Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToffeeTownMilto

Player Valuation: £8m
How do we see these three being "deployed" this season?

Will it be a case of Baines and Garbutt rotating, and Oviedo being played further up the field?

Even with the League, Europa League, FA and League Cups, are three left backs a bit much?

Plus I think I read somewhere that Garbutt only has a year left on his contract. Surely Bobby will be looking to get that sorted soonish....

Baines will be our main left back and play most games
Martinez will be careful with Oviedo and he may get 10 mins at the end of the game to rest Baines
Garbutt might get some game time in the league cup

Bobby has mentioned playing Bainesy in a holding role, perhaps to accommodate the three of them, but I expect them to interchange with one another at left back during busy periods and perhaps to see Oviedo used further forwards when he returns.

Garbutt will get very little game time when the other two are fit. If Oviedo process his fitness before the close of the window we might be lucky enough to get garbutt out on loan. If not, injury gods permitting, he'll be able to go out in January and get a great deal of experience and game time not at our expense.

He'll probably sign a new deal too.

It's great that we've got a good young prospect to fill baines boots over day but I don't think we should be pressing to see him in the first team any time soon.

Baines will be played as a number 10 at the tip of a diamond in the hole where he can pull the strings and underlap or overlap til his heart's content

Oviedo will be played as a wing forward and Garbutt will play as the left sided wing back but will interchange with McCarthy

Baines in the league with Garbutt in the cups up to Xmas I think. Gonna take Oviedo a while to get at the required level. After that god knows. Maybe Oviedo at left mid & a bit of Baines in the middle to give Garbutt some game time.

The lad is in the last year of his contract & will need to be playing if he's gonna sign a new deal.

Trying to fit 3 very good players at left back is gonna be very difficult to juggle even being in 3/4 competitions

There'll be alot of rotation through out the season, and its just up to whoever players to play well enough to keep there place, baines at the minute is first choice but hes not untouchable and its up to either oviedo or garbutt to challenge when there given there chance.

It's a shame Oviedo is out until September as we could have sent Garbutt on loan to a lower half Premier League team. Much better he plays games rather than warm the bench.

garbutt will be baines understudy in the lesser games or when hes injured/tired.
oviedo will be pienaars understudy and will be a bench player to be used as a sub anywhere on the left.

Speaking to the press after the game Martinez has said that Garbutt will be fighting for a first team spot and he's one of the players who's most impressed during preseason.

Garbutt has been really impressive in both of the games so far.

I'd like to see him in the odd League Cup game at the start of the season, but I wouldn't complain at all if we loaned him out to a Championship (or even Premier League side). Somehwere where he'd get game time.

I imagine that, if RM wants Baines as a midfielder, then he'll start to switch to that next season (Baines will be 30, and will be ideal for the Barry role)

A year of first-team football would do Garbutt the world of good.

garbutt will be baines understudy in the lesser games or when hes injured/tired.
oviedo will be pienaars understudy and will be a bench player to be used as a sub anywhere on the left.

Oviedo is a better full-back than he is as a winger though. Oviedo will be 2nd choice left-back, with Garbutt providing the back-up for games where we have a few injuries. A great problem to have!!

Status
Not open for further replies.