Brendan Galloway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finding a decent, PL ready CB in the transfer market is hard enough in the summer let alone January ( £12m/100k for Samba really?) so I'm not surprised that we won't be in for one, but it's good to know the young players are ready to do a job if needed and we won't be seeing daft things like hibbert playing central defence.
Samba only went for that price becuase QPR were desperate and they knew they were making their money back on him only to see him return again at the end of it.

but i agree your point, if you want a centre half who is solid at this level you need to pay money for him. Shawcross for example would fetch more than you think at this level and i cant think of any proven centre half who would be sold at a single figure.

I like Nastasic and really rate Curtis Davies, but Dawson at West Brom has impressed me, he would not cost too much.

wouldn't it be brilliant in the new year if we have a Stones/Galloway partnership start in a premiership match ?,if only for one game at Goodison Park. school of science or what !.

Been impressed with Callum Clarke of AV everytime I've seen him play ( admittedly mostly on tv,) thought he had a good game at Goodison the other week, and last night thought he was outstanding. IMO well with a punt.

I want Galloway to be a top player as much as anybody but we really have no idea how far he is from first team football. He may not be anywhere near yet.
People should have learned by now that Roberto Martinez is the most positive of managers. He always speaks in glowing terms about his players ,but doesn't always follow that praise with first team football. When describing his players how often does he use the word "incredible","fantastic" or "amazing".
Galloway looks to be a prospect, but that is a long way off being a premiership footballer. John Stones had a lot of first team football under his belt when he signed for Everton and still had to wait twelve months before getting into the first team.
I think a centreback pairing is always better for having one old more experienced player there , such as Jagielka or even Alcaraz or Distin.
A couple of poor performances can quickly erode the confidence of younger players and can hinder their longer term development.

Finding a decent, PL ready CB in the transfer market is hard enough in the summer let alone January ( £12m/100k for Samba really?) so I'm not surprised that we won't be in for one, but it's good to know the young players are ready to do a job if needed and we won't be seeing daft things like hibbert playing central defence.
centre backs will be on top of most of the biggest sides in Europe during the next window. Keeping hold of stones will be our most important bit of business in January. Trying to get a quality centre half in during January will be impossible and Martinez knows this, hence his quote this morning about our young defenders.

centre backs will be on top of most of the biggest sides in Europe during the next window. Keeping hold of stones will be our most important bit of business in January. Trying to get a quality centre half in during January will be impossible and Martinez knows this, hence his quote this morning about our young defenders.

....not sure it's true that 'getting a top quality CB in January will be impossible'. Indeed that goes for any position. Talking to a red in the pub a while ago I challenged the fact that Lovren cost £20m, he said that's the going rate but it's not. Top quality is not necessarily somebody we're aware of or somebody who costs a significant amount. Stones cost £3m, there are nuggets out there and the very best managers can unearth them.

....not sure it's true that 'getting a top quality CB in January will be impossible'. Indeed that goes for any position. Talking to a red in the pub a while ago I challenged the fact that Lovren cost £20m, he said that's the going rate but it's not. Top quality is not necessarily somebody we're aware of or somebody who costs a significant amount. Stones cost £3m, there are nuggets out there and the very best managers can unearth them.
Agreed Eggs their are some diamonds out there if the clubs scouting networks are A1. Teams I know of needing defenders this jan are man u (3) arsenal (1) spurs (1) barca have trouble with Gerard Pique and inter need (1), none of these clubs will take a chance on a rough diamond ,they want the finished article which are very short in supply due to clubs injury list's. I think the scouting Moyes and his dad did for this club was amazing, something that is overlooked sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.