2023/24 Amadou Onana

Always looks like he plays within himself and could give a lot more.

Yeah he would look better in a better team but he's hardly a world beater

I think its obvious that the full backs are under instructions to position themselves almost like (outside) centre backs. Weve seen this all season.

I believe the central midfielders are also given instructions which is nullifying their talent when it comes to both Onana & Garner.

Having said that, even if both were 10/10 every game....theres nothing in front of them to 'partner' with.

Replace Doucoure with someone better on the ball and we may see some triangles in midfield for starters.

I think its obvious that the full backs are under instructions to position themselves almost like (outside) centre backs. Weve seen this all season.

I believe the central midfielders are also given instructions which is nullifying their talent when it comes to both Onana & Garner.

Having said that, even if both were 10/10 every game....theres nothing in front of them to 'partner' with.

Replace Doucoure with someone better on the ball and we may see some triangles in midfield for starters.
Zat I would absolutely agree with you that it must be very difficult for a central midfielder to play in a Dyche team as there is so little movement from the rest of the team.

Despite that I just don't get the hype.

Zat I would absolutely agree with you that it must be very difficult for a central midfielder to play in a Dyche team as there is so little movement from the rest of the team.

Despite that I just don't get the hype.

The numbers tell their own story and I believe that if he was charging around the pitch as an 'all action' midfielder...(but with the same stats) he'd be loved by all.

If we were able to keep him (and Branthwaite) and receive a cash injection from new owners (incl a transfer budget) then id have him sitting as an anchor with 2 ball playing midfielders ahead of him.

Then i think we'd see what he really is...

People make a lot of assumptions based off hi body language
I think it’s like when Fellaini came to us
He’s tall and awkward looking, he doesn’t sprint and he looks pissed off and like he expects more from the players around him at times. Onana is also abysmal at shooting which gets people on his back too

Fellaini only really won fans over when he started scoring goals, even though he was always brilliant at winning back possession and playing forward passes or simple passes when the right ball wasn’t on.

At the moment, Onana is great at winning the ball back and keeping us in possession which he does by positioning and not needing to race around the pitch because he’s already in the right place and I think the rest of his game will continue to improve too

At the moment, Onana is great at winning the ball back and keeping us in possession which he does by positioning and not needing to race around the pitch because he’s already in the right place and I think the rest of his game will continue to improve too
Here’s my issue with the perception of Onana. The below post was used to highlight that he was MoM material the other night. He was good, kept the ball moving across the pitch, mainly backwards and sideways, hence the pass completion %. I’d rather him give the ball away more trying to penetrate; he definitely can beautifully weight throwing balls.

But sorry, a non-scoring colossal “destined for the top” CM cannot be lauded for winning 2 out of 3 attempted tackles. Newcastles most talented CM won 6 tackles. He simply can do much more. At home in particular, should have those 3 attempted tackles in the first 3 minutes to set the tone. When Everton start slowly with no bite, for decades, we’ve always found it hard to claw back into games.

Here’s my issue with the perception of Onana. The below post was used to highlight that he was MoM material the other night. He was good, kept the ball moving across the pitch, mainly backwards and sideways, hence the pass completion %. I’d rather him give the ball away more trying to penetrate; he definitely can beautifully weight throwing balls.

But sorry, a non-scoring colossal “destined for the top” CM cannot be lauded for winning 2 out of 3 attempted tackles. Newcastles most talented CM won 6 tackles. He simply can do much more. At home in particular, should have those 3 attempted tackles in the first 3 minutes to set the tone. When Everton start slowly with no bite, for decades, we’ve always found it hard to claw back into games.

We don't play football, everyone looks like crap. Our midfield play is atrocious and has been from day 1 of this season - we just don't know what to do with the ball.

At home in particular we play even less football and hoof even more, everyone looks even worse and every midfield so far has outpassed and outclassed our static style of play.

A heat map of the midfield trios:
1712228551446.png

Ours just sit and wait, theirs were all over the pitch, winning the ball back and actually playing football for a long while.

FWIW Gana is the ball winner in this setup and he also had 6.

I don't know how anyone can slate the midfielders the way we play. We do not use them as footballers, the majority of the time it goes long, over their heads. We know James Garner and Onana can pass a ball but we don't let them and I think it has affected their confidence a bit. They must be fed up with the outdated tactics. I know I am.

I don't know how anyone can slate the midfielders the way we play. We do not use them as footballers, the majority of the time it goes long, over their heads. We know James Garner and Onana can pass a ball but we don't let them and I think it has affected their confidence a bit. They must be fed up with the outdated tactics. I know I am.
This is exactly it, watch them for around the first 60 minutes of a game, probably less more recently. They receive the ball, pass it, move and expect to receive it back. Instead it goes to pickford and hoofed over their heads, they then have to turn and transition into defending again. After the 60 minutes you can see them mentally thinking, what's the point? I'm constantly taking to my 13 year old who plays cm, watch their movement off the ball, the pockets of space they find but the rest of the team have obviously been told not play like that and not to have confidence in giving the midfield the ball, even under the slightest bit of pressure. Onana in particular has obviously been told to sit and not break the lines. You can see him move to go beyond Dacoure and then think again and drop back into cover the back line. This can only come from the manager and the system he wants to play.

Average positions vs Newcastle

Literally nobody moves in this prehistoric setup that we play. Our players may not be CL quality but Jesus, you can see why they look poor.

I feel for Onana having to play in this
IMG_3034.jpeg

Average positions vs Newcastle

Literally nobody moves in this prehistoric setup that we play. Our players may not be CL quality but Jesus, you can see why they look poor.

I feel for Onana having to play in this
View attachment 251307
He's just fresh back (acually playing on injuries) from competing perfectly well against Rice and Bellingham.

But there is not room for mitigation or even objectivity from our gammony fan base, look at him, he is clearly 'lazy'

That’s a very logical way of looking at it. Doucoure has scored some important goals this season but he isn’t a number 10. Likewise neither is Gomes, his ball retention is good and he has vision to pick a pass but he lacks mobility. Harrison would probably be most suited to the role but we haven’t got a perfect fit for that role. The major problem for me isn’t just the chances been missed. It’s the use of the ball when we turn it over which on our better performance we have done effectively. The other week against United we should have created far better chance with the position we found ourselves in. A better quality attack would have put them to the sword. We have probably dropped 20 points on that metric alone. That then puts extra pressure on the defensive line because we are not making the most of our attacking opportunities.
Dele would be well suited to the number 10 role, but we all know that deal. Injured, unclear if he would be in the right frame of mind, would be "on the grass" forever to get to Dyche's level of required fitness, and of course, if we played him more than a few times, we'd owe Spurs a king's ransom that would nearly plunge us into administration. Really sad we never got to see a motivated, in-form Dele in action for Everton. And we won't re-sign him in the summer due to wages alone, let alone further obligations that would kick in to Spurs.