Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I would like to share a great book on anxiety for anyone who is struggling. It’s on amazon kindle or you can buy it on amazon. I suffer with anxiety and I can honestly say this book changed the way I think about anxiety and the approach which has helped enormously

Attachments

• 4027CCE2-E090-4C67-AD40-BBEB797CC907.png
    4027CCE2-E090-4C67-AD40-BBEB797CC907.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 58
One thing that struck me this year and as it’s gone on, is from personal experience, some would rather remove you from social media than say hello or how’s it going to you, particularly if you haven’t been using your account for a month or two. You could be ill or something happened know what I mean.

I’d understand if it was strangers or if you had been a bit of a bute to them , it’s people I know personally too, I try to make conversation but I barely get a response from them these days. I feel ostracised.

Even my niece and nephew, who I love dearly , no longer speak to me. Usually I try not to let things bother me like that , it really hit home over the past few days tho.

I know it`s different with family mate, but I was writing out the obligatory Christmas cards a few years back, when it dawned on me that I a lot of the people in my address book made no effort whatsoever to keep in touch with me or the family. I was always me phoning them, messaging them, emails etc. So I did little experiment and never sent cards to the people who hadn`t bothered their arse that year. just to see if they would send a card.

Bar one, non of them bothered and since then I`ve not heard from the rest of them.

I don`t think people do it deliberately, it`s just that they have their own lives and have their own stuff going on and you end up going in different directions / move on.

Plus this has been a very weird year and it`s affected different people differently - one of my best mates still hasn`t left the house for 7 mths and shows no sign of doing so.

I wouldn`t beat yourself up too much about it mate, it happens to us all.

A lot of social media is fake I find. People pretending that life is perfect so I tend to browse but not comment.
It struck me how hurtful it could be yesterday though when I was chatting to my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't have many friends and it really worries her. She recently had a "popular girl " delete her from social media because my daughter is not in the crowd at school.
Another girl from school again a " popular girl" wished her happy birthday so the another day my daughter sent her a birthday message as lots of others had. The "popular girl " opened all the messages wishing her happy birthday but not my daughter's. She has totally ignored my daughter to look cool in front of her friends.
My daughter is now on about trying to change as she is desperate to be accepted and finally enjoy school and have friends.
I wish she would realise that she is a beautiful and intelligent young girl and people should accept her and love her for who she is but it is so hard for a 15 year old with no friends and as her dad it is horrible to see her struggling.
Pet peave of mine It's absolute poison (social media) my older kids all had tears through it people unliking and unfollowing them, bullying etc. I feel so sorry for the kids these days their lives are run through it. I once had to send a fella home from work because he'd forgotten his phone it was like he'd forgotten a limb he couldn't operate without his notifications. A friend is a principal in a school he's scathing about it, he used to worry about the kids 9-3 and make sure there was no bullying but it's 24hrs a day now the bullying with the social media. Every morning he's anticipating tears from kids from online bullying and fall outs with other kids from the night before. Unfortunately it's not just kids now adults at it too.,all lying about their perfect made up lives. It's so obvious to see too that if your life was so perfect and fulfilling you wouldn't have the time or desire to be posting all day. The only thing I've ever done is this site and I wrestled about signing up but I love Everton and don't live in England and mods made me sign up or I couldn't view content anymore after many years of following - which I think mods should change - but you can even see it on here at times people trying hard to get liked by others they think are popular, but these people they're trying to be liked by are never off the site 24hrs a day. It's sad maybe I'm too old but don't understand it. Good luck with it mate,and your daughter and all those that struggle with it. I just wish people could see its not real - its pure fantasy.500 or 1000 friends/followers hahaha. I don't think I've had 20 real friends my whole life. Life's what you make of it yourself. Life's for living not dreaming... LIVE IT... LEARN FROM IT... (even if you've to keep picking yourself up) BUT NEVER EVER GIVE UP... YOU'LL OWN IT.

Not been feeling good. I'm working but the place is ran like an asylum, plus the owner is a bit of freak with his OCD and snooping.

I am desperate for a break of some kind, absolutely stuck in a rut and can't feel good about anything. People have it FAR worse and are deing with real problems I know, but thoughts of self-harm are creeping back in. So fed up my life.

You mind yourself mate. I've been there and thank God came back. We need you as an Evertonian! Btw Rovers won 4-0 last night. The home of Peter Farrell and Tommy Eglinton. Happy days! COYB!!

I know it`s different with family mate, but I was writing out the obligatory Christmas cards a few years back, when it dawned on me that I a lot of the people in my address book made no effort whatsoever to keep in touch with me or the family. I was always me phoning them, messaging them, emails etc. So I did little experiment and never sent cards to the people who hadn`t bothered their arse that year. just to see if they would send a card.

Bar one, non of them bothered and since then I`ve not heard from the rest of them.

I don`t think people do it deliberately, it`s just that they have their own lives and have their own stuff going on and you end up going in different directions / move on.

Plus this has been a very weird year and it`s affected different people differently - one of my best mates still hasn`t left the house for 7 mths and shows no sign of doing so.

I wouldn`t beat yourself up too much about it mate, it happens to us all.

Lovely post. You take care!!

Not been feeling good. I'm working but the place is ran like an asylum, plus the owner is a bit of freak with his OCD and snooping.

I am desperate for a break of some kind, absolutely stuck in a rut and can't feel good about anything. People have it FAR worse and are deing with real problems I know, but thoughts of self-harm are creeping back in. So fed up my life.
Can you book any holidays or anything just so you get a break from work and a rest? Everyone is acting different to the current situation mate. It's just a weird time.
Have you got any hobbies or sports you can get yourself back into. There must be something you enjoy.
A long walk with music clears my mind mate. I just need to drag myself out of the house.
There is always someone here to chat to.

One thing that struck me this year and as it’s gone on, is from personal experience, some would rather remove you from social media than say hello or how’s it going to you, particularly if you haven’t been using your account for a month or two. You could be ill or something happened know what I mean.

I’d understand if it was strangers or if you had been a bit of a bute to them , it’s people I know personally too, I try to make conversation but I barely get a response from them these days. I feel ostracised.

Even my niece and nephew, who I love dearly , no longer speak to me. Usually I try not to let things bother me like that , it really hit home over the past few days tho.
You are actually much better off deleting social media mate, it's a fake network, people wanting and craving love and attention. I did away with Facebook and was honestly the best thing i did. Keep the head up.

You are actually much better off deleting social media mate, it's a fake network, people wanting and craving love and attention. I did away with Facebook and was honestly the best thing i did. Keep the head up.

You’re right, however it’s like if I don’t use it then no one speaks to me outside immediate family or my work colleagues . I’m like a ghost these days (pardon the pun) and I still don’t know what I’ve done to people. To me it comes across as “I don’t want to know now you anymore” and I’m like “why? Never done you any harm “.

Having a go at them won’t help at all, i try to look inward first if you know what I mean. I don’t have kids and my last relationship was over 12 months ago, so I guess in a time like this I feel a bit lost and I can’t remember being in a situation like this before. If my parents were not here I might have seriously considered doing something, I couldn’t do that to them tho, no way.

I think what keeps going is that others have it far worse than me, it helps bring some perspective to things. Anyway, thank you for replying and the other replies also.

Up the toffees!!

I think I posted on here last week or something regarding being steered towards getting myself checked out for ADD/ADHD. Tomorrow is the day that I'm going to go and talk to the doctor... I am terrified. As I said last week, if this is indeed the case then it would explain an awful lot but there is a lot of fear there... What if he doesn't take me seriously? What if I really am just lazy and disorganised? What if I do have ADHD? That;s a lifelong path I'll be starting on and, I imagine looking back, will cause me some real trauma and regret.

I called up an old friend this week who had been posting on facebook a lot about her diagnosis and her response was "I thought you knew and just didn't talk about it"... Was overall a very positive experience and kind of reinforced my impression that there is something in this. I am, however, still terrified about what tomorrow will bring.
How did it go?

A lot of social media is fake I find. People pretending that life is perfect so I tend to browse but not comment.
It struck me how hurtful it could be yesterday though when I was chatting to my 15 year old daughter. She doesn't have many friends and it really worries her. She recently had a "popular girl " delete her from social media because my daughter is not in the crowd at school.
Another girl from school again a " popular girl" wished her happy birthday so the another day my daughter sent her a birthday message as lots of others had. The "popular girl " opened all the messages wishing her happy birthday but not my daughter's. She has totally ignored my daughter to look cool in front of her friends.
My daughter is now on about trying to change as she is desperate to be accepted and finally enjoy school and have friends.
I wish she would realise that she is a beautiful and intelligent young girl and people should accept her and love her for who she is but it is so hard for a 15 year old with no friends and as her dad it is horrible to see her struggling.
David09, your post really resonates with me. I've just spent 8 years as a psychy nurse in an inpatient CAHMS unit. There is nothing quite like a teenager - especially girls - going through a confidence crisis. I'm too fat, I'm not pretty like her, I have no boyfriend, no friends and my clothes aren't nice enough. You and I know that particular world is very very particular to teenage girls. I used to say to the kids, between the ages of 12 and 16 you'll do anything to fit in, to be like " them". From 17 onwards the girls especially will do anything to look different, in order to attract attention to them. It's a horrible time being 15, not yet an adult and too old to be a child. You can tell her she's beautiful, she'll meet a nice boy or girl and that looks don't matter, because in the real world, people struggle to live and it's hard. In her world it's different and the smallest thing means so much, that spot is massive, her boobs are too small and mum and dad " don't get it". The best thing to do m8 is to normalize it, that it happens to everyone and that she will come through it, and pretty soon she'll have bills, food and rent to pay. The " real world" Like I say m8 normalize it, reassure her you'll be there for her but re affirm it is a phase she will come through. I also mentioning she try to form like minded friends like her, because you can be sure of one thing, there will be other girls feeling exactly how she is. It's hard as parents to see our kids in mental turmoil but all we can do is tell them we love them and we'll be there for them - whatever. Good luck bud.

Just had to take one of me mates Sertralines there, anybody had experience with them? I’ve been on them for about 3 months 100mg for PTSD and very bad anxiety, I swerved them off because I didn’t think they were doing anything other than giving me nutty dreams. But just then I thought the ceiling was about to fall down on me etc which no good is it!

Just had to take one of me mates Sertralines there, anybody had experience with them? I’ve been on them for about 3 months 100mg for PTSD and very bad anxiety, I swerved them off because I didn’t think they were doing anything other than giving me nutty dreams. But just then I thought the ceiling was about to fall down on me etc which no good is it!
I'm not sure mate my wife takes something that sounds like that, she stopped them too cos she thought she didn't need them worst thing she ever done - back on them now for life. Loads on here take Sertraline they'll advice you better mate won't be long before one of them pop in. All the best mate.

I'm not sure mate my wife takes something that sounds like that, she stopped them too cos she thought she didn't need them worst thing she ever done - back on them now for life. Loads on here take Sertraline they'll advice you better mate won't be long before one of them pop in. All the best mate.
Thanks mate

Joe, Sertraline is prescribed for many things, including anxiety, stress and OCD but predominantly depression. General rule of thumb with any psychotropic medication, give them time to work - usually 4-6 weeks - and don't come off them without seeing a mental health professional first. I say to ALL the people I work with don't take any medication you feel isn't working, but like I say, see a professional first. There are plenty of other alternatives to try which your GP may offer you. Stick to max doses - 200mg for Sertraline. Your GP may titrate you down, gradually decrease the dose. There are loads of side effects but everyone is different, and people often experience different ones. Not sleeping, too much sleeping, nausia and sweats to name a few. Oddly for being a anti depressant, having more suicidal thoughts is a common one. Where once you didn't have the motivation to kill yourself, the meds increase your moods just enough to follow your plans through. Please, if you have more suicidal thoughts seek help straight away. There are lots of people who really do care. One more piece of advice and it's important. Never take anyone's meds. They may have different tolerance levels to you and your case / circumstances are totally different to theirs. See your GP m8 tell them your struggling and they WILL try to help. Good luck Joe.