Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Does anyone have any experience taking St John's Wort? Been prescribed it by my orthopaedist to help me get over a back problem whilst being under a lot of pressure at work at the minute. Bit wary about taking it as I've read there can be side effects like anxiety, sensitivity to sunlight etc. Would be interested to hear what other people's experiences of it have been?

to start i'm a hypocrite. I read this thread everyday. most days I laugh just think so many people are so stupid or selfish. life is hard but you got to fight it. I have a son who is finding life difficult, no job wife kid etc struggling with money rent food etc. thinks he has mental problems thinking bad thoughts aggression etc and I don't understand. been there done that think I know better. I understand that everyones brain reacts different that's why I keep my thoughts to myself and get on with it. being a a hypocrite im in a bad day today but don't let anyone know till now because I thought sod it drinking will ease my pain. its working lol plus everton winning has put me in a betterish mood. talking rubbish I know but that's what this thread is for and it does help me.got my next review in 2 weeks and should be ok.

to start i'm a hypocrite. I read this thread everyday. most days I laugh just think so many people are so stupid or selfish. life is hard but you got to fight it. I have a son who is finding life difficult, no job wife kid etc struggling with money rent food etc. thinks he has mental problems thinking bad thoughts aggression etc and I don't understand. been there done that think I know better. I understand that everyones brain reacts different that's why I keep my thoughts to myself and get on with it. being a a hypocrite im in a bad day today but don't let anyone know till now because I thought sod it drinking will ease my pain. its working lol plus everton winning has put me in a betterish mood. talking rubbish I know but that's what this thread is for and it does help me.got my next review in 2 weeks and should be ok.
That's not being a hypocrite mate, it's being human.

this thread is so beneficial I can talk to my counsillor face to face and get things out but I can just talk so much bull on here and that's what makes me feel normal. I know what I mean

Mate. It doesn't matter how resilient someone is. If the circumstances are right someone can succumb.

You have to understand the difference between a mental illness (like schizophrenia or similar) and a psychiatric injury (like PTSD)

There's a different reason for it in many different cases. Some can be genetic. Some environmental. Others can simply be the result of consecutive experiences.

Soldiers or similar can hardly be viewed as weak or non resilient. But depression is a symptom of PTSD.

It can happen to anyone. Sometimes it can turn into something that can affect someone for a lifetime. Its about recognising + managing the symptoms and moving to "acceptance" and in this case "reestablishing sense of purpose".

Having had ptsd and clinical depression something I manage now. I never sneer. People just need to manage as best as they can. Its tougher than others. Life. Sometimes people need help and support more times than others.

Its called being human.

Does anyone have any experience taking St John's Wort? Been prescribed it by my orthopaedist to help me get over a back problem whilst being under a lot of pressure at work at the minute. Bit wary about taking it as I've read there can be side effects like anxiety, sensitivity to sunlight etc. Would be interested to hear what other people's experiences of it have been?

This not personal experience which I know some folks prefer, but answering medication questions just like these is what I do for a living.

Any antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication has a chance at initially causing some anxiety some more so than others. It is a side effect that resolves for most people and one not everyone experiences. It can make you more sensitive to the sun and burn easier, but proper use of sunscreen will help avoid issues.

All medications even herbals have some side effects. For St Johns Wort, they are not dangerous side effects and many lessen and resolve within a few weeks. They also will stop if you stop taking it. If you are concerned talk to your doctor about how to safely stop it so you have a plan if you don't like how it makes you feel.

SJW can be quite effective although it takes some time to feel the benefits and unfortunately the only way to know is to try. But take comfort knowing you can always stop the medication and the side effects will go away and have no long lasting effects.

SJW does have a lot of interactions with other medications so if you take any others make sure your pharmacist double checks.

Evening,

For the past 6 or so months iv been feeling down alot. Iv been finding really hard of late to get on with my life. I have a good job and a really good family but i hide away all my problems.

Im the oldest of 3 children with my brother and sister both moved out and have everything going for them familys ect. I find it hard to live up to them. I lack confidence in everything and just like everything i try i fail at.

Im so negative with everything its beginning to play with my head. I cant go out without thinking something bad will happen. I feel like i have nothing going for me any more.

Iv struggle sleeping every night and end up shutting everybody out when they try to help. I have put loads of weight on in the last 6 months i cant go on like this.

Has anybody got any advice? I find it hard to speak to people so i seen this thread and thought id see if anybody could help.

Evening,

For the past 6 or so months iv been feeling down alot. Iv been finding really hard of late to get on with my life. I have a good job and a really good family but i hide away all my problems.

Im the oldest of 3 children with my brother and sister both moved out and have everything going for them familys ect. I find it hard to live up to them. I lack confidence in everything and just like everything i try i fail at.

Im so negative with everything its beginning to play with my head. I cant go out without thinking something bad will happen. I feel like i have nothing going for me any more.

Iv struggle sleeping every night and end up shutting everybody out when they try to help. I have put loads of weight on in the last 6 months i cant go on like this.

Has anybody got any advice? I find it hard to speak to people so i seen this thread and thought id see if anybody could help.

Hi mate. Must have taken some stones to write that. Fair play. I can understand the sibling thing. Similar with me, but as I am sure others in this thread will suggest, first port of call is your GP. They are ace, wont be judgemental, and will be a great help I am sure.

Stay in touch. ;)

Evening,

Go to your GP and tell them as much as you can they'll help a massive deal, if you want ask if one has more expertise in mental health, I did and it's worked wonders as my normal gp just stuck me on meds.

I've now had mine reviewed and my dose lowered and start cbt therapy on Wednesday since speaking to one who understands more than my other gp. I'm scared and anxious for it but that's part anxiety kicking in.

It took me a long time to tell people that care about me, but when you do its a massive burden off your shoulders, as soon as people know they'll help you too as well as he gp. It's a long road but just take small steps at a time and it'll get better than it is.

Thanks lads I've found it helpful reading everybody else's posts and it's helped me see I need to see help. I'm sick of putting a brave face on everything. As sad as it sounds everton is the only thing I look forward to anymore