David Henen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why he would want to stay here to be honest. The fella should be playing first team football at his age, not sitting in our reserves.
That's the dilemma for him and us. He's nowhere near being good enough for the first team squad , Calvert-Lewin has moved ahead of him and it's just romantic frustration to think he's even ahead of some of the older journeymen we have. So a January loan is the obvious answer, but the Championship is such a competitive division that managers are unlikely to give him many starts , so that leaves League 1 and he hardly set Fleetwood alight when he was there last year. To be honest he wouldn't figure in my best U23s team this season.

That's the dilemma for him and us. He's nowhere near being good enough for the first team squad , Calvert-Lewin has moved ahead of him and it's just romantic frustration to think he's even ahead of some of the older journeymen we have. So a January loan is the obvious answer, but the Championship is such a competitive division that managers are unlikely to give him many starts , so that leaves League 1 and he hardly set Fleetwood alight when he was there last year. To be honest he wouldn't figure in my best U23s team this season.
A real shame if what you say is true. The romatic in me wanted him to burst into the first team fold and fulfill the apparent potential he had. but if people say he isn't good enough then there you go.

A real shame if what you say is true. The romatic in me wanted him to burst into the first team fold and fulfill the apparent potential he had. but if people say he isn't good enough then there you go.
As ever mate, just my opinions and would love to be proved wrong . There are many times when these kids give me more pleasure in their performances than watching an underperforming first team, so am reluctant to critise too harshly, but reality is they won't all make it with us . We need to be a club where the likes of Henen and others are given every opportunity to develop and secure a future in the game at whatever level they can reach.

Do people never learn about the fee's? this genuinely irritates me that people assume big money = great player.. it does't.

The lad is in his LAST YEAR of his contract, and we're getting him for a relatively small fee.

Sure he MIGHT NOT make it but by all accounts he has a LOT of potential, Aderlecht produce some great players and the lad has attracted interest from some of the top clubs in europe, so much so that one of the richest clubs in the world decided to take him on loan.

Some of the comments remind me of the ones when we signed stones. I hope this lad becomes a 'fans favourite' because it'll be good to go back to us.

He might be in and around the same team on a similar (probably smaller) level than del was and it'll be better because he'll be OURS.
Looks like he didn't have a lot of potential.

I did warn you all about hyping up this lad, when will you ever learn.

File him under George Green please.

A player no-one on here has watched but have hyped up as some sort of wonder kid to try and be seen as football hipster.

You know who you are.

You think you people would learn after all the hyping up you did of George Green.

Just leave him to develop in the under 21's would be the sensible thing to do.

But, no doubt people will start doing formations for the 16/17 season with him in the team.

Get a grip, you know who you are.

yet more money wasted .

I've lost count of the number of young players that we have paid significant fees for that we let go for nothing.

I suppose our only hope is that 1 in 10 turns out to be a John Stones

yet more money wasted .

I've lost count of the number of young players that we have paid significant fees for that we let go for nothing.

This exactly

Yes, we buy a lot of youngsters from Britain, Ireland, and around Europe. Some of the money is wasted. It's exactly the same with the academy.

With the academy for every Wayne Rooney there's 50 John Paul Kissocks. When we buy a promising teenager from another club for every John Stones there are 20 David Henans.

The key is getting the best scouts to identify these players. This is difficult though as some scouts will find a gem (mostly down to luck) and will then cling to the "I discovered him" tag for life. The scout who discovered Wayne Rooney is probably the luckiest guy in the world. Anyone with half a brain could probably tell that the 7 year old dribbling around an entire opposition team and knocking it in the top bin was going to be a good player.

It is also difficult because other English clubs can offer more money than we can.

I also think we should have a strong lower league loans policy. As soon as a player becomes say 19 they should be put on loan playing 1st team football every week (if they are nowhere near our 1st team of course). Then we will be able to see how good they really are at playing competitive football (I'm think Dowell). This experience/proof that they can cut it will also be handy if we need to sell them. Selling players to lower league clubs can increase relationships. We should sell reasonably cheap, but insert the possibility of buyback clauses and high sell-on percentage fees to maximize the potential of our investments.

Chelsea are the masters of this at the moment. What they do is probably immoral (currently have 36 players out on loan). However, this lets them see which of their youth players are up to the required standard. If not they sell, often for much more than they originally paid. Of course even they get it wrong sometimes (Rom and KDB), but they still get a lot of money back on their original investment.

Ok, David Henan appears to have been a bust. But the next big player for us could easily be sitting in our youth team right now. 18 months ago how many of us had heard of Tom Davies? Probably lots of people on here actually, but I hadn't.

yet more money wasted .

It is attritional.

You only get lucky once in a while.

Martin Murray, Wayne Harrison, Warren Aspinall, Steve Simonsen, Mustafi being similiar examples of wunderkinds down the Everton years.......young players signed in a fanfare of trumpets yet destined never to make a significant breakthrough here.

(though Mustafi has since made it elsewhere)

It seems one minute you were reading about them in a "One for the future" feature in the programme and the next it was in "Where are they now" :(

Status
Not open for further replies.