2023/24 Andre Gomes

Not really, Gomes had quite a lot of good games before he got knackered. Has looked half the player since.

But it's okay cuz Son cried.
No he did not. He got a lot of puzzling and unwarranted praise by pundits for being ‘classy’ or a ‘silky footballer’ but he never really contributed anything to the team. It always drove me mad hearing people praise his footballing ability ignoring the fact he added nothing in any aspect of team performance. Only ever scored 1 goal in the Premier League, managed about 1 assist a season so not really adding much in attack and he is certainly not a tough tackling DM. So what did he offer?

No he did not. He got a lot of puzzling and unwarranted praise by pundits for being ‘classy’ or a ‘silky footballer’ but he never really contributed anything to the team. It always drove me mad hearing people praise his footballing ability ignoring the fact he added nothing in any aspect of team performance. Only ever scored 1 goal in the Premier League, managed about 1 assist a season so not really adding much in attack and he is certainly not a tough tackling DM. So what did he offer?
Ball retention and forward passing, in reality. And maybe he got praised cuz he had some pretty good games, despite not scoring or directly assisting.

We don't need to write him out of existence because of his current lack of playtime - he came in and did quite well, well enough that no one batted an eyelid when we signed him permanently and no one complained for a year and a bit, coincidentally when he broke his leg. Is he past it now though? Yeah, for sure.

We currently have another player who's great with the ball in his feet and constantly looks for the ball and a forward pass - James Garner. 2G 2A in 35 games as we're only looking at black-and-white stats, so he must be absolutely atrocious and offers nothing, using the same logic.

Ball retention and forward passing, in reality. And maybe he got praised cuz he had some pretty good games, despite not scoring or directly assisting.

We don't need to write him out of existence because of his current lack of playtime - he came in and did quite well, well enough that no one batted an eyelid when we signed him permanently and no one complained for a year and a bit, coincidentally when he broke his leg. Is he past it now though? Yeah, for sure.

We currently have another player who's great with the ball in his feet and constantly looks for the ball and a forward pass - James Garner. 2G 2A in 35 games as we're only looking at black-and-white stats, so he must be absolutely atrocious and offers nothing, using the same logic.
Don’t forget mate, Gomes is also sexy af

I did! He was at his best when on loan as soon as he signed permanently his game dropped right off. My main point is that he was not great before the injury, so to say the injury finished him is not entirely true.

I did! He was at his best when on loan as soon as he signed permanently his game dropped right off. My main point is that he was not great before the injury, so to say the injury finished him is not entirely true.
He was good and had great games, was largely crap after his injury, even then he had a few good moments. Soz you have a bit of the davek about Andre Gomes bizarrely.

Dunno. Had a handful of decent games pre injury imo. Certainly fitted recruitment policy of over paying for average players at the time. Went missing a lot. Hopefully he can add something until the end of the season but can't say I'm excited by his return

looking forward to having him as another option for the rest of the season hopefully, and equally looking forward to him no longer draining us of £100k+ a week once it’s over!