Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Feeling really down, still, and it doesn't help that I've applied for jobs and got rejected from every one... ffs being foreign!

Anyway, just read this piece - http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-about-his-depression-had-complete-breakdown/ . Not overly surprised about this, to be honest, as it's always the seemingly happiest ones that really aren't at all, but Wayne is an absolute legend and this just makes me like him more...

To GB - mate, I lost a dog, our oldest dad-side-of-the-family dog, been (was :( ) around for near to 15 years. She had to be put down a month ago after developing a tumour and I was really distraught, we all were, the whole family. It is like losing a loved one, as it's a creature that is extremely happy to be around you and see you. I'm sad that I wasn't near her when she had to go, as I loved her to bits. It's always tough, sorry to hear it! Hope you get better soon mate!

You're not alone mate, they are people whom really do understand, at least to an extent, how you feel. One of my biggest problems when I feel low is it that I believe that no one around me recognises how bad I'm slipping, I feel I can't tell them because they'll just brush me off and not take what I tell them seriously. You can't explain to someone what a toothache is like if they've never had one themselves, the same goes for describing depression in my opinion. It can be so hard finding people to talk too about it, places like this thread are a wonderful thing.

If you ever feel you want to talk? :)

Feel like an actual piece of [Poor language removed]. Isn't family just the best?

My parents walked away from me the day my daughter was born, i haven't spoken to my 2 brothers or my Mum and Dad in what will be 7 years in 4 weeks time. I can attest to your seemingly dislike of ' family'.

I'll tell the whole story one day, it probably accounts for my persona tbh.

My parents walked away from me the day my daughter was born, i haven't spoken to my 2 brothers or my Mum and Dad in what will be 7 years in 4 weeks time. I can attest to your seemingly dislike of ' family'.

Wow... Sorry to hear that, Bry.
It's not that severe for me (yet?) but my dad did walk away from me and (his own words) wished to disown me, and tbf did for a few months... But that's a few years ago now, we're on better terms nowadays.

For me right now - this whole situation I have going is doing my depression absolutely no good, in fact I've been feeling extremely anxious in the last few weeks, to the point I can't even sleep, because I'm so uneasy, or if I do sleep - I wake up feeling like I'm absolutely wrecked.

I'd really just wish they would understand me and what I'm going through. Also that here =/= there and how different and difficult everything is for me here in the UK, compared to them in Bulgaria/Greece. I mean I'm a foreigner from a world away trying to find a job. Seeing as my nationality comes with a tarnished reputation - most of the places reject me based on that, I'm definitely sure of it. Other places just want experience and all that, and that's something I just don't have. Not even looking for anything specific, but the "odd job" types just seem to be looking for Brits, which I can understand - sadly, my parents don't.

Blabbing on a lot and I know this will be such a trivial/small issue for most, but it's just what's getting to me at this moment.

For me right now - this whole situation I have going is doing my depression absolutely no good, in fact I've been feeling extremely anxious in the last few weeks, to the point I can't even sleep, because I'm so uneasy, or if I do sleep - I wake up feeling like I'm absolutely wrecked.
I'm struggling with this. Like I don't even wanna attempt to go to sleep because I end up thinking about the stuff that's making me anxious, but when I do I can't.

I'm struggling with this. Like I don't even wanna attempt to go to sleep because I end up thinking about the stuff that's making me anxious, but when I do I can't.
I have pills that help me for that - valerian root tablets. Helps me quite well, and it's not a prescribed drug.

@RAFUH for side effects and stuff though, for me there are none, but there might be some for others, etc.

Wow... Sorry to hear that, Bry.
It's not that severe for me (yet?) but my dad did walk away from me and (his own words) wished to disown me, and tbf did for a few months... But that's a few years ago now, we're on better terms nowadays.

I'd really just wish they would understand me and what I'm going through. Also that here =/= there and how different and difficult everything is for me here in the UK, compared to them in Bulgaria/Greece. I mean I'm a foreigner from a world away trying to find a job. Seeing as my nationality comes with a tarnished reputation - most of the places reject me based on that, I'm definitely sure of it. Other places just want experience and all that, and that's something I just don't have. Not even looking for anything specific, but the "odd job" types just seem to be looking for Brits, which I can understand - sadly, my parents don't.

Blabbing on a lot and I know this will be such a trivial/small issue for most, but it's just what's getting to me at this moment.

Been there lads, absolutely horrendous way to feel. Try reading a book before bed, it helps settle your brain.

I have pills that help me for that - valerian root tablets. Helps me quite well, and it's not a prescribed drug.

@RAFUH for side effects and stuff though, for me there are none, but there might be some for others, etc.

Valerian root has decent sedative effects, has few side effects and none of them serious. It can interact with some prescription medications so make sure all your physicians know you take it.

It seems to work well for some people but not at all for others.

Valerian root has decent sedative effects, has few side effects and none of them serious. It can interact with some prescription medications so make sure all your physicians know you take it.

It seems to work well for some people but not at all for others.
Doesn't work at all for my gf, whereas it can cut me off for a long time...

Chins up everyone....nothing is permanent. Keep telling yourselves that. We all go through hard times. If you are in a rut, try change something...slowly.

Jesus, that's an unbelievable term of estrangement. That being said, one of my closest friends has been in a similar situation for a number of years. He doesn't talk to his father or his two brothers, although he still reaches out to his mother from time to time. Family can be like anyone else, I suppose. Sometimes people just don't get on and having the same blood doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

This probably has a lot to do with how you're feeling. Not working or having somewhere to go most days does strange things to the mind, an experience to which I can attest. Don't give up on finding something and, in the mean time, try and find a hobby or something else you like doing and challenge yourself at it. Hope you get over your anxieties soon, keep us updated!

Heart wrenching. Clearly the whole story is a personal matter that you need not share, but family is where you make it.

I can't speak from experience because my family is a tight, accepting unit. Having said that, the minute I married and started my own family, then my focus changed. In the pecking order, they are my #1 priority, but as I said, I'm lucky with my extended family.

Walking away is their issue. If you love that little girl as much as I love my 2 daughters, then thats all that matters. Let her know she can count on you by being there for her.

You'll do just fine mate. ;)