2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had people tell me we need to stick with the 4 CBs because of the security it brings so that viewpoint is out there.

My feeling is if you don't think you're good enough to make CL than you shouldn't be scraping out results. Instead this season should be used to develop the system you're going to use when you do think you're good enough.
I feel like building a culture around winning is probably almost as important, if not moreso.

Building a system and consistently losing does not set us up for success in the future necessarily.

Well off the top of my head Inter Milan relied on solid fullback. Chelsea as well for among time with Ivanovic and Azpilucueta.

Football is constantly evolving. Nothing stays static. The idea attacking fullback is the only way to play, forevermore is ludicrous.

You balance out what is gained from being solid defensively against what's being lost offensively dont you?
Not always. And scoring goals, imo, is more important. I think you've got a better chance of making top four scoring 70 and conceding 50 than you do scoring 45 and conceding 30 or whatever.

Azpilicueta is for sure a useful player on the ball even if he isn't bombing on as a true attacker. Inter had Maicon?

I'm not saying we need someone who can be Digne but we do need someone who can at least support the winger a bit and be someone useful in the buildup. Godfrey is not even this and it hurts us.

Look I'm not trying to say that's the only problem either it just seems to me to be an easily correctable one. It hurts us that Sigurdsson and Doucoure are supposed to be the players moving it forward through the middle and they very rarely link up with the forwards but how do you fix that given we don't have other options? Getting a real LB in doesn't require nearly the level of adjustment and would have an impact.

I feel like building a culture around winning is probably almost as important, if not moreso.

Building a system and consistently losing does not set us up for success in the future necessarily.
Does finishing 6th really build that culture though? I agree with you but I just think you've got to actually be winning things to build it. I mean Spurs still don't really have that culture as an example.

I don't know both are important for sure so you don't really want to sacrifice one for the other so much. It's certainly hard.

And yet with some of that quality back...West Ham. We had more quality than them last season at Goodison and they still turned us over. My gripe is the lack of intent of some of our squad which given the amount of money we have spent should have been addressed by now. I've got no issues if we lose to the better side,but too often we perform as we did against Leeds.

That's all fair.

If you look at the 2 11s yesterday though, one cost around 150m the other 160m. They are not poles apart. We will win some and lose some games. There will be some games the opponents defensive shape foxes us.

To me, our attacking players weren't good enough. Sigurdsson, Bernard, Richarlinson, Calvert Lewin and Coleman (offensively). I thought a half fit James did well, and so did Gomes coming on. But the above 5 had poor games and it showed.
Getting Richarlinson back on song alongside integrating James and Digne will critical for us in easier games.

More than that. Its 4 from 4 with that back 4.
What you and Goat are failing to understand is I really don't care what the results are, we need to play better.

Now you seem to think playing super defensive and trying to nick a bunch of 1-0s is a good way forward and I just disagree on that, I think it'll come back to bite us rather quickly, but if you're taking that view because you actually think these performances are good enough lately that's fair enough.

That's all fair.

If you look at the 2 11s yesterday though, one cost around 150m the other 160m. They are not poles apart. We will win some and lose some games. There will be some games the opponents defensive shape foxes us.

To me, our attacking players weren't good enough. Sigurdsson, Bernard, Richarlinson, Calvert Lewin and Coleman (offensively). I thought a half fit James did well, and so did Gomes coming on. But the above 5 had poor games and it showed.
Getting Richarlinson back on song alongside integrating James and Digne will critical for us in easier games.
Since the late 90s a younger fitter dynamic playmaker has been the missing piece of the jigsaw. The Dogs of War got us so far but a player to consistently unlock a defence...

I dont watch Everton to be entertained, I watch them to see them win.

Give me 1-0s every week with 1 shot on target and I will die a happy man.

I watch films, tv shows and gaming streams for entertainment.
I'm not talking about entertainment.

1-0 every week with 1 shot on target is not realistic and that's what I mean. You have to do more than that.

You really, really dont.

They don't give points for entertainment.

Do they have style points in the MLS?
I really do. It just so happens that good football and entertaining football tend to overlap to a degree because teams that play good football create chances and score goals.

And the PL has style points. It's a thing called goal difference.

Not always. And scoring goals, imo, is more important. I think you've got a better chance of making top four scoring 70 and conceding 50 than you do scoring 45 and conceding 30 or whatever.

Azpilicueta is for sure a useful player on the ball even if he isn't bombing on as a true attacker. Inter had Maicon?

I'm not saying we need someone who can be Digne but we do need someone who can at least support the winger a bit and be someone useful in the buildup. Godfrey is not even this and it hurts us.

Look I'm not trying to say that's the only problem either it just seems to me to be an easily correctable one. It hurts us that Sigurdsson and Doucoure are supposed to be the players moving it forward through the middle and they very rarely link up with the forwards but how do you fix that given we don't have other options? Getting a real LB in doesn't require nearly the level of adjustment and would have an impact.

I dont understand your thinking at all. If we lose more defensively than we gain offensively youd still make the change? That is just dogma and stupidity.

I actually think Godfrey and Holgate offer a bit offensively. Godfrey carries the ball very well. I'd live to see his progressive carry stats compared to other full backs. He wont be the best but I'd imagine he will be quite solid.

We need to add more offensively. At present there are better ways to do it than weakening the defensive stability. Iwobi and James returning will help, as will Gomes potential return to form. We also need Richarlinson to click into gear. If the above can happen, while only conceding say 0.5-0.7 goals per game, we are really in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.