Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Sounds easy, but you have to take one step at a time. You can't worry about how your health is going to affect you in 5, 10 or 20 years, you have to focus on the immediate future.

I don't know enough about UK employment law and your circumstances to give advice on your rights but are there people in your place of employment you can talk to?

Well I'm in the Union and we have our own occy health department, which run their own employee care programs but I'm confused as what to say and I'm very wary of letting my feelings out as i have been massively let down by a few people over the course of my depression so I don't know.

As for the worrying about the future, the Dr picked up on this and it's just my personality type, I'm an over-thinker, so naturally always thinking the worst.

Another worry is putting all this effort in to learning engineering and getting a trade may be for nought as my body won't be able to do it :(

Another worry is putting all this effort in to learning engineering and getting a trade may be for nought as my body won't be able to do it

I know it's easy for me to say as I'm thankfully healthy, but I do believe a positive mental attitude to ones own health benefits you physically . My old man had many many health problems and was told he was going to die several times in the last 20 years of his life. Eventually of course the doctor was right, but for 20 years he defied medical opinion mainly through being a stubborn but positive old bugger who refused to give in to his condition.

I don't mean that as a criticism of how you view yourself but just a contrast.

Re your OH dep. I'd still see them and explain your caution in approaching them. They are there to help you.

I know it's easy for me to say as I'm thankfully healthy, but I do believe a positive mental attitude to ones own health benefits you physically . My old man had many many health problems and was told he was going to die several times in the last 20 years of his life. Eventually of course the doctor was right, but for 20 years he defied medical opinion mainly through being a stubborn but positive old bugger who refused to give in to his condition.

I don't mean that as a criticism of how you view yourself but just a contrast.

Re your OH dep. I'd still see them and explain your caution in approaching them. They are there to help you.

Well, I'm back tomorrow, not looking forward to it but I've been stuck in my house since July so it may do me good. I'm extremely nervous about going in the morrow though, dreading it. I can only take it one step at a time and see how it goes. I do wish I could switch off from the thinking and ruminating sometimes but I can't and it drives me insane.

Appreciate that, can't see me getting much sleep tonight and I'm being put with a load of new entries so I won't know anyone, that's stressful enough without the anxiety on top.

I will plug along though, I haven't given up just yet but it's exhausting.
Good luck mate, as The Esk says you've got a whole bunch of people on here rooting for you.

Appreciate that, can't see me getting much sleep tonight and I'm being put with a load of new entries so I won't know anyone, that's stressful enough without the anxiety on top.

Good luck mate, hopefully the anxiety will subside slightly once you've got the first few minutes out the way and settled down a bit.

Let us know how you get on.

Just thinking out loud mate. Is there no one in who could support you in work through your first week ?.

I'm not taking about a chaperone, but a work colleague who, you get on with and like who could work alongside you until you've got you're confidence back ?.

In effect your actually almost starting all over again, so given the circumstances your anxiety levels are fully understandable.

I'm not an expert on " phased return to works ", but I'm pretty sure given your position / health there's a duty of care to handle it very carefully.

@big bobs beard @anjelikaferrett can you provide any info, as I know this is your thing ?.

I genuinely wish you all the best tomorrow mate and as a fellow anxiety sufferer, I know how horrendous that foreboding sense of dread can be prior to doing something that is sending your anxiety levels through the roof.

What you need to remember, is that everybody generally feels some form of anxiety after being off for, say, a holiday, the eve before they are due to return.
@The Esk is absolutely correct in advising to seek council from your OH personnel. These people are completely professional and are truly there to assist you in your rehabilitation as much as they can. And they can. They know the correct people to help you through, not just your anxieties, but the actual function and processes and pitfalls you need to overcome, and how to overcome them.
The other advice The Esk offered is the best you could receive. Clear your head (easier said than done sometimes, I fully appreciate), and make an early as possible appointment to see the OH team. Explain your feelings and concerns, and let them know of your apprehension, and leave it to them. They will do the rest.

Well I'm in the Union and we have our own occy health department, which run their own employee care programs but I'm confused as what to say and I'm very wary of letting my feelings out as i have been massively let down by a few people over the course of my depression so I don't know.

As for the worrying about the future, the Dr picked up on this and it's just my personality type, I'm an over-thinker, so naturally always thinking the worst.

Another worry is putting all this effort in to learning engineering and getting a trade may be for nought as my body won't be able to do it :(
Hiya mate. Interesting that you were told by your GP that your personality type may predispose you to dwelling on the past.
Although he/she is right, it is not inevitable that you will always have this disadvantage of thinking over past mistakes. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is aimed specifically at changing the way the sufferer sees the world. It can be done - I know as I've benefitted from exactly this type of intervention to help me come out of depression. You're not stuck with this mindset.
Nevertheless......best of luck for the future. You can do this.

PS - I know you may feel absolutely knackered all the time, but I find aerobic excersise is a wonderful way of coping with anxiety. You can almost literally " excersise " your worries away whilst you are doing it and you feel great afterwards.

Also have a look at this forum - MentalHeathforum.org

Superb, NHS run site, with wonderful online community. I can guarantee there will be someone on there on the exact same position that you are in.

Once again, all the best for tomorrow mate x

On the site. There has been the odd pratt.
Probably Kopites mate, by an large Everton fans respect Sunderland including me, I've known a lot of your fans they've been nothing but sound. There's a Sunderland fan who drinks in the pub near mine and he's a proper sound lad. When you got a 2 - 2 draw at Hades last season he was going bonkers in the pub. When I went there in 2014 when we 1 0 at your place all your fans were sound, we got lost along with a few other blues trying to find the ground and a Sunderland fan helped us out. Also your fans were sound after the final whistle.

Just thinking out loud mate. Is there no one in who could support you in work through your first week ?.

I'm not taking about a chaperone, but a work colleague who, you get on with and like who could work alongside you until you've got you're confidence back ?.

In effect your actually almost starting all over again, so given the circumstances your anxiety levels are fully understandable.

I'm not an expert on " phased return to works ", but I'm pretty sure given your position / health there's a duty of care to handle it very carefully.

@big bobs beard @anjelikaferrett can you provide any info, as I know this is your thing ?.

I genuinely wish you all the best tomorrow mate and as a fellow anxiety sufferer, I know how horrendous that foreboding sense of dread can be prior to doing something that is sending your anxiety levels through the roof.

I tried confiding in someone and he stabbed me in the back, so i'll take my chances on my own, it's hard but I'm up and ready, to go in half an hour.