Andi Thomas at F365 on Moyes and the Everton spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

when i score we riot

Player Valuation: £35m
Read a pretty nice article by Andi Thomas, a writer i find to be pretty damn good and often quite funny and good-natured. He's had pieces on football365 during this fall and today they published one on Everton and "[the club's] faintly noble air", quite a funny and agreeable read.

You'll find it here if you can't bother looking

And here is the full article:

David Moyes: Not An Asshat By Nature Or Necessity?

Most people in football are largely despicable. David Moyes and the majority of his Everton side appear to buck this trend. Is it simply because the Toffees are skint?

On Monday night, Huddersfield forward James Vaughan flipped Blackpool goalkeeper Matthew Gilks into the air with a late, flying tackle. After acquiescing to gravity's insistence that he thump into the ground and lie there for a moment, Gilks stood back up and gestured to the referee; so far, so normal. However, because his gesture was a 'no worries, ref, no harm done', rather than 'send him off now, ref, I think he's ruptured my spleen', he was praised to the skies by Sky's commentators. Where the ordinarily decent has become the remarkable, it's time to turn the whole thing off and find something else to do.

For football, particularly top-flight football, is a shabby business, and the people involved - players, managers, owners, administrators - are largely despicable, in one way or another. Some are violent, others arrogant, others hypocritical, others vindictive. Some are probably corrupt, others simply dishonest, while plenty simply care about nothing but number one. Those in the suits lie to those in the stands, and those in the boots lie to those with the whistles. It's a mess.

This is why it's always dangerous to warm to somebody that doesn't initially appear to be a shuddering plantpot. Disappointment is almost inevitable. Take Danny Welbeck: before this season he was an entertaining, promising and occasionally brilliant forward with cracking hair and a fun celebration. Now he's just another diving goon (though the hair's still good). Football, in all its venal footballness, will get to them in the end. Everybody will let you down.
Well, almost everybody. David Moyes is alright.

To pre-empt a series of spluttering 'but what about the time he said this/did that/set fire to the other', the point is not that Moyes is a paragon of human virtue. The point is that he seems fundamentally decent, like the kind of a man who'd happily offer you a lift even if it was a bit out of his way, but wouldn't take advantage of a captive presence in the passenger seat to explain just how the country's gone to the dogs, share a wonderful investment opportunity requiring only a modest initial outlay, or outline the one true path by which a damned and mucky soul can be cleansed, saved and returned to Jesus.

It reflects in his team. Run down Everton's squad and there's a surprising (and refreshing) lack of douchery. Leon Osman is the Iniesta of the North, Leighton Baines is a Shropshire building society, Darron Gibson is David Gedge, and Tony Hibbert is Tony Hibbert. Phil Neville's greatest crimes amount to nothing more than an unwise tackle against Romania and having a sock-sucker of a brother. Then there's Marouane Fellaini, the scourge of Manchester United, who's taken it upon himself to resurrect the treasured English footballing tradition of being big, strong and having a comedy perm. Moyes has even got Duncan Ferguson helping with Everton's academy, which is both endearingly optimistic and mildly terrifying.

Sadly, though, as with everything these days, it comes down to money. Everton are skint. This enduring skintness means they have no choice but to operate in what is, more or less, the right way: sensible wages, intelligent purchases, a strong focus on the youth system. That, in turn, reflects well on their manager, who also gets plenty of credit for his loyalty and for playing decent football within such constraints. But there's the rub: his job's a hard one, one of the hardest in the league, and so there's precious little time or opportunity for bluster or knobbishness. Is he actually sound, or has he just got nothing to gain from being a pillock?

Perhaps if Everton were to strike oil under the Gwladys Street stand, or Moyes were to jump to a richer club, then he'd start muttering about conspiracies, whining about his opponents, and offering smaller teams' youth players hugely inflated salaries. Maybe we'd have to watch another acceptable human grasp the opportunity to de-decent themselves. But for the moment Everton's eminent sensibleness, when set against amongst the clamour, chicanery and [Poor language removed]-swinging of the rest of the Premier League, gives them and their manager a faintly noble air. Not being an asshat may not be much, but unless we're all going to start watching korfball, it'll have to do.

The real message here is football is infested with limited individuals fully aware that being an EPL manager is instant millionaire territory, most of them wouldn't get a job stacking shelves in the real world.

The gamble of "going for it" risks the loss of their place at the trough, the herd of David O'learys, John Gregorys, Alan Curbishleys, Sven Goran Ericksons etc begging to be let back in is warning enough.

There is no better example than the present incumbent at Goodison, keep your nose clean, avoid getting in the news, manage expectation and you're ahead of the game.

I know plenty of people who are "good eggs" never used to be the pre-requisite for managing Everton though.

If he was that limited we would be getting battered out of the league every year.
You can't just play safe and then finish fighting for Europe or every promoted team would do it and every team that finishes so regularly beneath us would do it.
Entertaining but blatantly biased read.

Moyes has even got Duncan Ferguson helping with Everton's academy, which is both endearingly optimistic and mildly terrifying.

That's world class that! Really good article - but he's apparently unaware that Moyes is universally hated by pretty much anyone and everyone who is around him for more than 10 minutes.

As for the overall point, if we ever were successful again we'd attract a few crap fans but I honestly believe that as a club we'd never become as deluded as the Kopites or as self-entitled as City fans.

If he was that limited we would be getting battered out of the league every year.
You can't just play safe and then finish fighting for Europe or every promoted team would do it and every team that finishes so regularly beneath us would do it.
Entertaining but blatantly biased read.

Moyes started off with a team that managers of promoted clubs would crawl over hot coals for:

Simonsen; Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone; Gemmill, Gravesen, Carsley, Unsworth, Ferguson, Radzinski

Add in the "golden goose" Rooney waiting in the wings and it wasn't the pan of sh1te people would have you believe, he's stabilised us in the top half but frankly it's a mimimum return for over 10 years.

That's world class that! Really good article - but he's apparently unaware that Moyes is universally hated by pretty much anyone and everyone who is around him for more than 10 minutes.

As for the overall point, if we ever were successful again we'd attract a few crap fans but I honestly believe that as a club we'd never become as deluded as the Kopites or as self-entitled as City fans.

Really?

Show me a single shred of evidence of this being true, just 1 single piece.

Oh I would. I'm quite looking forward to that part. I am thinking of starting early actually. THIS YEAR IS OUR YEAR!

The real message here is football is infested with limited individuals fully aware that being an EPL manager is instant millionaire territory, most of them wouldn't get a job stacking shelves in the real world. The gamble of "going for it" risks the loss of their place at the trough, the herd of David O'learys, John Gregorys, Alan Curbishleys, Sven Goran Ericksons etc begging to be let back in is warning enough. There is no better example than the present incumbent at Goodison, keep your nose clean, avoid getting in the news, manage expectation and you're ahead of the game.
The average lifespan of a manager in football is 1.4 years. That is the shortest time it has ever been in history. If managers are truly only concerned with "managing expectations" etc then the facts would suggest that:

a) They are utterly horrible at managing expectations etc.

b) Managing expectations etc has the exact opposite impact of what they expect.

c) You are talking bollocks to fit some kind of agenda. (No offence ... we all do it every now and again.)

Moyes started off with a team that managers of promoted clubs would crawl over hot coals for:

Simonsen; Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Pistone; Gemmill, Gravesen, Carsley, Unsworth, Ferguson, Radzinski

Add in the "golden goose" Rooney waiting in the wings and it wasn't the pan of sh1te people would have you believe, he's stabilised us in the top half but frankly it's a mimimum return for over 10 years.

Looking at that team makes you realise what a hole we were in when Moyes joined us. Most players in their 30s, with little or no resale value, and staring relegation in the face.

As for this quote: Really good article - but he's apparently unaware that Moyes is universally hated by pretty much anyone and everyone who is around him for more than 10 minutes - is that supposed to be funny?

Looking at that team makes you realise what a hole we were in when Moyes joined us. Most players in their 30s, with little or no resale value, and staring relegation in the face.

As for this quote: Really good article - but he's apparently unaware that Moyes is universally hated by pretty much anyone and everyone who is around him for more than 10 minutes - is that supposed to be funny?

Really?

Show me a single shred of evidence of this being true, just 1 single piece.

No evidence, just hearsay from quite a few people. Massively respected as a manager, but he's apparently a complete nightmare to get along with.

Might be true or nonsense; I did phrase that sentence more definitively than I had meant to!

Which ones of Howard, Baines, Jags, Distin, Hibbert, Pienaar, Gibson, Fellaini, Mirallas, Naismith and Jelavic wouldn't get in that squad realistically?

No evidence, just hearsay from quite a few people. Massively respected as a manager, but he's apparently a complete nightmare to get along with.

Might be true or nonsense; I did phrase that sentence more definitively than I had meant to!

I had him round for tea once and he didn't use a coaster the ginger [Poor language removed].

Status
Not open for further replies.