2021/22 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably could turn out to be only only disagreement of Benitez so far. Seen enough of rondon to feel united will have a comfortable game. Could really bring a feel good factor if he'd play this lad and he atleast produces a performance. Heckmifnhe scored we would all be buzzing.

….not sure if you’ve watched him much. He‘s not the type to give CBs a difficult game, he’s not particularly competitive or aggressive. His link and hold up play isn’t great so anything played up to him at this level is likely to come back. It’s probably why he’s struggled to even make the bench.

He comes alive when the ball is in the box or in space behind the back four. Not sure there’d be much of that at United, we’ll be under the cosh for periods & we’ll need an out ball. It’s not really his game.

Yeah let's throw an unfit Simms on the pitch, what's the worst that can happen apart from him getting prematurely judged as not being good enough.

That's going to happen with the youth hating section of our fan base regardless

There's a group on here who are still practically praying for DCL to fail every time he takes the field

It's going to happen anyway, so you might as well get him 20 minutes when Rondon inevitably tires

….not sure if you’ve watched him much. He‘s not the type to give CBs a difficult game, he’s not particularly competitive or aggressive. His link and hold up play isn’t great so anything played up to him at this level is likely to come back. It’s probably why he’s struggled to even make the bench.

He comes alive when the ball is in the box or in space behind the back four. Not sure there’d be much of that at United, we’ll be under the cosh for periods & we’ll need an out ball. It’s not really his game.
Well judging Rondon on the last 3 games the outball is not his game either

Yeah let's throw an unfit Simms on the pitch, what's the worst that can happen apart from him getting prematurely judged as not being good enough.

He will be judged whatever happens. At least with it being his first game back and being against lower league side he should have more time on the ball. Its a bit of a nothing game as both sides will want to win but it won't matter to either if they don't. I'd like to think he's not the type to wind players up so hopefully he won't be getting kicked about. If he gets minute in tge tank it's good anything else is a bonus but his experience may well help this young team. I personally don't think he makes it here but he may have enough to do a temporary job.

It's obvious from Rafael's comments on Dobbin that hard work in training is getting recognition. So if Simms keeps working, the coaches will spot this and he will get minutes in the future.

This can only be a good thing long term.

This is pretty much how Simms is, Blackpool played with a front two last year with Yates doing a lot of the other stuff for Simms (that's not a criticism of Simms at all by the way), as Eggs says, he's a bit of an old school centre forward who isn't going to do what DCL spent his first 18 months in the team doing, or someone like what James Vaughan liked to do!
If we were to use him now id purely use him as an impact sub if we are putting pressure on a side, winning a lot of corners etc! That is were he could be used

The comparisons with DCL are a good starting point. His workrate is nowhere near the same and his heading/ aerial ability are almost non existent compared to DCL. But at the same age I’d say Simms is/was the better one-on -one finisher and gets his shots away on goal more often, the question is can he do it at a higher level. In fairness to Simms he’s also worked hard at improving his hold up play and control . I’ve always said he’s a slow burner who’s seemed continually 1 year behind the similarly aged Gordon , hopefully he can make progress with a good loan in the Championship come January .

Simms is a try something else sub. If we are chasing against United I wouldn't mind seeing him put up front with Gordon/Dobbin and he will be able to just poach. If we are just one behind seeing 2 unknown quantities coming at them could unsettle United. My personal view is he won't ever be good enough but we've had these type of strikers nick an odd goal when needed. The reason he isn't good enough in my view is he just doesn't have an all round game. As a 25th man in the squad you could make a case for keeping but he is nowhere near DCL level. Some think that's not good enough. However between now and January if he has 4-6 cameos he may get 1-3 goals which could be a great contribution and with 9 bench places available might be worth sticking on there as a person who knows where the goal is.

The comparisons with DCL are a good starting point. His workrate is nowhere near the same and his heading/ aerial ability are almost non existent compared to DCL. But at the same age I’d say Simms is/was the better one-on -one finisher and gets his shots away on goal more often, the question is can he do it at a higher level. In fairness to Simms he’s also worked hard at improving his hold up play and control . I’ve always said he’s a slow burner who’s seemed continually 1 year behind the similarly aged Gordon , hopefully he can make progress with a good loan in the Championship come January .
I know just the place ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.