Best Everton Right/Left Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the 2-0 win Sandy Brown had a thunderous shot, and boy could he mix it hard as nails you are right it was 3-0 he was labelled with that own goal for ever it was a cracking diving header into his own net - Sorry to hear he was not Very well - a true blue was Sandy Brown - he loved playing Leeds UNT - mixing it with their tactic sent off in that famous Goodison game were both teams were taken of the pitch as it turned into a dirty game!

I was at that game sitting in upper gwladys, can still see it it in my minds eye. A terrible dirty tackle by Bell on Shirley. Can still hear in my mind the shouting "we wanna a ref"

I was at the 2-0 win Sandy Brown had a thunderous shot, and boy could he mix it hard as nails you are right it was 3-0 he was labelled with that own goal for ever it was a cracking diving header into his own net - Sorry to hear he was not Very well - a true blue was Sandy Brown - he loved playing Leeds UNT - mixing it with their tactic sent off in that famous Goodison game were both teams were taken of the pitch as it turned into a dirty game!

Ha didn't realise he had been sent off in that game. As a young lad I learned a lot about being a blue by the way the fans reacted to him after that OG. Got massive applause at next home game. Once a blue.....!

......I'm clearly a lot older and was fortunate to watch a lot of Ray Wilson and he was truly special, but I think Pat VH was unfortunate to have the psycho tab because it masks and absolutely classy player. Truly underrated. I think he played centre back for most of the '87 campaign and even got the winner at Norwich. Not Ray Wilson or probably Leighton Baines. but still a very, very good player.

Good shout about VDH. Which brings me to Paul Power!! Unbelievable season at left back and occasionally left mid iirc in the 86-87 season when Psycho stood in at CB. think we shuffled about 23 players that season.
Tommy Wright was an excellent RB so I would just give him the vote over Stevens (who went to Rangers any way grrr!). Although my abiding memory of him was a ferocious on the pitch rollicking he got from Bally over a misplaced pass! Good defender and decent going forward too. For what it's worth he is not there yet But IF Coleman keeps up his rate of development he could be right up there with these names. He is on an unbelievable learning curve that lad.

Since some of you have mentioned the hard side of the full back role I suppose we should remember Mike Pejic.

he was England's LB when we bought him from Stoke but he had a boxers nose and a real tight perm!

......I'm clearly a lot older and was fortunate to watch a lot of Ray Wilson and he was truly special, but I think Pat VH was unfortunate to have the psycho tab because it masks and absolutely classy player. Truly underrated. I think he played centre back for most of the '87 campaign and even got the winner at Norwich. Not Ray Wilson or probably Leighton Baines. but still a very, very good player.

Psycho Pat for me too at left back. That Norwich games was my first Everton match...loved Pat VDH from that day onwards. Made all the more sweeter as my Dad and brother are both Norwich fans.

Keith Newton was a high transfer England international signed as full back for us in the early 1970's - never liked him he was an expensive waste of time, he was past his best when he signed for us I think from Blackburn?

Ian Snodin was changed from a midfielder to right back awith considerable success......he was on the verge of an England cap when he picked up a serious injury from which he never really recovered.

Keith Newton was a high transfer England international signed as full back for us in the early 1970's - never liked him he was an expensive waste of time, he was past his best when he signed for us I think from Blackburn?

I think he came towards end of the season we won league in 1970 because he is pictured in start of next season team photo. we got Henry Newton too. There must have been someone called Newton who would be the business but these two lads, good players, but a bit underwhelming as you say.

Ian Snodin was changed from a midfielder to right back awith considerable success......he was on the verge of an England cap when he picked up a serious injury from which he never really recovered.

Massive disappointment for the lad, especially as he had very publicly chosen us over that shower from across the park. Was showing brilliant form then all ended just like that.

I remember Ratcliffe'sdebut at Lb and him getting sent off for nutting someone( think it was a cup tie)

He had pace and could tackle but he had a spoon for a foot and his distribution was nowhere near as good as Baines.

I reckon It was Tommy Hutchinson that Ratcliffe sorted out! v Man City in a cup game at Goodison!

Last edited:
Sunderland away was his fault. The own goals vs qpr and liverpool. Cisse at newcastle.

There was a few more but it's been a while.

Mistakes per minutes he's probably ahead of all of them but he played every game and he got caught out a fair few times.

Still our best player, mind.

Don't agree with any of that to be hones mate apart from Sunderland away. The own goals were just bad luck and not mistakes. At Newcastle he had every right to play Cisse offside, it was not his fault Heitinga clattered into Distin and the ball travelled through. I was always taught to play my man offside if you are last man and there big striker is going for a flick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.