values that.36 games in the Premier league and nearly 100 in the top 2 leagues. You sense he will have ironed out a lot of the inconsistencies.

I'd be very happy if both players came.

???
??? Holgate Godfrey Digne
Doucoure ??? Allan
James DCL Richarlison

Keeper, Right back, Defensive midfielder

Beyond that we'll need another Midfielder, a Wide forward and a Centre forward (if Kean leaves).

Then the squad would seem 'complete'.

Betis are 9th, we would need to pay the fee to Barca for Emerson (who in turn pay Betis' buyout). Barca desperately need money.

We should really be doing this in January to ease him in over the rest of the season.

Season will very quickly fall off the rails if we don't make at least a couple of signings in January.

We've seen what happens when just two or three first team players are unavailable -- we turn into a team that could genuinely get relegated.

Thankfully, even with any future injury crisis this season, that won't be on the cards, but we can drop into our usual mid-table obscurity if we need to play a good number of games without a full squad.

We've done great to re-group and get those nine points recently to genuinely keep us in contention with the top teams, but it can and definitely will go badly wrong if we don't strengthen.

A Champions League place is there for the taking this season and surely the board sees that? The current squad will not achieve that, because:
  • Digne is out until February
  • We have two strikers and no backup and they are knackered already
  • James is injured loads
  • Allan has a bad injury
  • We get almost no goals from midfield
We won't have a full squad to pick from for a long time, and we've had our purple patch with a fit squad. So we've already proven the two extremes, which are:

a. Our fully fit squad is probably good enough to challenge top four
b. If you remove just one or two of those, our levels and points return drop significantly

The board needs to decide if they're ready to put their hands back in their pockets and make a go for a top four place.

If they're not prepared to do so then I genuinely do not see why they bothered bringing in Ancelotti and James.

Let's see what they do. We all know which areas we need to strengthen.
clap clap

It is absolutely vital that Brands finds buyers in this January window for a couple of the dead weights in the squad. We've just put in three strong performances against decent quality sides in a week, but the physical strain is showing and we lack quality in our substitutes - we really need to strengthen in CM and up front. If we keep pushing Doucoure and DCL to play every game they will eventually break. We simply have to clear some space on the payroll and use the funds to bring in another starting standard player (or two).

Kalvin Phillips from Leeds is the target I'd like to see us go for.
Phillips is fine but I think we really need someone who won't crap their pants when we get pressed and I'm not sure that is him

A marquee signing is not what we need. We need to start bringing in young first team players with fresh legs that can get about the pitch.
Tend to agree, incremental upgrades to parts of the first 11, lose some deadwood along the way. We are a work in progress, work with what we have and try to remain relatively competitive, keep an eye on and build towards the end goal. We cant just bumble from window to window reacting to what happened the week before. We'll have disappointments along the way and we have to accept that and put that down to the process. Just give the manager time to build, because this could take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.