2023/24 Andre Gomes

Despite him having the turning circle of a large cruise ship, he was the only one who looked remotely comfortable on the ball in the middle of the park. Doesn't help we collectively have no idea how to pass and move so nobody ever gives options.

His first 25 mins yesterday mind were among the worst I can remember. Embarrassing set pieces.
Worst I remember was the end of the season Lampard Palace game

Why are we even discussing this?

Unless he’s willing to take a contract on £25-30k a week then he needs to be waved off at JLAirport and we take the £120k a week we save and add it to the Dele £100k a week saved, get Ross & brownhill or whatever his name is (or some other midfielder on a free) and save £100k+ a week.

I sound like Zat…

He looked shattered after 20 minutes yesterday.

Shame it has not worked out, a nice technical player, but way too slow for the PL.

Gets caught in possession, gives away stupid fouls, and never looks like he can complete 90 minutes.

Think he could finish his career in the MSL?

100% we need to vary the threat, we are far to telegraphed, we need a playmaker - even if someone like Barkley.

As for Gomes we simply cant afford him he costs us about 11 mill a year.

….agree. I’m sure Dyche would prefer access to better quality footballers who are comfortable in possession and conventional wide players who offer genuine attacking threat.

Unless he’s willing to take a contract on £25-30k a week then he needs to be waved off at JLAirport and we take the £120k a week we save and add it to the Dele £100k a week saved, get Ross & brownhill or whatever his name is (or some other midfielder on a free) and save £100k+ a week.

I sound like Zat…

Release all of them: Young, Ali, Gomes, Coleman and Lonergan. Could worth like £400k per week saved for our wage bill.

Should only hand extension to Gana.

Release all of them: Young, Ali, Gomes, Coleman and Lonergan. Could worth like £400k per week saved for our wage bill.

Should only hand extension to Gana.

…makes sense, add Harrison to that list but then the issue is replacing them.

My understanding is we need to clear off a significant deficiency (£90m) in our books by end of June so we can’t afford to bring any players in by then but need to generate significant sales as soon as the window opens (Branthwaite and Onana perhaps). No idea when we start paying for Beto/Chermiti.

We can’t be in a rolling points deduction cycle.

Last edited:

My understanding is we need to clear off a significant deficiency (£90m) in our books by end of June so we can’t afford to bring any players in by then but need to generate significant sales as soon as the window opens (Branthwaite and Onana perhaps). No idea when we start paying for Beto/Chermiti.

Astonishing figure. I hope we can keep Branthwaite. I won’t be surprised if our recruitments are freebies like Barkley and Brownhill…

From a profit and sustainability point of view, we are already paying for Beto and Chermiti, doesn't matter when clubs actually get paid - that's cashflow - but both transfer fees would have been charged to this years 23/24 profit and loss if that makes sense. I.e. we are already paying for them on the books.

Most years we make, 90 -120 mill loss organically. So we will defo have a hole to fill, whether that needs to more to meet PSR because we have been 19 mill shy and 16.5 mill based on both charges and whether that needs to be made to avoid a third charge or not is another question.

In short we're broke, next year could be one of our hardest.

Astonishing figure. I hope we can keep Branthwaite. I won’t be surprised if our recruitments are freebies like Barkley and Brownhill…

….is Barkley’s contract up this summer? If so, I’d imagine he’d be in demand. I’d never thought I’d say it as I’ve never been a fan (even when he was a youth player) but he looks terrific this season.

I sound like Zat…

Young, Coleman, Gomes, dele, doucs and fans all go and would save us $450k a week in wages

Sell Onanna …

Get Barkley and like you say … try and find some other bosman or cheap players that can actually pass a football

Worst I remember was the end of the season Lampard Palace game
He looks up. Sees Doucoure just standing still and Harrison and McNeil hiding. (Albeit McNeil played better in the second half).
All he's got on is to spread wide to fullbacks twenty yards behind him or back to the CB's. Or hit into the channels and hope DCL wins it.
I agree his set pieces were poor